• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

DGW3

eduffield

Core Developer
What is DGW3?

I updated DGW to V3, but I never really said why. So here's the breakdown of why it's better.

ecS7q6p.png

If you look at the image above, you'll see a tight fit between the difficulty and network hashrate. DGW3 actually reacts as quickly to large additions of hashing power, but in a much more fluid manner. To do this I removed the EMAs and replaced them with SMAs. The goal of this is to have very consistent confirmation times for the future of the coin (no large waves anymore).

lGODytO.png

Here you can see from once block to the next the difficulty adjustments are pretty small, but yet still enough to react very quickly.

Beyond this, I've fixed the long standing issues with V1 and V2 and some more rare architectures. The problem was that floating points are calculated differently on different architectures, so this I removed them entirely and am calculating the adjustment with large integers.

DGW3 is definitely the best algorithm for difficulty adjustment in the space now. I'm really happy with it and it should serve us well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Beautiful !
The only downside is the competition will be able to calc DRK mining better now ;)
But something I am VERY happy to live with.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was wondering why the difficulty jumped from 3k to 900k yesterday. I thought someone had figured out how to get an ASIC to do X11, but now its nice to know its just a different numerical rating system.

Back