• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Error when attempting to get private key of 0th address

I'm using a fresh wallet, not copied from another source. I'm also using libdb4.8 as recommended by the darkcoin source documentation located in doc/build-unix.md instead of 5.1 or 5.3. Should I be using something different than libdb4.8?
Any version will work incase wallet moving as long as two system has same libdb version.

Can anyone suggest a different guide I can examine for setting up a DRK masternode using cold-storage? I would like to compare the steps of another guide with the one I'm currently using to see if they differ.

I'm using v0.9.11.6-beta obtained directly from the git source https://github.com/darkcoinproject/darkcoin.git on 7/18/2014.

According to the guide I posted, you should be getting your darkcoind from:
https://github.com/darkcoinproject/darkcoin-binaries/raw/master/rc/darkcoin-0.10.11.6-linux.tar.gz

This would also mean you should be running 10.11.6 rather than 9.11.6

I'm sorry if it took me a while to get back to you....I've been SUPER busy with work lately. I will subscribe to this thread so I am notified of any further post and will answer them as promptly as I can.

Hi ScioMind, thanks for the reply :) I downloaded the tarball you linked and used the 64bit binary included but unfortunately I'm still receiving the same error when I issue the 'darkcoind dumpprivkey <darkcoin 0th address>' command. Any ideas?

Hi ScioMind, thanks for the reply :) I downloaded the tarball you linked and used the 64bit binary included but unfortunately I'm still receiving the same error when I issue the 'darkcoind dumpprivkey <darkcoin 0th address>' command. Any ideas?
I have never encountered this problem before. I am going to offer some suggestions or things to try...sorry if some of it sounds a bit "stupid," for lack of a better word. I'm just trying to eliminate some possible issues.

When you issue the dumpprivkey, command, I am assuming you are not including the <brackets>. You should not be. Also, I am assuming that you are directly copying and pasting the address, rather than trying to type it all in by hand. I am not sure if it would make a difference but be sure there are no extra spaces before or after the address.

You should also verify that the address you are trying to get the private key for is actually IN your wallet. First you need to list all the "accounts" in your wallet, and then you need to list all the addresses for each account. You should see your 0th address somewhere.
darkcoind listaccounts
(Then for each account, remembering to omit the brackets:)
darkcoind getaddressesbyaccount <account>

Before you installed darkcoin, did you update your system as follows:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Let me know if any of this helps.

Hi ScioMind, thanks for the input. When I'm issuing the dumpprivkey command I'm not including brackets, nor extra spaces. I'm copying/pasting the address and I've tried it with/without quotes. I can definitely see the address in my wallet (only address in there, it's a brand new wallet) and copied/pasted directly from the 'getaddressbyaccount' ouput for the dumprivkey command which results in the same error. The system (Ubuntu 14.04) has all of the latest packages installed and is running the latest kernel obtained from 'dist-upgrade'.

I'm curious if there is a step that has been left out or out of order in the guide that's causing this as I've followed it very closely.

Hi ScioMind, thanks for the input. When I'm issuing the dumpprivkey command I'm not including brackets, nor extra spaces. I'm copying/pasting the address and I've tried it with/without quotes. I can definitely see the address in my wallet (only address in there, it's a brand new wallet) and copied/pasted directly from the 'getaddressbyaccount' ouput for the dumprivkey command which results in the same error. The system (Ubuntu 14.04) has all of the latest packages installed and is running the latest kernel obtained from 'dist-upgrade'.

I'm curious if there is a step that has been left out or out of order in the guide that's causing this as I've followed it very closely.

I have to admit I really don't know why you're having this problem. To my knowledge, no one else following my guide had this issue. The last possibility I can think of is that perhaps this needs to be on ubuntu 12.04 LTS, rather than 14.04. For my own setup, 14.04 is on my remote server, but 12.04 is on my local machine -- which is the machine from which you are issuing the dumpprivkey command.

If you are getting to the point where you have no other ideas, perhaps you could do a fresh install of 12.04 and see if it works then.

I have been googling this issue and can't seem to find any good clues there either. Please keep me posted about your progress...I want to see you get this running, and would like to know how you resolve it, assuming you do.

Hi ScioMind, I appreciate the follow-up! That's actually the next step I'm taking is to reload the 'local' machine with Ubuntu 12.04 instead of Ubuntu 14.04. I tested the same commands on the 'remote' server that's currently running Ubuntu 12.04 and it works great.

Thanks for the quick reply! If you find that using 12.04 does solve your problem then I will edit my guides to reflect that. Good luck!

Code:
darkcoind dumpprivkey <0th address>
error: {"code":-4,"message":"Private key for address <0th address> is not known"}

This error happens when wallet is locked also.

So please check again if wallet is encrypted.

Code:
darkcointestnet@e-H87-HD3:~/.darkcoin/testnet3$ darkcoind getinfo
{
    "version" : 101209,
    "protocolversion" : 70022,
    "walletversion" : 60000,
    "balance" : 0.00000000,
    "blocks" : 7392,
    "timeoffset" : 0,
    "connections" : 8,
    "proxy" : "",
    "difficulty" : 0.04955867,
    "testnet" : true,
    "keypoololdest" : 1406905498,
    "keypoolsize" : 1000,
    "paytxfee" : 0.00000000,
    "mininput" : 0.00001000,
    "unlocked_until" : 0,
    "errors" : ""
}

darkcointestnet@e-H87-HD3:~/.darkcoin/testnet3$ darkcoind getaccountaddress ""
mhLRm4VP84DyPVZ1H9uNwBQBhjHroPK6WS
darkcointestnet@e-H87-HD3:~/.darkcoin/testnet3$ darkcoind dumpprivkey mhLRm4VP84DyPVZ1H9uNwBQBhjHroPK6WS
error: {"code":-4,"message":"Private key for address mhLRm4VP84DyPVZ1H9uNwBQBhjHroPK6WS is not known"}

darkcointestnet@e-H87-HD3:~/.darkcoin/testnet3$ darkcoind walletpassphrase 1 1000
darkcointestnet@e-H87-HD3:~/.darkcoin/testnet3$ darkcoind dumpprivkey mhLRm4VP84DyPVZ1H9uNwBQBhjHroPK6WS
cVYSADMVHMFhHFfLZPrpVi1PdoxuFV6yAkXKCKFF4k3dXPD57FLS

Hello, just wanted to touch base on this topic. We decided to go with using a Mac desktop for the LOCAL cold-storage side and that seems to be working just fine however we ran into a different issue which I created a separate thread on.

Thanks everyone for their input and assistance :D

Back