• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Development Update - Oct 19, 2015

This approach is new for Evan and Company... At first it kinda tweaked me, as I have deep respect for the "deliver awesome, then talk about it" approach, and now it's the other way around, which makes it look like hype. Those of us who've been around for the duration of this project know better, but what fraction of the population is that?

The decision to market outside the crack-pipe mentality crypo cult is spot on. You're never going to talk bagtraders into the idea that cryuptoCURRENCY should actually be used as, you know, a currency... Delisted because stability is considered bad... The writing on the wall has never appeared in such large, bold print. If you're missing this market indicator, you're not even sentient...

DASH; cryptocurrency for grown-ups. Brokencoin and all it's clones refused to learn from the experiment, in Satoshi's own words...

Right now it's just a hot chick. We'll have to wait to see if she's good for anything more than the obvious... Evan and Company's record is solid on this, but the rest of the world doesn't know that. Even the crack-pipe cryptotards don't know what it is. All they see are abbreviations on a chart. Referring back to it being a good choice not to try wooing brain-fried trolls.

It's too ambiguous right now to make any useful comment on the meat of it. We don't even know what it'll be.

The best indicator of faith in the project is to man the harpoons...

Well, if Rock n' Roll has taught us anything, it's that there's a Stairway to Heaven... and a Highway to Hell

So, I infer we're not calling them "masernodes" anymore, but "DASH servers."

"When a transaction comes into your wallet, it will say “Evan sent you 41DASH for Samsung 2005 TV”, not “41DASH from XrWaFt4YY3AevBoZWkmrQEYSAYwiUFodtB”. The later scares away a large percentage of the population, because it looks complex and feels unsafe."

I hope this won't be a difficult thing to get around and discover the actual address used? Or is it being re-thinked so much that addresses don't even exist? How will we audit the function of the privacy and security features if it's got so much "user friendly" in the way that we can't see what's going on?

Looks complex and feels unsafe? Having no way to know what's happening is unsafe. REfusing to know is, well, normal these days, but in reality is unforgivably stupid. One who considers that complex should not be allowed out of their padded room... I fear that catering to extreme stupidity may be going too far. If you want to drive, you have to know what a steering wheel is at the very least... Some things must be learned if they are to be done safely, securely, and privately. Are we really going to contribute to having technology do so much that our brains become vestigial. If the only people who bother to learn how it works are government agents looking for ways to spy and attack the population, the refusal to learn will be the undoing. Catering to it seems foolish... I agree with being easy to use, but not at the expense of having absolutely no clue how it works. iPhones are popular, for a reason; I'eve never been able to have a conversation about anything more than crotch with an iPhone owner...

Catering to the clueless devolves the species. Convenience becomes dependency. Dependency is weakness. Weakness is exploited by guv. Promoting the very thing that we're supposed to be defying, freeing our users from?

Fiat and Banks already exist...

I'm going out on a limb and assume that the new wallet (why can't we call it a keyring?) will have several modes:

Dumb User: “Evan sent you 41DASH for Samsung 2015 TV”
Regular User: “41DASH from XrWaFt4YY3AevBoZWkmrQEYSAYwiUFodtB”
Expert User: "Masternode Quorem Hash: c414fc2d2320147b89a2560346112ec05c83ac1bfa153632bee02a35958cdc confirmed transaction 2d76c3ad887fe254620a094f742382daf7cd49a8fdfb7320fc442a8405aecc0b at (2015-08-15 05:20:41)

etc.

Some people will want to learn how to fish after tasting the fish you give them. Some people just want to have their new self-driving car take them to the fast food joint.

Some people will want to learn how to fish after tasting the fish you give them.
Show me one instance of Food Stamps motivating and inspiring someone to become a farmer, a hunter, or a baker.

Give a screaming baby what it wants, all you do is train it to scream until it gets what it wants. Who's training who?

Crude, barbaric, and savage always wins. Socially, it can't survive except by using others, and is mistaken for strength when it is actually the ultimate weakness. Realize, we live in a glorified zoo, and the cryptocurrency sub-section of that... A place where someone like me has no remorse for dishing it out. We're talking about gaining the interest of a bunch of poo-flinging monkeys by appeasing them. Appeasing never works. It only begets more demands from people who refuse to think about what they ask. Bend over backwards to serve, and that's all you ever do. Well, until they step on your neck for refusing to serve them more...

Amazon's frustration-free packaging... Really? Opening the box is too hard? I have this thing called a knife that hangs on my belt... It opens boxes and squirrels...

Show me one instance of Food Stamps motivating and inspiring someone to become a farmer, a hunter, or a baker.

OK, I'll play.

Question 1 - When did you buy your first crypto currency?
Question 2 - What did you see on the device to confirm you owned it?
Question 3 - At that moment did you know what a hash function was?

Question 1 - When did you buy your first crypto currency?
Buy? I never directly bought Bitcoin, actually. I solo CPU mined a Bitcoin block or 20... I sold stuff on Silk Road. Legal stuff... I used it like eBay. I've helped people buy Bitcoin, some of which couldn't be asked to take responsibility for their precious pictures, much less digital money, gave up after hearing the word "file" and gave it to me.
Question 2 - What did you see on the device to confirm you owned it?
The console daemon advised me that a block was found. I was in my "old iron" phase... Sun Sparc and a dual Pentium Pro running gentoo. I was tempted to see if I could get something running on the cassette tape deck on the trash 80, but decided the bragging rights weren't worth it.
Question 3 - At that moment did you know what a hash function was?
Boy, I was storing passwords as SHA-1 hashes in flat files instead of the actual password back in 1995, and I was mocked and ridiculed as being needlessly paranoid for it.

My first computer was cobbled together from a 4-bit processor my dad brought home from Raytheon. It was the first attempt at making sidewinder missiles digital. I was 7. What country uses a common base in their electronics? Weird, that's not the country where sidewinders came from...

I got burned out about the same time Windows XP was showing up and resistive termination on thinnet was not at all cool anymore.

You said you wanted to play... ;-) Are we done measuring ePeens?

You said you wanted to play... ;-) Are we done measuring ePeens?

I don't mean to barge in on your conversation, but I think that all you have just proven is that even in the relatively tech-savvy crypto crowd you're in the extreme minority as far as experience is concerned. Which doesn't make you look like the best person to talk to about onboarding new users. Very very few will have your willingness to invest time into understanding obscure tech concepts. And the ones that do won't need any onboarding or outreach efforts, they'll figure things out by themselves

I don't mean to barge in on your conversation, but I think that all you have just proven is that even in the relatively tech-savvy crypto crowd you're in the extreme minority as far as experience is concerned. Which doesn't make you look like the best person to talk to about onboarding new users. Very very few will have your willingness to invest time into understanding obscure tech concepts. And the ones that do won't need any onboarding or outreach efforts, they'll figure things out by themselves
What I'm saying is that I have deep perspective. Laziness and stupidity are the true oppressors, and every individual harbors it within themselves.

Caterting to it, feeding it... That defeats the very purpose of a project meant to deliver freedom.

It's like throwing a concrete life preserver to a drowning man...

"The people go from bondage to spiritual truth, to great courage, from courage to liberty, from liberty to abundance, from abundance to selfishness, from selfishness to complacency, from complacency to apathy, from apathy to dependence, from dependence back again to bondage."

All 1st world societies are currently in the bolded portion of that quote. Worse, the world has shrunk, the borders between those societies has blurred. Information age, social media, whatever you'd like to call it. It's synchronized. We don't get to look across a border and see something different, find truth, etc. We're going down altogether, all at once, and there won't be anyone left to hold out a hand to pull us up again. We pull it out of the fire this time around, or it's done. Huxley and Orwell were both wrong because they were both right. It's not one or the other, it's both at the same time. The Huxlian begets the Orwellian. The Yin and Yang of despotism. The hangman's gradual process has been negated by hanging everyone at the same time.

How can cryptocurrency free us from the bondage of evil guv, if we help shut-down the brains of those carrying the burden? How will they understand their prison and how they got there?

"We do the thinking so you don't have to."

I don't say we all need to become expert programmers. I'm certainly not one myself. But you've got to learn at least enough to realize that so much of today's convenience comes at the expensive of disposing of your basic human rights. Being so ignorant that you don't even know it's happening results in never fighting back. Why keep something you didn't even know you had, didn't even know you lost? None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who have false freedom pulled over their eyes. Being force-fed the blue pill without even knowing there was a red pill.

This is at the very root of why DASH is getting the cold shoulder. Most people, especially cryptotards, have no idea what they've lost. They grew up in the cloud. They don't know what their brokencoin doesn't actually do that they falsely believe it does.

It's counter-intuitive to believe that people who see no reason for this project to exist will adopt it. Fostering their lack of understanding will help how? They already don't see a reason. Helping them stay ignorant, ignorance being the cause, will improve that? The cause of the problem is not the solution to it...

Shooting yourself in the foot is not a toggle button... Doing it twice doesn't undo the first shot... It's just two bullets in your foot instead of one.

Barriers to entry, as long as they're not external, are a good thing. If you don't have to be more than a damn, dirty ape, because everything is handed to you, you never evolve or improve yourself. No need. No reason to develop functions beyond grunt and thrust... The facilities that suit that mentality already exist. Fiat and Brokencoin are just fine for them. Cats watching football. It's boring to them because its so far beyond them they don't understand it.

You have to hook them, yes. You have to come down to their level. But, you have to drag them up. Help better your fellow man in some way. If you cater to ignorance, you may as well throw them in prison yourself. Making it so user friendly that they don't have to learn anything makes you into the oppressor yourself.

I see that step missing. This project doesn't seek to leave people better than it found them.

I'm probably not the guy. You're right. All I've ever gotten from humanity is savage brutality. I was forged in pain and barbarism. It's how a learned because that's all there ever was. I tend to take the "tough love" approach to teaching. The entitled brats of today choose to "be offended" by that instead of step up. I'm not the guy for showing them the way, but I know they need it and I know it's missing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm probably not the guy. You're right. All I've ever gotten from humanity is savage brutality. I was forged in pain and barbarism. It's how a learned because that's all there ever was. I tend to take the "tough love" approach to teaching. The entitled brats of today choose to "be offended" by that instead of step up. I'm not the guy for showing them the way, but I know they need it and I know it's missing.

Wow, that sounds really depressing. Try to look at the problem another way: We tend to do more and more things in parallel, and as many studies have shown, the human brain sucks at multitasking (stress levels go up, attention span and productivity goes down etc. etc.). If you want to reach the unwashed masses, you have to offer the possibilty to get things done in the timespan between two notifications from Facebook, Instagram et al. You can of course bemoan this state of affairs, but changing it is outside of the scope of this project, so you gotta play ball here or be condemned to obscurity. Of course, once you get people interested, they should have the possibility to dig deeper and figure out how stuff really works, but in my experience they will only do that if they see that the project has some practical use for them

Wow, that sounds really depressing. Try to look at the problem another way: We tend to do more and more things in parallel, and as many studies have shown, the human brain sucks at multitasking (stress levels go up, attention span and productivity goes down etc. etc.). If you want to reach the unwashed masses, you have to offer the possibilty to get things done in the timespan between two notifications from Facebook, Instagram et al. You can of course bemoan this state of affairs, but changing it is outside of the scope of this project, so you gotta play ball here or be condemned to obscurity. Of course, once you get people interested, they should have the possibility to dig deeper and figure out how stuff really works, but in my experience they will only do that if they see that the project has some practical use for them
I bemoan only the fact that I don't know how to reach people like that. They've been trained to actively defend their own imprisonment. They inflict the perfect storm upon themselves and blame the hand that reaches out to them... I have no idea how to deal with that.

Meh, I have every faith in the team And EVO project. Nothing worth doing is ever easy. Dash have delivered every step of the journey thus far (for me anyway), no reason to doubt them on the eve of their biggest update/release.
Some may paint me as a 'cult member' but it makes sweet FA difference to the actual reality.

Can someone ban this clown already? Do you realize that no one here (on the OFFICIAL Dash forum which is filled with LONG TERM Dash supporters) cares about what you have to say? It's like going into the Republican HQ and telling everyone there that the Republican idealogy is crap. Seriously, you have way too much free time on your hands if this is all you do. And for what purpose? You aren't swaying anyone here because no one actually believes your nonsense. Delays in project roll outs are common. They have been releasing continuous updates to Dash Core and new partnerships are being formed every single day.

All projects have setbacks, delays, hurdles and failures. This is how companies adapt and evolve. Go look at the histories of Apple and Amazon. The team also doesn't make announcements to pump the price of Dash. Look at the market right now, if anything, the exact opposite is happening due to the overall downtrend of the entire Cryto market. Speaking of manipulation, I've seen the opposite, big whales that have a lot of Dash and have a vendetta such as yourself try to tank it multiple times by dumping (they publicly announced themselves), and every single time, the dump backfires and Dash rebounds.

The team also is not anonymous and Dash is a participant in multiple conferences all over the world. If you are so passionate at calling them out, why don't you go and have a discussion in person.

Back