Welcome to the Dash Forum!

Please sign up to discuss the most innovative cryptocurrency!

Development Update - July 30th

Discussion in 'Official Announcements' started by eduffield, Jul 30, 2014.

1. iHeartSmartArt

Good to see our buyers happy. You understand the future nicely. I said pretty much the same thing the day I signed up here.
    I just hope the price stays this low for enough critical mass to adopt because then merchants can participate.
    With bitcoin the price rose so prolifically high and suddenly, without the many services we have today. Dark is gonna kill it.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Carrot

Carrot Member

Yes it will.

3. bananarepublic1004

bananarepublic1004 New Member

When is the beast going to be released??

4. LonnieDRR

LonnieDRR Member

I would like to see it run on testnet for at least 30 days without any errors at all... Needs to be 100% when its released. Please Evan, no rush.

• Like Like x 5
  5. clayop

clayop Member

Probably next week

6. bananarepublic1004

bananarepublic1004 New Member

I hope the release coincides with the favorable price movement. The technology is important, but so is the psychology of the market.

7. moli

moli Grizzled Member

I agree. Please don't rush, Evan. This is so important.

• Like Like x 2
  8. TsuyokuNaritai

TsuyokuNaritai Active Member

I agree wholeheartedly with the general sentiment, but for trailblazing software of this complexity, waiting till at least 30 days have passed on testnet without even a minor bug isn't realistic if we want RC4 released this year. There is ALWAYS one more bug.

• Like Like x 2
  9. sifo

sifo New Member

Well it's good not to rush things, but on the other hand... I guess that week after last update whole testnet will go to sleep (little ot no activity) and this way no bug gets discovered.
    Let's leave this decision on developers. I'm sure they learned from past and they release it only when sure no major bugs can appear.

10. HammerHedd

HammerHedd Member

With this type of attack in mind, albeit unlikely, should we consider a way of verifying that a mastermind is using unmodified (I.e. authentic) code? My thought is that one drk goes open source, someone could modify the code to open all there wrappers on a transaction (just an example) then re wrap it correctly and pass it on while logging the originating IP. I suspect there are already many safeguards against tampering with the transaction itself, but if I was looking for a place to attack the network, it would be in the obfuscation and mixing protocols.

• Like Like x 1
  11. LonnieDRR

LonnieDRR Member

Hey Evan and developers... can we please get rid of the term "inputs" in the wallet before its released? Its really confusing to the non computer geek. Anyone who isn't a programmer or following this forum is going to have no clue what an input is. Is there another term you can use that people will recognize? Can we just call them "coins" or "units" instead? See attached pic. Someone would read that and think what the heck is a Darksend Input? Sounds like an incoming deposit from someone else into your wallet. Or maybe you can come up with something simple... "inputs" is confusing. Need to make this SUPER easy for everyone to use :)

• Like Like x 1
  12. iHeartSmartArt

/agree. I don't immediately understand it either.

Only DS+balance
    Only Non DS+ balance
    All Balance

Does the word Balance work to replace?

13. fernando

fernando Powered by Dash
    Dash Core Team Foundation Member Moderator

I agree that inputs is not a hugely intuitive thing, but it is a well understood concept in the cryptocurrencies world. The target adopters for Darkcoin at this stage are probably people that already use or know about other cryptocurrencies, especially Bitcoin, so it should not a be a big issue.

14. GreyGhost

GreyGhost Well-known Member
    Foundation Member

IMHO -- it's too late for "target adopters," for they are in already. I'd rather focus on influencers. that would spread the word and these mostly have no clue what "input" is. No "input" in my Bitcon wallet either :)

Just my 2 cents. Shrug them off freely.

15. fernando

fernando Powered by Dash
    Dash Core Team Foundation Member Moderator

I wish they were already in :), but I think that is not the case (love your enthusiasm!!!). You just need to compare Bitcoin and Darkcoin by any magnitude to see that we are still small and we have a hard work to do to educate people in Darkcoin. Those already "half educated" (ie, the Bitcoin educated) will be easier to convert.

Anyway, regarding inputs, it is true that having all those features complicates the wallet a bit, but Darksend+ is Darkcoin's main feature!! maybe explaining it better in the wallet GUI would be good, but I believe those three options need to stay because without them you can't have Darksend+ as it is now.

• Like Like x 1
  16. stonehedge

stonehedge Well-known Member
    Foundation Member

Spot on fernando. Perhaps better tooltips and maybe even a help file could demystify things for some of the people that need a helping hand.

It would probably be a good idea to direct people to this community for advice if unsure on anything too.

• Like Like x 1
  17. GreyGhost

GreyGhost Well-known Member
    Foundation Member

We deal with the people here. (I mean, there, in RL)

No matter would you like to attract early adopters among geeks or enthusiasts among laymen like MHS, one way would be to create a mean looking debit card, the best freaking design ever, with a 3D holographic cardholder name's embellished, this way or another, so every little iPhone user would want to have one on her or his screen.

Don't ever forget - Betamax was way better than VHS but lost. (I know, I know, even typewriters have much better resolution than screens like this one... :) )

18. tiger-HZX

tiger-HZX New Member

Can I ask a question how to recognize a DarkSend trx before Protocol version 70213 ? 70213 added a 5th denomination, what are the denominations before 70213?