• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Evo usernames clarification please

GrandMasterDash

Masternode Owner/Operator
Can someone please shed some light on how usernames will be managed? From the conference stream, it seems usernames will be distributed via invitation. Little else has been shared. This subject concerns me and I would appreciate some discussion about it. Even if Core doesn't want to disclose full details, at least give us some assurances that a mechanism is in place to deal with the following issues.

Is the choice of username granted on a first-come-first-serve basis?

What happens to trademark usernames?

Can a username be linked and verified to:
- a domain name
- a phone number
- physical address
- celebrity status

Can a username be changed or transferred?

Do usernames have any expiry? What measures are in place to limit username squatting?

Can a username / account have sub-names / accounts?

Is there a structure / format that allow username hierarchy e.g. clearly belonging to a specific business / organization?

Also, there was talk about password-less actions (which sounds great) - that a phone app would prompt to confirm actions such as payments. But what is stopping a spam attack for payment requests / confirmations?

Thanks

@Chuck Williams Sorry, wasn't sure who else to summon. Not looking for specifics, just hoping someone can say, "yes, we've got this well covered" or "we have some issues regarding xyz".

Silence.

Hmm, then perhaps I can speculate and hope dash will use Blockstack's user identity system as used in OpenBazaar. Then we can use the same username across multiple crypto platforms.

Think of it like twitter handles and how those were chosen. IP will be respected and enforced.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Woops, saw that no-one answered you @GrandMasterDash
Given the date, I think I have an idea about the why(we were at a team heavy workshop around these dates).

Is the choice of username granted on a first-come-first-serve basis?
At the final state, theses will be unique identifier. There is economics avoiding name-squatting, and decentralized method to handle some very specific cases.

What happens to trademark usernames?
Not a 100% closed topic, but this was one of the biggest discussion that we run since, wow, many months now. I think the solution we found solve the issue around that, but we remain open during DIP process to further improvements.
Don't hesitate to suggest your concern or solution you might have in mind in this thread :)

Can a username be linked and verified to:
- a domain name
- a phone number
- physical address
- celebrity status
How could a username be linked to a physical address or a phone number ? Well, may be if you create a username being a hex representation of a JSON object where all these data are setup, then it could, but this is clearly a voluntary basis (and I don't recommand such a usage). Don't hesitate to detail more this one.

Can a username be changed or transferred?
We indeed have discussed about that. Any thought you want to share ?

Do usernames have any expiry? What measures are in place to limit username squatting?
Among other stuff, there is economics behind the whole system. It indeed a huge concern as I was myself a typosquatter - thanks SEDO :D

Can a username / account have sub-names / accounts?
We addressed that question. Any thoughts ?

Is there a structure / format that allow username hierarchy e.g. clearly belonging to a specific business / organization?
We had multiple discussion around that.

Also, there was talk about password-less actions (which sounds great) - that a phone app would prompt to confirm actions such as payments. But what is stopping a spam attack for payment requests / confirmations?
I really hate repeating that, sorry... But we indeed addressed that question;

In general terms, your concerns are awesome, we had the same (among other that you still didn't came up with - yet :p There is other type of attack possible, some are more technical, some are tricky).

Obviously, you can imagine that this is clearly part of the reason of why we don't released Evolution yet, you touched here ONE simple subject, and the number of writings done around this subject is quite amazing, but there you can, I think, easily see the complexity behind the whole Evolution system. I think you could really enjoy pushing a little more your question on your head, try to imagine other type of attack, go dirtier, imagine solution we could have find, and try to attack the solution itself. Expends that on other Evolution's aspect. It can be exhausting, but you will love it I can assure you (at least, myself I love that !)

Sadly, and i'm sincere, I can't answer you easily, I can just tell you that none of your questions wasn't discussed (started months ago), and that's why it's important for us to close all these matters at the lastest time possible (which is what we are doing with DIPs it's a way to define final state on those matters). Obviously, I could admit that I would love to have them opened more, but at one point, we need to disclose them for having the community to evaluate, attack etc...
I hope we could count on you on that ! :D

Long story short : We had numerous discussions and we continue to bring new stuff on the table.. The major reason of my unpossibility to answer you is that we want to keep open till the day we publish the DIP, therefore not making any decision on a thread that weren't agreed by all (and I won't ask for full team validation for that post;

But obviously, I still invite you to ask more issues here, I will try to find time to read them and if there is an un-adressed one, I will bring that on the table, but probably you also want to write them down on a document or something, and when DIP are out, try to find them all addressed, therefore if one isn't, then you will be able to post something around that and contribute too ! :D

@Obusco thank you for the reply, it's great that core are now engaging more with us, really appreciated.

My main concern with usernames / identity is Yet Another Naming System. My thought is, if the wheel is going to be re-invented, it better be a really good wheel! Otherwise, I think it might be best to join forces with other identity projects such as Blockstack, which is used by a few projects, including OpenBazaar.

@Obusco thank you for the reply, it's great that core are now engaging more with us, really appreciated.

My main concern with usernames / identity is Yet Another Naming System. My thought is, if the wheel is going to be re-invented, it better be a really good wheel! Otherwise, I think it might be best to join forces with other identity projects such as Blockstack, which is used by a few projects, including OpenBazaar.

I'm agreeing with you, thus, I way more than just a name. We aren't talking here about an alias :)
And at the difference with Blockstack, we don't rely on Centralized endpoint (the network own and control 100% of the data). Obviously, I must admit that it would be way easier to just prepare wrapper to reach central external point.
Actually, If it was Alias + Wrapper for cloud provider, I would have holidays :p

I'm agreeing with you, thus, I way more than just a name. We aren't talking here about an alias :)
And at the difference with Blockstack, we don't rely on Centralized endpoint (the network own and control 100% of the data). Obviously, I must admit that it would be way easier to just prepare wrapper to reach central external point.
Actually, If it was Alias + Wrapper for cloud provider, I would have holidays :p

Okay, I wait patiently and curiously to see what comes :)

Back