• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Emptied one masternode to feed another, aaarrhh

daf

Hello guys,
Some days ago I successfully set up my first masternode. Everything went smoothly, thanks to Tao's excellent guide for the newbie that I am (using Dash-QT on a local Mac).

Today I wanted to set up a second masternode. I bought 1000 dash on an exchange and sent them to my main Dash reception address (on Dash-QT, now totalling 2000 dash). Then I self-sent 1000 dash to a freshly created address intended to become the one tied to the new masternode.
Later I realized that my first masternode stopped working. It's rather obscure to me but it seems that the 1000 I sent to myself were taken from the first batch of 1000 (justifying the first masternode existence up to that point…) rather than the second pack of 1000 (retrieved today from on an exchange…).

My Dash-QT wallet still has 2000 dash. The "masternode outputs" only shows one masternode, presumably the newer one.

What can I do in Dash-QT to bring the first masternode back to life?

Sorry for being so noob. Any help truly appreciated.

Hello guys,
Some days ago I successfully set up my first masternode. Everything went smoothly, thanks to Tao's excellent guide for the newbie that I am (using Dash-QT on a local Mac).

Today I wanted to set up a second masternode. I bought 1000 dash on an exchange and sent them to my main Dash reception address (on Dash-QT, now totalling 2000 dash). Then I self-sent 1000 dash to a freshly created address intended to become the one tied to the new masternode.
Later I realized that my first masternode stopped working. It's rather obscure to me but it seems that the 1000 I sent to myself were taken from the first batch of 1000 (justifying the first masternode existence up to that point…) rather than the second pack of 1000 (retrieved today from on an exchange…).

My Dash-QT wallet still has 2000 dash. The "masternode outputs" only shows one masternode, presumably the newer one.

What can I do in Dash-QT to bring the first masternode back to life?

Sorry for being so noob. Any help truly appreciated.
What wallet address is your masternode/2000 Dash using?

Thanks Flare for your help. My Dash-QT wallet has 3 addresses:
  • "main": balance is currently 1000
  • "masternode 1" : 0
  • "masternode 2" : 1000
For some reason, when I sent 1000 to "masternode 2" earlier today, they were taken from "masternode 1" instead of "main", disabling masternode 1.
There must be a way to force Dash-QT to send from a specific internal address to another internal address… but how?

For some reason, when I sent 1000 to "masternode 2" earlier today, they were taken from "masternode 1" instead of "main", disabling masternode 1.
There must be a way to force Dash-QT to send from a specific internal address to another internal address… but how?
Actually i need the pubkeys of "main" and "masternode 2" to help you out :)

Yes, go to PREFERENCES / OPTIONS / WALLET --> tick the coin control feature

You need to use it to not take down the masternodes (1000 inputs)
Now use the other coins by ticking the inputs instead of masternode 2 to send coins to your masternode 1

Thanks guys. I guess my problem had less to do with masternodes than pure Dash noobiness. I hadn't even spotted the "coin control" preference.

I've just successfully sent 1000 dash from my "main" address to my "masternode 1" address. Will it be enough to bring the vanished masternode back from the dead?

Thanks guys. I guess my problem had less to do with masternodes than pure Dash noobiness. I hadn't even spotted the "coin control" preference.

I've just successfully sent 1000 dash from my "main" address to my "masternode 1" address. Will it be enough to bring the vanished masternode back from the dead?
If you want to start both nodes from the same wallet (which i assume) you will need a "masternode.conf" file to use "start-many" command.

You need to start it again from the local wallet using the start-many command as flare said, but to do it first you need to complete the masternode.conf file correctly.

Back