• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Equipment Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Serpent1126

Any advice would be great. I have not done any crypto mining other than a few tries a few years ago on a pc. The company I work for does IT stuff and one of the data centers I deal with offered to give me a full rack for $400 a month, with unlimited internet, power, and they keep the data center 60 degrees year-round. I am thinking of getting the rack and putting it to use for mining. Good idea or bad idea and why? If it is a good idea what equipment would you suggest? Any help would be great.

Thanks

Any advice would be great. I have not done any crypto mining other than a few tries a few years ago on a pc. The company I work for does IT stuff and one of the data centers I deal with offered to give me a full rack for $400 a month, with unlimited internet, power, and they keep the data center 60 degrees year-round. I am thinking of getting the rack and putting it to use for mining. Good idea or bad idea and why? If it is a good idea what equipment would you suggest? Any help would be great.

Thanks

Unless you plan on mining a CPU algo coin, you will need ASICs to mine coins, and there are not many CPU mineable
coins worth mining.

That is about as far as I got with my research. ASICs look like the only option these days. I am not sure if I am confused the way I am looking at them. Besides being hard to get it seems that the vast majority of them you would barely break even on even with factoring in the power.

The best Mining success rule is always to use your 50% of mining profit for up-gradation of your machine and sold old machine even if it is profitable.

If you've got free electricity then it's fairly easy to be profitable, previous generation hardware can pay for it's self in a reasonable timeframe but genuinely free electricity isn't easy to find. Mining in rented accommodation was a big thing at one point, the landlord priced normal electricity costs in the rent but when they where hit with huge electricity bills they weren't happy, quite a lot of court cases over it. Maybe your data centre has a renewable supply with a surplus but that isn't likely, getting genuinely free electricity is the key point imo and that pretty much always means a renewable installation.

Well, equipment for mining is very expensive and problematic as well. I'm working in Computer service and the owner used to have 12 mining station. Every station had a 6 RX 580 Radeon. And he was getting every day 0.2 Ethereum. That sounds good, right? but the issue was graphics cards. There were so many issues with it, changing them for the new one. So if you want to start mining you should think about graphic cards, that's the most important thing in this business. The worst part is that since the new year price of the graphic card went up and it almost doubled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back