• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Electricity costing more than I can mine to break even. Best GPU?

NASH

I am interested in making a GPU mining rig and have all the parts I need to complete the build. When I entered the specs of my to be mining machine on coinwarz's darkcoin calculator it gave me negative results.
The specs are
1000+ watts
4.2mh/s+ (scrypt)

I am using 6 used AMD Radeon 7950 GPUs on a H81 Pro BTC - Motherboard

But I am also considering the sapphire Radeon R9 290x

These two appear to be the preferred GPUs.

I dont know what is wrong with the setup I have. And also how many mh/s can you except mining X11 if you were doing 4.2 mh/s mining scrypt? (All I can figure is that it is about 2.5x as much)

If anybody has a mining rig could you tell me what GPUs you are using and the specs, that would be greatly appreciated!
Trying to find the best balance between price, kh/s, and power usage.

Forget mining scrypt, its for ASIC only, goto ebay and buy a 2nd hand hurricane X3 or something like that if you want to go there(ASIC is also way more efficient on your power bill btw)
I suggest mining another x11 coin and auto exchanging it for darkcoin either directly or indirectly with btc sales that will give more bang per buck, and even better using an auto power switching multi-mining program such as nicehash have as a download called sgminer 5.0 . The multi miner config is a bit tricky but you will get the most from your setup powerwise. And beware of trojans inside mining programs, they will empty your wallets!!

I'm slowly making the move to nvidia I think. My farm has 270x, 280x, 290 and 290x cards and now Nvidia 750ti's.

My best power to hash performers are the 270x and 280x cards, my most inefficient are the 290 and 290x cards.

My best AMD rigs are 6 x 270x Toxics, hashing at 16.5 Mh/s, using 550-570 watts at the wall, that is after heavy undervolting and detuning.

There are newer AMD cards, about 20% more efficient than the existing line.

My new Nvidia rigs, are doing 16.5 Mh/s at 400 watts at the wall, and I hear the Nvidia mining software is not yet fully optimised.

Plus the 880ti's are due for release soon, they are rumoured to have the grunt of 4 or 5 & 750ti's whilst maintaining the same power efficiency.

I would at least wait until the 880ti's are out before you buy anything...

Running rig with 2x 7990 wich only pull 600-610watts from the wall.
With the current DRK/BTC exchange rate I would only make back half the money I spend the powerbill (22ct/KWH) but there's no way I'm shutting it down.

Also built some rigs with 280/290x's but they're nearly as power efficient as the 7990's so I'd suggest delaying a buy too.

Just a thought for anyone in the UK, what about economy 7, the electricity is less than half the price for 7 hrs of the day, downside other 17 hrs are slightly higher than normal, but if you only used the 7 hrs it would be a lot cheaper. Not sure what other countries have as an equivalent dual rate time factored system.

I pay ~0,07 euro per kW + 50% different costs so at the end it is about 0,15euro/kW
I don`t know exactly if I give correct data because going over some limits the cost are higher and I will know it at the end year summary :D
Hope till that time the price of DRK will be higher than costs of electricity :) even than I think to hodl ;)
Ignition you`ve inspired me a bit about looking at 750i Nvidia and change my r9 280x hmmmm for sure less for electricity I would spend right? :)

if I just want to help the DRK network out a little bit, what would the cheapest most profitable graphicscard be to directly mine DRK.

I pay ~0,07 euro per kW + 50% different costs so at the end it is about 0,15euro/kW
I don`t know exactly if I give correct data because going over some limits the cost are higher and I will know it at the end year summary :D
Hope till that time the price of DRK will be higher than costs of electricity :) even than I think to hodl ;)
Ignition you`ve inspired me a bit about looking at 750i Nvidia and change my r9 280x hmmmm for sure less for electricity I would spend right? :)

Yes the 750ti is very efficient, to give you an example, 4 x 280x was giving me roughly 16.5 Mh/s @ 580 watts, 6 x 750ti giving me 16.5 Mh/s @ 390 watts. The 280x was undervolted and underclocked, the 750ti is overvolted and overclocked.

If I ran the 750ti out of the box I would be getting 15.5 Mh/s from 6 cards @ 360 watts. I run windows 8.1 + SSD drive, so those figures will be a bit better for you Linux miners.

The Nvidia 980M (formerly 880ti) will be out soon, initial benchmarks show it's got 4 x the grunt of a 750ti with 3 times the power usage, if it's $500 USD like everyone is saying that will be the only card to mine x11 with.

Back