• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Data Request: Unallocated Budget

Quintox

Hello Everyone,

I am trying to find a data source for the total unallocated Budget from the beginning of 2016 until today. Anyone have any advice where I might find something like that?

I have scoured Dash Ninja but found nothing yet, any advice how I could manipulate the data to find these figures would also be very much appreciated.

Best, Quintox

On the top of my head, https://dashvotetracker.com/

You can click on all proposals and copy paste in an excel sheet. You can then filter them by month and see the total amount that was spent on each month. Then you substract it from the monthly budget. This year's budget per month is 6,651.85 DASH. Last year, I guess it was that +7% (money supply is lowered by 7% every year but I don't know at which month). Maybe someone can get the correct figure.

Could be a tedious work though, but it should give you the statistics you want. Wait for some others, maybe there is some easier way.

On the top of my head, https://dashvotetracker.com/

You can click on all proposals and copy paste in an excel sheet. You can then filter them by month and see the total amount that was spent on each month. Then you substract it from the monthly budget. This year's budget per month is 6,651.85 DASH. Last year, I guess it was that +7% (money supply is lowered by 7% every year but I don't know at which month). Maybe someone can get the correct figure.

Could be a tedious work though, but it should give you the statistics you want. Wait for some others, maybe there is some easier way.

Hi Leonidas,

Thanks for the reply.

So, I already have data for allocated budgets per month as found here: https://www.dashninja.pl/budgets.html#monthlybudgetpayments (before finding that I did it exactly the way you mention, very tedious indeed).

What I am essentially looking for is the year's potential budget per month and a source to back that figure up (this is for an academic paper so I need sources to back up my claims).

best, quintox

What I am essentially looking for is the year's potential budget per month and a source to back that figure up (this is for an academic paper so I need sources to back up my claims).
The essence of Dash makes it impossible to answer that question. I mean, you will end up with approximation because it is impossible to know.
Budget is set to be 10 % of all block rewards in 28 days. First beacause of the 7% annual decrease. Secondly because number of dash per block depends on the hashrate of the network. As we cannot predict what the hashrate of the network will be, we cannot predict how many dash per block and hence how much the budget will be.

That being said in your study, you can take the empirical approach and make an average of the monthly budget from this month up to the month you need to give your thesis. Now maybe there is an actual history of dash's monthly budget somewhere but I don't where it is :).

Some links :

https://dashpay.atlassian.net/wiki/display/DOC/Legacy+FAQ#LegacyFAQ-Monetaryissuance

Now maybe there is an actual history of dash's monthly budget somewhere but I don't where it is :).

That piece of data is exactly what I am looking for (I am only using historical data for the study). I thought of using the emission rate, or coins supply growth, to calculate the historic monthly potential budget (as 10% of block reward goes the budget). But, as I understood, and please correct me if I am wrong, the unallocated budget is actually never created meaning those coins wouldn't be included in emission stats? (I am still grappling with understanding some fundamental aspects the block-chain)

the unallocated budget is actually never created
Correct.

those coins wouldn't be included in emission stats?
If I read it correctly, column D give you the maximum coin there is if the budget is fully used. Let's take D12 and D13. D13-D12 = 725708. It's the number of coins to be created between 2019 and 2020. Divide it by 10, it gives you the annual budget, then by 12, gives you the monthly budget : 6047,56667

As for the periods where there is 13 months, I believe it is because the budget cycle is about 28 days, so it's not a month. That could explain it, but I am not sure.

Anyways, I think you can make pretty good estimate of what the budget could be on those numbers :)

It's kind of weird that this is a difficult question to answer.
Hum, I don't think it is weird given the explanations : you can't exactly predict how much hashpower there will be hence cant predict the block reward hence the monthly budget. But it's true that past total budget are not recorded by the system, as far as I know, and it's a pity !

Back