• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

"DCG and DIF are requesting ~500 dash per month for the next 6 months for dash platform marketing warchest. Thank you."

No fuck them, they already have a stranglehold on the project and previous attempts at marketing and promotion of DASH have been disastrous, DCG aren't good at everything, perhaps nothing. I would rather see a novel DFO rise to the challenge or even better finish the development and let the product speak for itself.

By the way, the TSLA stock outperformed Bitcoin last year. Everyone knows what Telsa the company makes (cars/batteries) and who Elon MUSK is, but can someone give me the marketing budget TSLA has and what their latest ad campaign was?

I could easily see my self funding a war chest for Mark Mason for outreach, proviso that it is balloon payments, one time asks when budget is not being filled, it is problematic building a war chest for PR & Advertising acroos multiple cycles when the market is making such big moves.

DIF should have the ability to hold escrow, might ask @Darren about that, have been invited into a DIF call to talk about my experience with non-ERC20 DEXes.

Weren't we supposed to be getting a new head of marketing? It would be nice to hear some feedback on that before being asked to put 10% of our budget into something we don't even know if we have a manager for, let alone how they plan to use it.

Lets "wait" for the Dash marketing resource to come on board and let them know there is zero budget. Great planning and foresight /sarcasm.

If we dont have some sort of warchest going, when Platform is ready for testnet, nothing but word of mouth is the strategy?????

I dont care who holds it, it just needs to start being built now!

If the product is any good it will sell itself. Again, look at the TSLA example, spoilter, they spend ZERO on marketing.
Interestingly, their product isn't that good either.

You cannot compare Dash which is a purely capitalist enterprise with TSLA which is government sponsored psyop. Every dopey Tesla buyer receives money from their federal and state governments. The ultimate goal is to outlaw internal combustion engines in private cars and to outlaw driving your own car as well. Tesla is here to get as many people as possible to voluntarily go along before the inevitable crackdown.

I won't get into a Tesla. The idea of riding around behind a thousand pound lithium ion battery is terrifying. IF the battery ignites and you are unable to get out of the car, you'll be burnt alive. And then there is the homicidal "driver assist" system.

"DCG and DIF are requesting ~500 dash per month for the next 6 months for dash platform marketing warchest. Thank you."

This raises two questions for me :

Why is the DIF involved in a DCG marketing initiative ? Does the DIF have any marketing experience ? Are they involved because of escrow ? Clarity is needed for their involvement

If 6 months are scheduled to get a Platform marketing warchest in place, does that mean it will take at least 6 months before Dash Platform is ready for release on Mainnet ?

I rather have a platform marketing warchest in place when Dash Platform gets released on Mainnet, which as i understand is scheduled for Q1, 2021 ?
(within two months). Has the release of Platform to Mainnet been postponed to Q2 already ?

Also an update on the Head of Marketing function within Dash Core Group would be nice. How many candidates have expressed interest in that function so far ? How close are we to contracting a suitable candidate ? Lastest info i have about that : https://blog.dash.org/dcg-head-of-marketing-52fa56619eac

Last edited:
If the product is any good it will sell itself. Again, look at the TSLA example, spoilter, they spend ZERO on marketing.
Interestingly, their product isn't that good either.
Plus they couldn't exist without government support and have an almost insignificant share of the motor industry yet have a market cap around 5x that of Toyota. I was going to say it's a crappy example but after writing that it's actually looking like a damn good comparison with crypto :/

So what have Tesla got?
Elon Musk. Too many fools hang from his every word but there's no denying he's a very smart bloke and a damn good frontman, dreaming big is a definite plus too.

A sexy product. Some look like absolute crap imo but overall they look damn good.

A high performance product. Big selling point imo, anyone who's been in one has been blown away by the acceleration.

A solid guarantee. Prtty much same as the motor industry standard and for a relatively new and untested tech in a market that's been doing pretty much the same thing for a century that's it's impressive.

The right thing at the right time. 10 years ago Tesla would've fallen flat on its face, they came out with just the right product at just the right time and that time was early. There was a niche ready to be carved and Tesla spent several years carving it, now others are left playing catchup.

Marketing. Maybe it doesn't look like Tesla have been doing much marketing but they have. Maybe not in the places you expect to find it, billboards and between TV shows but that's not where advertising's aimed these days. Product placement, public discussion, the hype around Musk... that's the kind of thing marketing is targeting these days and Tesla's front and centre.
Plenty more no doubt, more than enough for comparison with Dash there though.

This is a hypothetical proposal put forth by stealth923 in the increasingly irrelevant and misnamed "Dash Discord." Essentially a brain fart...

stealth923
01/25/2021

The hardest part is the first step. Seriously if the proposal said "DCG and DIF are requesting ~500 dash per month for the next 6 months for dash platform marketing warchest. Thank you." It would pass lol. That took me 30 seconds.

Last edited:
Some good stuff here in the comments, I am sure that the DIF is well capable of handling escrow for a warchest, with paid advisors,
I suggest we look to them, the outcome from @Mark Mason's Big Announcemnet leaves a bad taste in my mouth, I know he is from the UK,
but he needs to be aware of things like transition in government here in the US, it is not like the UK.

This raises two questions for me :

Why is the DIF involved in a DCG marketing initiative ? Does the DIF have any marketing experience ? Are they involved because of escrow ? Clarity is needed for their involvement

If 6 months are scheduled to get a Platform marketing warchest in place, does that mean it will take at least 6 months before Dash Platform is ready for release on Mainnet ?

I rather have a platform marketing warchest in place when Dash Platform gets released on Mainnet, which as i understand is scheduled for Q1, 2021 ?
(within two months). Has the release of Platform to Mainnet been postponed to Q2 already ?

Also an update on the Head of Marketing function within Dash Core Group would be nice. How many candidates have expressed interest in that function so far ? How close are we to contracting a suitable candidate ? Lastest info i have about that : https://blog.dash.org/dcg-head-of-marketing-52fa56619eac

If DCG knew they faced more 'no' votes every month surely they would be more transparent and responsive.
As long as MNOs see the treasury as free money they will keep spending it without putting any pressure on the recipients. Its too easy for them, and the results speak for themselves.

Lets "wait" for the Dash marketing resource to come on board and let them know there is zero budget. Great planning and foresight /sarcasm.

If we dont have some sort of warchest going, when Platform is ready for testnet, nothing but word of mouth is the strategy?????

I dont care who holds it, it just needs to start being built now!
I think you mean Mainnet ? Dash Platform has been on Testnet since late December 2020 (almost a month now)
I do agree that we need a warchest for marketing and promoting Dash Platform, once it gets released on Mainnet (Q1, 2021 ?)
Maybe through a one-time budget proposal ?

But with no Head of Marketing in place yet within DCG, i am not sure DCG could handle both the launch of Dash Platform on Mainnet
and a large Dash Platform marketing campaign. Maybe best to subcontract it to a third party marketing company that DCG could hire for the network ?

That marketing company would be limited in its job to promote and provide marketing of just the Dash Platform for a certain period.

Last edited:
Imo if we're thinking marketing companies then we should be looking at the fringes, small companies trying to do things differently, youtubers and bloggers that are in the early stages of building a solid rep. etc. A lot of our planning so far has been X needs doing > hire well known company Y to do X > pay through the nose. Dash isn't a conventional business, companies that deal with regular businesses aren't familiar with what we're looking for. No doubt some long established companies can do it but they'll be the ones that charge highest, I'd sooner see us take a chance on 20 up-comers in the hope of at least one or two getting a big break than spending the same on a mediocre certainty.

Why couldn't this discussion have stayed in the "Dash Discord?" The "Dash Discord" should be like Vegas. You know -- "What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas."

Let DCG handle the marketing and any requests for funds for marketing. If you have other ideas you're free to submit a proposal to the network.

I don't think it's correct to say that the DIF is seeking funding for marketing. There are some investments that the DIF has made that involve marketing. However, that's incidental and not the main reason for the investment.

If anything, the DIF should be a net consumer of marketing. After launch of the Dash/CrayPay app the DIF will have an interest in promoting $6M of sales with the app over the next two years. I also believe this aligns with Dash/CrayPay user interest. DCG will also have this interest. The way the agreement is worded DCG “owns” the task of promoting these sales.

$6M of sales over 2 years. This happens if just 3,000 people spend $100 of dash a month for 20 months.

So DAO, there is a very specific goal for marketing. The real spirit of this thread is: How?

An expert in marketing (not me) should be the one to answer this question. There are several ways this could be set up.

1) DCG acquire marketing assets.
1a) Hire someone
1b) Pay a firm
2) DAO funds separate marketing group
3) DAO funds nothing and DIF partners promote their products.
4) I’m sure many multi party agreements are possible.

1 & 2 above could be done in conjunction. Benefit of competition with the drawback of duplication of resources.

I expect 3 will happen organically, with no further DAO outlay. We have said there is a new unannounced partner brought into the DIF. Call them Partner X. Now, of course, Partner X has a dash focused product. Partner X is currently building their own internal marketing resources. So if Partner X has earned media about their Dash product, they could mention advantages provided by Dash/CrayPay as a way to promote their own Dash product.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-04-04 at 1.06.03 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-04-04 at 1.06.03 PM.png
    102.1 KB · Views: 129
I don't like the idea of marketing a cryptocurrency in general.

I would rather:

Market CrayPay app as a payment solution.
Market benefits/savings of the FastPast network.

Services are being built on top of Dash. Those services are what need marketing.

I agree with you @Geert that marketing Dash for Dash's sake is difficult legally without a Series 65 (in the US say).

CrayPay will provide savings to customers. The main reason for those savings is that processing the dash transaction is cheaper than credit cards. Craypay provides a service to merchants and a service with savings to customers. Market the service, not the token.

The lawyers have to be involved in these decisions. Is it possible to market Dash as a payment system? I would tentatively say yes. Is it possible to market Dash as a cross-border remittance system? Hmm, I don't really know.

Back