• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

DELETE Signal - What and How?

xkcd

Masternode Owner/Operator
Recently, MNOwatch became aware of some MNOs casting so called delete signals for some proposals. This is an obscure signal that we believe may cause a proposal to be outright deleted if enough votes are mustered.

You can take a look at the reports eg https://mnowatch.org/signals_delete/the_results_dashd_2022-12-23-11-07-02.uniqueHashVotes.5.html and see which proposals are getting these votes and which clusters are voting this way, currently it is the Russians casting these votes mostly, but we haven't seen the threshold reached yet of 380 votes.

You can also check masternode clusters by going to the Types page https://mnowatch.org/Types/ and click on a cluster, eg https://mnowatch.org/masterblaster/ and then view their votes by clicking on the number in the Num Votes column eg https://mnowatch.org/getvotes/?coll...7b8528d870b240d716114ed8e491ce7de448a35fd67-1 This reveals a table similar to

1673437589108.png

and you can see all the votes for all the signals, notice this MN is voting to delete AND to fund.

You can also spot check masternodes by modifying the above URL with the collateralHash and Index of a masternode you are interested in.

You might be wondering how to cast such a vote? I tried from the core wallet (with voting key) and the surprisingly, the wallet refuses to vote on this signal! I did some sleuthing and it turns out there is an archaic way to do it. To vote, you must cast the vote directly from the masternode server. The invocation is precisely,

Code:
dash-cli gobject vote-conf 485817fddbcab6c55c9a6856dabc8b19ed79548bda8c01712daebc9f74f287f4 delete yes

Where you can replace the hash with the proposal hash you wish to vote on. Users of the Dash Masternode Zeus, would simply sudo su - dash and then run the above command. Or if you are running a multiplexed node and wish to vote from all nodes on the same server you can vote like this.

Code:
for i in {1..3};do sudo -i -u dash0$i /opt/dash/bin/dash-cli gobject vote-conf 485817fddbcab6c55c9a6856dabc8b19ed79548bda8c01712daebc9f74f287f4 delete yes;done

For example if you have 3 nodes on the one server.

See line 29

I can see the benefit of voting to delete a multi-month proposal or one-time budget proposal from memory entirely, when it is clearly setup to be a spamming proposal. We had a few of those multi-month budget proposals in the past from proposal owner dashcrypto (Julio ?), who got defunded and then created these spamming proposals that lingered on Dash Central for 24 months. So far i can tell the delete votes (if there were any) never passed the treshold for deletion.
I also recall that delete votes need to pass a much higher treshold (66%?) for budget proposals. This makes deleting a budget proposal with current low voting participation extremely difficult, if not impossible.

Interesting that mostly the Russians are now using the delete option, which as you mentioned can only be done directly from the masternode server and strange that this can not be done in Windows through the debug console, when the voting address is specifically present in that wallet.dat file.

Last edited:
I also recall that delete votes need to pass a much higher treshold (66%?) for budget proposals. This makes deleting a budget proposal with current low voting participation extremely difficult, if not impossible.

Yes! You remember correctly!

Code:
int nAbsVoteReq = std::max(Params().GetConsensus().nGovernanceMinQuorum, nWeightedMnCount / 10);
int nAbsDeleteReq = std::max(Params().GetConsensus().nGovernanceMinQuorum, (2 * nWeightedMnCount) / 3);

For the proposal to pass it needs YES votes in excess of 10% of the ENABLED nodes by weight, eg (3327 + 4x26)/10 = 343 currently, but for the delete signal, the bar is set much higher at 2xEnabledWeightMNCount/3 = 2287 votes or two thirds the enabled nodes by collateral size. In fact, this is the sole purpose of 'sentinel' on the MN VPS server, to look for expired proposals and issue the delete signal to them to delete them from the P2P mempool.

Back