• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Development Update, Whitepaper and Other News

Feedback for the Dash v1 white paper:
1) The first graph should state Bitcoin clearly (eg: "Figure 1: Bitcoin Full nodes in the spring of 2014")
2) There is a random word, "coin" just before section 2.1.
3) Should change "doesn’t" to "does not". (no contractions)
4) Should elaborate "AAPL". For example, "if AAPL is" should change to "if Apple Stock (AAPL) is".
5) "Upon starting a Masternode" should have a comma. "Upon starting, a Masternode".
6) "To pay the Masternodes this interface" should have a comma. "To pay the Masternodes, this interface".
7) "it’s" should just be "it is". (s/it's/it is/g')
Where is this "it's"? If it is in the second sentence under "Introduction" ("Since it’s inception in 2009, Bitcoin has been rapidly growing in mainstream adoption and merchant usage[3]") then it should be "its", not "it is". I've noticed Evan has made this error a lot, but it's also a common error many people make.

There're many links explaining this common English error, like this one: https://www.translegal.com/common-mistakes/its-vs-its

It's not yet done nor released, patience please :smile:

UdjinM6, I am very impressed with hash engineering's android wallet, it does not appear to require any kind of update and is almost instant on startup, can you explain in a sentence or 2 for us slow learners how is it possible to not require the whole blockchain for update and use very little memory, are we talking about only requiring the last block or something like that, and is this something that can become standard in a normal PC installation for example?
TIA,
Sub-Ether.

UdjinM6, I am very impressed with hash engineering's android wallet, it does not appear to require any kind of update and is almost instant on startup, can you explain in a sentence or 2 for us slow learners how is it possible to not require the whole blockchain for update and use very little memory, are we talking about only requiring the last block or something like that, and is this something that can become standard in a normal PC installation for example?
TIA,
Sub-Ether.
I have no relation to its development actually and so have no idea how it works. I think that https://dashtalk.org/threads/android-wallet-for-dash-beta-testing.4510/ is the right place to ask your question :rolleyes: (feel free to ping me there again :grin:)

Hi, I read this last night, and glad it covers everything in a pretty easy to understand way (only problem would be for outsiders who don't know the terminology). So now I can simply direct people to the white paper and tell them to ask if they need definitions :) This is great! Thanks!

Feedback for the Dash v1 white paper:
1) The first graph should state Bitcoin clearly (eg: "Figure 1: Bitcoin Full nodes in the spring of 2014")
2) There is a random word, "coin" just before section 2.1.
3) Should change "doesn’t" to "does not". (no contractions)
4) Should elaborate "AAPL". For example, "if AAPL is" should change to "if Apple Stock (AAPL) is".
5) "Upon starting a Masternode" should have a comma. "Upon starting, a Masternode".
6) "To pay the Masternodes this interface" should have a comma. "To pay the Masternodes, this interface".
7) "it’s" should just be "it is". (s/it's/it is/g')
8) Fix extra spacing in "approach , denominations". (to "approach, denominations")
9) Add Bitcoin to "Figure 2: An example Coinjoin transaction with 2 users [11][12]" (example:" Figure 2: An example Bitcoin Coinjoin transaction with 2 users [11][12]")
10) Add Bitcoin to "of Coinjoin, it’s possible". (to "of Bitcoin Coinjoin, it’s possible")
11) Add Bitcoin to "Figure 3: Forward Change Linking" (to "Figure 3: Example of Bitcoin Forward Change Linking")
12) Decimal amounts should always have leading zero. ('.7BTC' should be '0.7BTC') This should be changed in the graphic(s) as well.
13) "Figure 4: Through Change Linking" should have Bitcoin added (example: "Figure 4: Through Change Linking of Bitcoin")
14) Need to explain "DOS". This "3.3 Improved Privacy and DOS resistance" should be changed to "3.3 Improved Privacy and Denial of service (DOS) resistance"
15) There should be a ":" colon following this text, "as follows" should be "as follows:".
16) Should a table caption be a sentence? "Table 3. The probability of follow a Darksend transaction on the network given the attacker controls N Nodes." should be "Table 3. Probability of follow a Darksend transaction on the network given the attacker controls N Nodes".
17. Add date to "(5.3 million at the time of writing)". For example, "(5.3 million at the time of writing, April 2015)".
18. Change "can’t" to "cannot".
19. Should explain acronyms CPU and GPU. For example, "Central Processing Unit (CPU)" and "Graphics Processing Unit (GPU)".
20. Add page header/footers. (with page number and something like "Dash Whitepaper (v1)") Probably add link to official site for the whitepaper.
21. Add p2p after the first use of "peer-to-peer". (to "peer-to-peer (p2p)")
22. Add graph of the estimated number of Masternodes, showing growth over time.
23. Sometimes there is a space between the quantity of DASH and the word DASH. (example: "1000 DASH") It should be consistent throughout. Either "1000 DASH" or "1000DASH".
24. Change heading from "5.1 x11" to "5.1 x11 hashing algorithm".
25. Should have info regarding where code is located (https://github.com/dashpay/dash) and mention that it is completely open source.
26. Should there be mention of the Foundation?

Most of these are minor edits, but they detract the reader.

It's on github now https://github.com/dashpay/dash/wiki/Whitepaper :smile:
Changes overview:
1) done
2) done
3) not done - I'm not good enough at English so can't really see the difference, didn't apply
4) done
5) done
6) done
7) not done - I'm not good enough at English so can't really see the difference, didn't apply
8) done
9) not done - I'm not sure we need this. CoinJoin is a method that can be implemented by any other coin, problem is not with bitcoin but with original CoinJoin method itself.
10) not done - same as #9
11) not done - same as #9
12) done in text only, I have no source for graphics
13) not done - same as #9
14) done
15) done
16) not done - I'm not good enough at English so can't really see the difference, didn't apply
17. done
18. not done - I'm not good enough at English so can't really see the difference, didn't apply
19. done
20. not done - Do not need this for wiki version
21. not done - why?
22. not done - I'm not sure where to get estimates from
23. need to be done
24. done
25. could be done
26. not done - Foundation has nothing to do with coin tech specs imo

EDIT: "done" / "not done" / .. etc statuses :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Changes overview:
1) done
2) done
3) not done - I'm not good enough at English so can't really see the difference, didn't apply
4) done
5) done
6) done
7) not done - I'm not good enough at English so can't really see the difference, didn't apply
8) done
9) not done - I'm not sure we need this. CoinJoin is a method that can be implemented by any other coin, problem is not with bitcoin but with original CoinJoin method itself.
14) done
15) done
16) not done - I'm not good enough at English so can't really see the difference, didn't apply
17. done
18. not done - I'm not good enough at English so can't really see the difference, didn't apply
19. done
21. not done - why?
23. need to be done
24. done
25. could be done

Wow! I've said this before and I'll say it again... You are amazing!

Excellent to see everything all in one place now. I'm sure it will be helpful for those who want a more coherent, technical picture of the project as a whole without having to piece together multiple posts and press releases.

A couple minor suggestions for the Masternode reward calculations in section 2.1...

Payments for a standard day for running a Masternode can be calculated by using the following formula:
img01.png

--Since we are using "n" here, change it to read "Payment for a single day of running one or more Masternodes"

--Add the word "annual" for the ROI calculation
"Annual return on investment for running a Masternode can be calculated as"

img02.png

--I think the "n" should be changed to a "1" in the ROI formula, to fit the above description of running "a Masternode"
((1/t)*r*b*a*365)/1000
-OR- You could keep the "n" and multiply the 1000 by n ((n/t)*r*b*a*365)/1000n. but given the end result is a percentage, only 1 MN is relevant.

Changes overview:
1) done
2) done
4) done
5) done
6) done
8) done
14) done
15) done
17. done
19. done
21. not done - why?
23. need to be done
24. done
25. could be done

Wow. And you still find time to code? :tongue:

Wow! I've said this before and I'll say it again... You are amazing!
He is a machine...glad he's on our team! :cool:

Hello Everyone,

We just wanted to give everyone an update on the project and what we are focusing on right now. Currently the team is working on many different projects for development, marketing and outreach. We’ve made some great progress with marketing & outreach, we’ll have more about that in the coming weeks/months. We know it’s been quiet for a couple weeks and there’s good reason for that.

Development Update - v0.12.0.0

• Udjin has merged all upstream changes from Bitcoin 10 into the project. This means we’ll support much faster syncing via headers-first blocks and various other changes to the core software.
  • I’ve been working on re-implementing the Masternode Broadcast/Pinging classes to be much easier to read and more efficient. This will allow us to finally use inventory messages for updates to the Masternode network, reducing bandwidth by as much as 80%!
  • The code is getting very close to the point where we will no longer require the reference node. The reference node was created in order to solve a problem dash has had since the beginning, unfair masternode payments. With the reference node, the network has round robin masternode payments, but this node is centralized and our goal is to decentralize all components of the network. In the v0.12.0.0 version, we’re going to run the network in a hybrid state where the reference node can be turned off and the network will enforce masternode payments in a round-robin fashion just like it does now, except with no centralization. This hybrid state will allow us to still use the reference node as a backup if needed.
  • Udjin has been working on improved language support for the the Darksend process, which means users mixing coins in other languages will no longer see english errors messages.

Mobile Wallets Capable of DS and IX

• We’re happy to announce that we have developers working on Darksend/InstantX implementations for mobile. This is very exciting because it will allow person-2-person instant transfer of value just like cash in a completely decentralized way, involving no third party. This is important because it brings us very close to our goal of providing a real medium of digital cash.
  • We also want to take the opportunity to welcome our new developer QuantumExplorer who is handling the development of our iPhone wallet.

Decentralized Cryptocurrency Management Proposal
  • We’ve been working on a plan for months now to fully decentralize the projects funding and management going forward. This is a brand new concept in crypto and goes beyond the foundation model. We’re very excited, as we believe it solves some long standing issues that Bitcoin and other crypto-currencies have faced. We’ll be releasing a detailed whitepaper about this concept on Wednesday this week.

Dash Whitepaper V1
  • The old whitepaper was very out of date, we’ve updated it and detailed all technology that we’re using within Dash. Click here to read the new whitepaper!
iPhone wallet, oh yeah

eduffield

A couple of questions Evan:

1) You mentioned that a stable implementation was needed for work to be completed on the mobile wallets. Are will still waiting for this work to be completed before x.12.x is released?

2) Will masternode blinding be a part of x.12.x? Has it been moved to the back burner?

Hello Everyone,

We just wanted to give everyone an update on the project and what we are focusing on right now. Currently the team is working on many different projects for development, marketing and outreach. We’ve made some great progress with marketing & outreach, we’ll have more about that in the coming weeks/months. We know it’s been quiet for a couple weeks and there’s good reason for that.

Development Update - v0.12.0.0

• Udjin has merged all upstream changes from Bitcoin 10 into the project. This means we’ll support much faster syncing via headers-first blocks and various other changes to the core software.
  • I’ve been working on re-implementing the Masternode Broadcast/Pinging classes to be much easier to read and more efficient. This will allow us to finally use inventory messages for updates to the Masternode network, reducing bandwidth by as much as 80%!
  • The code is getting very close to the point where we will no longer require the reference node. The reference node was created in order to solve a problem dash has had since the beginning, unfair masternode payments. With the reference node, the network has round robin masternode payments, but this node is centralized and our goal is to decentralize all components of the network. In the v0.12.0.0 version, we’re going to run the network in a hybrid state where the reference node can be turned off and the network will enforce masternode payments in a round-robin fashion just like it does now, except with no centralization. This hybrid state will allow us to still use the reference node as a backup if needed.
  • Udjin has been working on improved language support for the the Darksend process, which means users mixing coins in other languages will no longer see english errors messages.

Mobile Wallets Capable of DS and IX

• We’re happy to announce that we have developers working on Darksend/InstantX implementations for mobile. This is very exciting because it will allow person-2-person instant transfer of value just like cash in a completely decentralized way, involving no third party. This is important because it brings us very close to our goal of providing a real medium of digital cash.
  • We also want to take the opportunity to welcome our new developer QuantumExplorer who is handling the development of our iPhone wallet.

Decentralized Cryptocurrency Management Proposal
  • We’ve been working on a plan for months now to fully decentralize the projects funding and management going forward. This is a brand new concept in crypto and goes beyond the foundation model. We’re very excited, as we believe it solves some long standing issues that Bitcoin and other crypto-currencies have faced. We’ll be releasing a detailed whitepaper about this concept on Wednesday this week.

Dash Whitepaper V1
  • The old whitepaper was very out of date, we’ve updated it and detailed all technology that we’re using within Dash. Click here to read the new whitepaper!

Don't you guys think you should get South Africa on board. I am fluent in Afrikaans and English. Give me a shot, I will go talk DASH Masternodes in South Africa. Been States side past 10 years (Long Island, New York) currently unemployed but making it happen with several endeavors.
I have been obsessed with blockchain technology for the past two and half years now, and all I do is just read and read and read. Made some stupid investments (HASHOCEAN) and some good ones (STEEM). It's time to take action. I am building up DASH to get Masternode and am currently running Dash Core on Microsoft 10 machine and another Dash Core node on an Ubuntu 16.04 machine. I do not mine extensively but do know how to setup a rig. I am also running 2 ethereum nodes (geth) and I keep Electrum updated so that console in Python is always available. My latest craze has been MONERO (XMS), destracting me from leaning deeper into DASH Evolution.
I can also introduce the Legal Cannabis Market to DASH here in New York. If you did not know, banks are not allowed to open accounts to cannabis businesses because it will be a federal of offense, if they do. Until the DEA changes their song on this, it remains a cash industry.....
I am public on the following platforms:
Openledger: https://bitshares.openledger.info?r=coindup-hasho
Steemit: https://steemit.com/@coindup
Twitter: https://twitter.com/nybiltong
Facebook: Stephan du Plessis

I will do Africa for you if you let me. Not scared of a challenge.

Don't you guys think you should get South Africa on board. I am fluent in Afrikaans and English. Give me a shot, I will go talk DASH Masternodes in South Africa. Been States side past 10 years (Long Island, New York) currently unemployed but making it happen with several endeavors.
I have been obsessed with blockchain technology for the past two and half years now, and all I do is just read and read and read. Made some stupid investments (HASHOCEAN) and some good ones (STEEM). It's time to take action. I am building up DASH to get Masternode and am currently running Dash Core on Microsoft 10 machine and another Dash Core node on an Ubuntu 16.04 machine. I do not mine extensively but do know how to setup a rig. I am also running 2 ethereum nodes (geth) and I keep Electrum updated so that console in Python is always available. My latest craze has been MONERO (XMS), destracting me from leaning deeper into DASH Evolution.
I can also introduce the Legal Cannabis Market to DASH here in New York. If you did not know, banks are not allowed to open accounts to cannabis businesses because it will be a federal of offense, if they do. Until the DEA changes their song on this, it remains a cash industry.....
I am public on the following platforms:
Openledger: https://bitshares.openledger.info?r=coindup-hasho
Steemit: https://steemit.com/@coindup
Twitter: https://twitter.com/nybiltong
Facebook: Stephan du Plessis

I will do Africa for you if you let me. Not scared of a challenge.

Okay, Sir,
then do a pre-proposal and state the way you want to spend the money and achieve goals. Since we do not know you, tell us something about your background.

And leave this section as this is offtopic now

Back