Evan's InstantX Demo on YouTube

Ch0nG

Oct 3, 2014
That was pretty amazing, my only question is what would the "real world" time be? The MNs were local (same LAN) so would a "real world" situation be that fast? Or would it be closer to ~10 seconds? (Which is amazing in itself, anyway.)

Reactions: georgem

AjM

Foundation Member
Jun 23, 2014
Finland
That was pretty amazing, my only question is what would the "real world" time be? The MNs were local (same LAN) so would a "real world" situation be that fast? Or would it be closer to ~10 seconds? (Which is amazing in itself, anyway.)
Evan said earlier it is about 20-30 sec in real world, but we will see it when testing begins.

crowning

May 29, 2014
Alpha Centauri Bc
From my experience with the delay of Masternodes talking to each other it's closer to 30 seconds, which is still amazing.

Of course this depends which Masternodes are actually selected for voting, if all happen to be well connected it'll be much faster

Edit: if you would like to have to look for yourself, check the Masternode log for how long it takes for the current masternode-voting to finish.

InstantX should more or less need the same time.

TaoOfSatoshi

Grizzled Member
Jul 15, 2014
Dash Nation
www.dashnation.com

Well done!

Evan, next time please turn off the heater :D
My take on the video:

https://www.rebelmouse.com/TaoOfSatoshi/TheDark/

I'm promoting this site run by the Darkcoin Chameleon as a one stop shop for Darkcoin news, opinion and creativity! Tweets (From anyone) with the hashtags #GetIntoTheDark, #BuildTheDarkness, or #DarkcoinChameleon will go to their respective sections on my site automatically!

Check it out, and spread the word!

eduffield Great job, Evan! Don't forget I still need an answer about the Bitcoin Rush episode: interview or monologue, and when could you have it done?

Last edited by a moderator:

Ch0nG

Oct 3, 2014
Evan said earlier it is about 20-30 sec in real world, but we will see it when testing begins.
Ah, I must have missed that. I found it on BCT here:
eduffield said:
2 seconds was in a very small local environment! It should be 20-30 seconds in production, 10 if we're lucky.

From my experience with the delay of Masternodes talking to each other it's closer to 30 seconds, which is still amazing.
Of course this depends which Masternodes are actually selected for voting, if all happen to be well connected it'll be much faster

Edit: if you would like to have to look for yourself, check the Masternode log for how long it takes for the current masternode-voting to finish.

InstantX should more or less need the same time.
Gotcha, it sounds like the process goes like this:
- InstantX transaction is sent.
- Ten Masternodes confirm the payment is legitimate and going only where it says it is (i.e. no double-spending).
- Based on this the payment is confirmed and processed in ~10-30 seconds.
- This payment also "shows up" in the next block.

thelonecrouton

Foundation Member
Apr 15, 2014
If I do an InstanTX with a tx lock of x blocks, is that viewable somehow by someone else on the network? eg, can I prove to someone that the input(s) are locked for x blocks?

eg. can funds be verifiably (by a 3rd party, via the txid or something) locked for an extended duration?

tungfa

Grizzled Member
Foundation Member
Masternode Owner/Operator
Apr 9, 2014
We should keep this code proprietary for at least six months so that the other coins don't steal DRK's Thunder !!!

Reactions: moli and elgringo

elgringo

Sep 23, 2014
def keep the instanx code secret if possible, atm nothing to be gained in making it public
plus hope the developers can somehow leverage the current momentum and further develop darksend

Reactions: moli

stan.distortion

Oct 30, 2014
Wtf? Open source except when its not? Sure, keep it quiet until happy releasing it but eyes on the code is what makes it solid and helps it evolve. Sorry for the rant but there's a lot of stuff popping up on the financial services end of cryptos making a big deal about their propitiatory code and it really gets my goat, secrets hinder innovation.

Reactions: fernando

UdjinM6

Official Dash Dev
Core Developer
Dash Core Group
May 20, 2014
6 month is way too much imo. How about we go the same way as for Darksend? Testing, private code review (by Kristov Atlas again or someone other security expert who can be trusted), fixing, opensource?

Reactions: stan.distortion

moli

Grizzled Member
Aug 5, 2014
Can't wait to test this on Testnet! But I guess there's not much to test at all?

moli

Grizzled Member
Aug 5, 2014
6 month is way too much imo. How about we go the same way as for Darksend? Testing, private code review (by Kristov Atlas again or someone other security expert who can be trusted), fixing, opensource?
I wouldn't mind at all if InstantX is never open sourced. This is totally different than Darksend.

recan86

Jun 8, 2014
I wouldn't mind at all if InstantX is never open sourced. This is totally different than Darksend.
Yes but open source is the principle on what all crypto is based. Would you have used anything crypto if somewhere in the white paper it said " this section not open source ...copyright...blah blah blah"

Innovation starts with competition. This is why imo DRK exists. BTC was good and new and fresh and here comes a lot of people who just copy and pasted the code and renamed it to something else. Darkcoin is a game changer and I believe in it BUT I can't say that I would feel the same way if it was all of a sudden closed source in any major aspect.

Reactions: stan.distortion

crowning

May 29, 2014
Alpha Centauri Bc
def keep the instanx code secret if possible, atm nothing to be gained in making it public
plus hope the developers can somehow leverage the current momentum and further develop darksend
We don't have to...InstantX (in the way it is implemented) is only possible with the existing Masternode network, and so far no other currency has something like this.

And building a secure Masternode network (means enough of them in independent(!) hands) from scratch needs some time and is very tricky when your new currency has almost no real value, means everyone and his little sister can buy into a Masternode for 10 Satoshi and try to trick the system.

JGCMiner

Jun 8, 2014
We don't have to...InstantX (in the way it is implemented) is only possible with the existing Masternode network, and so far no other currency has something like this.

And building a secure Masternode network (means enough of them in independent(!) hands) from scratch needs some time and is very tricky when your new currency has almost no real value, means everyone and his little sister can buy into a Masternode for 10 Satoshi and try to trick the system.
Exactly.

There is no reason to give opponents and FUDers more ammo by going closed source when without a trustworthy MN network copying and pasting the source is useless.

fernando