• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

DIP 5 - Blockchain Username Pricing Model

GrandMasterDash

Masternode Owner/Operator
On 28 Aug 2018, DIP 5 was announced on the dash forums. This DIP is very important as it lays out the structure of usernames, the very foundation of Evolution. Some feedback / suggestions have been made, however, after one month, there have been no responses from Core.

This proposal recommends some improvements to DIP 5. It is for guidance only. You are voting Yes if you broadly agree with these suggestions.

Blockchain Username Constraints

DIP 5 takes a conservative approach to the characters permitted in a blockchain username. Namely, a subset of ASCII characters with no foreign language support at this point in time. Obviously, this may change in the future but it is intentionally taking baby steps first. In this spirit, I believe the period (".") should not be allowed in a username. While there is no mention of extending this namespace to DNS, I feel this is something we should be mindful of, and including a period at this early stage might prove problematic in the future.

Blockchain Username Pricing Model

I believe there is a good argument to be made for premium short blockchain usernames. Eighty percent of all english words are seven characters or less. Purely for reference and interest, you may wish to look at these stats for frequency counts: http://www.norvig.com/mayzner.html

A blockchain username should be formed from 37 characters; A - Z, 0 - 9 and an underscore. The permutation count rapidly escalate, but of particular note, three and four letter words and abbreviations are both common yet limited in number. If we consider just letters and numbers (for easy recall), then three characters amount to just 46,656 permutations (36 x 36 x 36).

In the real world, promotional activities for businesses, charities, competitions etc make extensive use of short dialing codes e.g. "Send the text "PRIZE" to 123". Generally speaking, short codes are easy to recall. The average person can recall seven or eight objects after hearing them for the first time.

Given the above, I propose that a flat mining fee apply to all usernames with the exception of three, four and five character usernames; Gold, Silver and Bronze respectively.

The duration of a username lease is open to debate but I think the premium usernames mentioned above should allow for a minimum of one day.

The cost of premium usernames is also open to debate but my initial suggestion is:

Gold : 0.1 dash per day

Silver : 0.01 dash per day

Bronze : 0.001 dash per day

Fees shared between miners and masternodes.

The motive for this pricing model is simple; short usernames have a very limited supply, we should deal with them accordingly.

The high price to entry for short usernames raises the stakes in a very neutral way i.e. big brand names (or high risk scammers) can afford to lease short usernames. Short premium usernames discourages hodling on a long term basis and encourages entrepreneurism.

Thank you

This is a DIP.
Dash is not created that way, but it can be created, if the DIP says so.

Yes, and maybe this kind of thing can be done later. But for now, I'd prefer not to complicate things, either from a technical point of view or voting.

I think one time flat charge is the best way. It will attract many people invest their money to preserve some names in many languages. So later if Evolution success, we have many stories for media to talk about Dash.

Back