• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Energy consumption

TKing

H!

Since 2013 i've been a bitcoin fan... but have become a dashfan more and more... many friends of mine I've confinced about Dash, for some of them their first crypto experience...

But there is a question I have about Dash for months now: I read about the bitcoin price being 10.000 dollar, the global energy consumption would be 0.3% of global energy usage, and expands lineair with the price, which I find horrific. But how is this with Dash? I hope it's more efficient. Is there an estimate of powerconsumption of Dash and is there a lineair correlation with the price of Dash?

Thanks in advance!

G!

H!

Since 2013 i've been a bitcoin fan... but have become a dashfan more and more... many friends of mine I've confinced about Dash, for some of them their first crypto experience...

But there is a question I have about Dash for months now: I read about the bitcoin price being 10.000 dollar, the global energy consumption would be 0.3% of global energy usage, and expands lineair with the price, which I find horrific. But how is this with Dash? I hope it's more efficient. Is there an estimate of powerconsumption of Dash and is there a lineair correlation with the price of Dash?

Thanks in advance!

G!

It depends where it's coming from. A lot of the power for Bitcoin mining is from renewable sources and many of those sources where built specifically to mine Bitcoin so they have no negative impact on global energy consumption and would likely lead to a positive impact (more profitable to sell power than mine with it). The amount of power consumed might seem like a dubious foundation to build an economy on but todays dollar was built on exactly the same foundations, energy.

When it comes to Dash the question's a little different, is 100% of that power necessary? Ie. does all coin generation need to be backed by energy or only a part of it? With bitcoin it's 100% whereas with Dash mining only receives 45% (masternodes another 45% and the budget 10%) so it seems like a fraction of the power is just as valid as the full amount but it's not really been considered much, it's part of what gives cryptocurrencies value and that's a big subject!

As touched on by Stan...

Sure, crypto in general takes a certain amount of energy to create and maintain.

How much energy does it take to maintain the U.S. Navy to make sure nobody misbehaves too much in the middle east, which disrupts oil deliveries, which affects the dollar.

but todays dollar was built on exactly the same foundations, energy
How much energy does it take to maintain the U.S. Navy to make sure nobody misbehaves too much in the middle east, which disrupts oil deliveries, which affects the dollar
Hum... I'm not sure I agree with that kind of arguments guys. Because dollar has been doing the same or worse then it's ok ?

Energy is a hot topic and, at least in Europe, organic food is flooding the market and renewable ernegy is taken into account more every day by people. There is already at least two coins that have started a project based on green energy. A decade ago or two, every business betting on the green/organic/renewable was said to be crazy. Now, everybody is doing it in Europe. Aside from whatever everybody thinks about energy, climate change and so on, planning for a green powered dash system is both feasible and making sense as far as marketing is concerned.

When the Dash network can own stuff, it could even have its own windmill our solar panel field

I love renewable energy. The more the better. But I don't want people to overlook the fact that fiat takes energy too, so is Dash actually worse than fiat for energy consumption?

Hum... I'm not sure I agree with that kind of arguments guys. Because dollar has been doing the same or worse then it's ok ?

There's the principle, the idea, and then there's the implementation, 2 different things and the principle of using energy as the foundation of an economy is a good one because we use so damn much of it and it's a perfect (energy) economy, every drop of oil can be accounted for and that passes on to the dollar economy flowing the other way.

It's like Satoshis idea looked damn near perfect initially and the possibilities for improving on it only showed up over time, a trillion dollars a year for an army to ensure all oil trade is in dollars is an obvious screwup just like miners being able to hold a whole network to ransom is a screwup. No need to throw out the whole concept because of them but very hard to fix them without good governance.

Energy is a hot topic and, at least in Europe, organic food is flooding the market and renewable ernegy is taken into account more every day by people. There is already at least two coins that have started a project based on green energy. A decade ago or two, every business betting on the green/organic/renewable was said to be crazy. Now, everybody is doing it in Europe. Aside from whatever everybody thinks about energy, climate change and so on, planning for a green powered dash system is both feasible and making sense as far as marketing is concerned.

When the Dash network can own stuff, it could even have its own windmill our solar panel field

That would be my ideal situation, all core aspects of the network powered from renewable energy sources but that's a major undertaking and it's debatable whether it's even possible (ie. verifiable it's 100% renewable) and how much value it would have in real world terms is questionable too, folks like to preach green far more than they practice. Building and maintaining renewable energy installations is probably too far outside the scope of "digital cash" but it's a project I would love to propose, I doubt it would gain support at this stage but maybe one day :)

Well it would be very interesting to get an good estimation about Dash's electricity consumption.

Bitcoin consumes more than a country like Croatia.
https://digiconomist.net/bitcoin-energy-consumption

The mining activity of Ethereum uses as much electricity as a country like Cyprus so 4.2 TW⋅h

And we are far away from mass adoption so I guess that the consumption will increase much more.

While we are living in a world that is struggling to improve our ecological awareness and trying to meet agreements between all countries to protect the planet, the rise of cryptocurrency goes in the other direction on this matter. So yes I love this idea of Dash owning solar plants (when it will be possible in the futur).
Dash should be able to produce as much of green energy as our theoretical consumption, and if we exceed it, it will be even better for our image.

I see many advantages about this:
  • When promoting Dash for mass adoption, a think a lot of criticism will focuse on the ecological problem. Producing renewable energy will solve this problem and give us an considerable advantage against other crytpos.

• Dash will convey a modern and green image. That could be a good marketing way to promote Dash.

• The electricity that we will produce and sell will allow profits to buy new solar plants. The system will grow self-sufficiently.

• Oh and yes, we will contribute to save the planet (well at least not destroy it :)

Back