• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Electrum-Dash (Pre-Proposal Planning)

fible1

Dash Core Group
Masternode Owner/Operator
(CLOSED)

I have been playing with Electrum for a few weeks but a key flaw was recently pointed out to me: Electrum-Dash does not appear to support coin control (which is weird because Bitcoin Electrum does support it). This is really a deal breaker for masternode owners because it makes masternode management very burdensome; I know a lot of us were looking forward to migrating to Trezor with Electrum after the release of 12.1. Electrum is also generally pretty buggy, but it does do the job.

I would like to start a treasury proposal to add coin control features to electrum-dash and get it functional for use with masternodes on 12.1. Perhaps down the road we could add a second proposal to streamline the interface. Unfortunately I am not friends with a lot of developers, so is there anyone here who is fluent in Python who could help? We can discuss details and scope first and go from there.

Feel free to PM me with feedback.

Pablo.

Last edited:
I have been playing with Electrum for a few weeks but a key flaw was recently pointed out to me: Electrum-Dash does not appear to support coin control (which is weird because Bitcoin Electrum does support it).
Interesting.. Which version are referring to? Stable mainnet version i.e. Electrum Dash 2.4.1 has it. Development version 2.6.4 (at least the one which can be found https://dashpay.atlassian.net/builds/browse/ELMW-DEV-120/artifact) has it too. Both "Freeze" and "Send from" parts of it, not sure if there is anything else in original Bitcoin Electrum. Haven't tested if they actually work properly or not though. Is that what you mean? The doesn't seem to work for you?

Hey Udjin :),
Electrum Dash 2.4.1 is the one without coin control.at least that I can find. Can you provide instructions on how to run coin control as you say that 2.4.1 has itl? I tried everything I could think of :).

I tried to get 2.6.4 running from Github but it threw out a lot of errors on startup such as missing files, etc. I was unaware of the build you just linked but I am on Ubuntu and am unable to test it. Is there perhaps a Linux build, or can you please put one together?

Pablo.

Last edited:
Hey Udjin :),
Electrum Dash 2.4.1 is the one without coin control.at least that I can find. Can you provide instructions on how to run coin control as you say that 2.4.1 has itl? I tried everything I could think of :).
Well, just like in original Electrum - go to Addresses, right click, choose "Freeze" or "Send from" depending on actions you need. At least that's the only coin control in Electrum I'm aware of. Or is there anything else in original Electrum?

I tried to get 2.6.4 running from Github but it threw out a lot of errors on startup such as missing files, etc. I was unaware of the build you just linked but I am on Ubuntu and am unable to test it. Is there perhaps a Linux build, or can you please put one together?

Pablo.
Ah, I checked windows build only (tried it on win 10), not sure if there are proper build for other platforms yet.

@UdjinM6

I can confirm that "freeze" and "send from" exist in the wallet. A bit hidden but its there. My question would be this: "Send from" apparently will select all the inputs to an address. For example, say I have a masternode with 1000 coins, and I get 7 coins as rewards; what would be the procedure to freeze the 1000 coins to begin with, but withdraw the 7 coins WITHOUT taking the node offline?

Thanks in advance for your help :).

Pablo.

@UdjinM6

I can confirm that "freeze" and "send from" exist in the wallet. A bit hidden but its there. My question would be this: "Send from" apparently will select all the inputs to an address. For example, say I have a masternode with 1000 coins, and I get 7 coins as rewards; what would be the procedure to freeze the 1000 coins to begin with, but withdraw the 7 coins WITHOUT taking the node offline?

Thanks in advance for your help :).

Pablo.
I guess so, I'm neither familiar with Electrum code nor tried it myself however so better test this on regular coins first :)

@fible1 beware of the unsigned executables you download, in case you own many dash.

The core team knows your IP address, and they may target you and send only to your IP address an infected wallet when you try to download it, while at the same time they will preserve the uninfected wallet executables for all the rest internet addresses. That way they can steal your private key and you will loose all your dash, but you will not be able to blame the core team for providing infected wallets, as long as everyone else in the internet will observe the uninfected wallet executables in the main site. So nobody will believe you downloaded an infected wallet from the core team (in case you managed to understand that it was infected), and they will accuse you for trolling.

So the next time you will ask to download a wallet, do it anonymously and never trust somenone who proposes you to download unsigned executables.

Additionaly even the signed executables are not safe if you are not sure how the public key of the core team looks like, as long as the core team may target your IP and present only to your IP a fake public key, and sign the executable with this fake key. While at the same time all the rest internet sees the correct public key.

So if you want to be sure, try to get the public key of the core team (which they use to sign the executables) from as many different IP addresses as you can, and verify that it is unique all the times.

Last edited:
@UdjinM6

Ok, understood.

In that case my pre-proposal stands as we can still not move coins without collapsing the node.

Can you please PM me the developers email so that I can speak to him? I think it was @kefkius but I'm not sure and have not seen him for a while.

:)

Pablo.

In that case my pre-proposal stands as we can still not move coins without collapsing the node.
Not sure how you arrived at this conclusion... I only said that it's possible to freeze coins BUT I haven't tried that myself. That does NOT mean it does not work.
Maybe we need some additional checkbox or smth in Electrum masternode window to "freeze" masternodes like we lock them in Core wallet though, that shouldn't be hard to implement I guess.

Can you please PM me the developers email so that I can speak to him? I think it was @kefkius but I'm not sure and have not seen him for a while.
I believe it was him, but better ping @flare as he was dealing with hw wallets so he probably is more aware :)

Arrived at the conclusion by trying ti out with a couple dozen coins, but I am open to being wrong :).

Pablo.

@fible1 in electrum-dash goto ADDRESSES find the address you want to send from in this case the address will have more inputs (tx) and 1000 input included.
Right mouse click on the address and choose SEND FROM
Once clicked you`ll be moved to the SEND window and see all the inputs with the hash of the tx address and amounts.
Right click on teh tx which is the MN collateral and select it with right mouse to REMOVE it and place the amount to be sent from the sum of the rest of the addresses if you want to move all.
Thats all, not as easy as it is in the CoinControl in qt but there still is the way to do it.

Last edited:
@splawik21

Can you do me a favor and send 0.01 dash to this address: XwzucxTkhP6DQPr7xA3Wj7LMDXXuYFBgev, I think the issue I am having may have to do with me sending coins to myself. Will send your 0.01 back of course just want to test input selection :)

Thanks.

Pablo.

@splawik21 Perfect, works now, I feel reassured.

Thanks guys I will close this pre-proposal and open one about Eletrum maintenance as we could definitely improve the current version, although it works fine for current purposes.

:)

Pablo.

Back