• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

ELI5 What's with the crazy jump in Difficulty??

Syntor

I know I am still green to most of this.. but I just looked at the last 20 blocks found on the DarkCoinTalk pool and good gawd!!
From 804 to 8,060 in less than 48 hours?!?! Am I missing something?? Is this due to the Forks or are that many people pointing that many rigs at Dark right now? Or dare I say are we in the middle of a pump and dump?? I am way to new and green to understand the workings of all this, hence the ELI5! :cool:

I was wondering the same...how can difficulty be so insanely high? The DRK price has lowered a bit in the latest days, so what's going on?

Well, I know the lowering in price was due to the Hard Fork ( and subsequent mini-forks) and general chaos of the last couple of days.. I am just wondering if all the new jump is from some of these massive rigs/farms trying to ramp up to 1000Drk to prepare for purchasing new Masternodes..

I could be wrong please correct me someone if I am, but it looks like to me the difficulty doesn't change as the hash lowers. So if the hash drops due to price drops the diff doesn't adjust to attract miners. Like I said could be wrong but that is what I see. It looks like an all in kind of thing. Maybe one of the Devs could explain.

I always understood the Gravity Well to adjust as hash adjusts.. If there is a sharp spike (like in a pump and dump) then the difficulty soars to help curb the pump.. Looking at the current block on DarkCoinTalk it has dropped to 6418 and the next block will lower again to 5412.. so whatever happened was pretty big and swift, that's for sure..

vtec.. I promise there is a hell of a lot more that I don't know, than I do!! LOL :confused:
I am just trying to piece it together as much as possible! So there's just a good a chance that I am wrong about that as there is a chance that I am right about it!! :cool:

So help me please to understand the final thought on this. Let's say your logic is correct here, what will be the immediate effect? Do you think that this is an indication of a lot of activity in the positive direction or potential for temporary negative action? I think either way it will all level out once people realize that Evan and the Dev team moved faster then any Alt coin in history to solve realtime issues. That's awesome, and in the end will benefit us time and time again. Just curious what you think it will do in next 24 hr?

I could be wrong please correct me someone if I am, but it looks like to me the difficulty doesn't change as the hash lowers. So if the hash drops due to price drops the diff doesn't adjust to attract miners. Like I said could be wrong but that is what I see. It looks like an all in kind of thing. Maybe one of the Devs could explain.
Well if a block is found within the estimated time, the difficulty will rise. So if, by chance, has power lowers but blocks are found in the estimated period of time, the difficulty will not decrease as expected

Back