• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Error: You must specific a masternodeprivkey in the configuration.

Jonathan

Hello everyone! :)
I followed chaeplin's excellent instructions for setting up a master node. Thank you so much, chaeplin!
However, when I get to step 15, when I run darkcoind again, I get the error in this thread's title.
I've tried searching for a solution, but I've been unable to resolve this. (Sorry for the likely stupid question.)
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
For anyone who might encounter the same problem in the future and find this thread, I figured out the solution.

I first tried executing "darkcoind masternode genkey", but I'd get the error "error: couldn't connect to server". The solution was to momentarily change masternode=1 back to 0 in darkcoin.conf. That's what was tripping me up.

So, to recap:

Edit darkcoin.conf, change masternode=1 to masternode=0
Run: darkcoind masternode genkey
Take note of the above outputted key, and copy it into darkcoin.conf like so: masternodeprivkey=COPY_KEY_HERE
Revert masternode=0 back to masternode=1
Run: darkcoind

Tada!

Best wishes,
Jonathan

Now, second question:
Putting a private key in a config file in plaintext like this seems wrong to me, unless I'm misunderstanding something here. Please let me know if I'm doing something wrong. (And I'll edit the above too!) Thanks everyone!

I will let someone else answer this one. Just read that this was a secondary key (not sure what for), no money linked to it.

Now, second question:
Putting a private key in a config file in plaintext like this seems wrong to me, unless I'm misunderstanding something here. Please let me know if I'm doing something wrong. (And I'll edit the above too!) Thanks everyone!
You didn't missunderstood, that's how it should be done. Don't worry about the key, despite the name it is in fact a public key. You can find details of how it works in this thread by Evan:
https://darkcointalk.org/threads/new-version-9-4-0-and-10-8-0.690/
The second paragraph:
Masternodes now sign their 1000DRK vin for the first message to the network, then they specific a second pubkey that they will sign all further messages with. This second signing key must be specified for all masternodes in the configuration with the option "masternodeprivkey"

Back