• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

DashCentral -> DashLocal and under MNO control....

Please only MNOs choose...

• Keep DashCentral (as is)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Open sourcing the current DashCentral code base for DashLocal

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Commission Core Team for DashLocal

• Commission MN hosting services for DashLocal

• Commission Core Team for DAPI Integration

Votes: 3 75.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I got one don't think it's wise adding more software to the current servers. It's another security issue that mn owners have to contend with

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got one don't think it's wise adding more software to the current servers. It's another security issue that mn owners have to contend with

Oh... I get it @acidburn you don't want MNO owning a DashLocal "admin client" that is open source and supports things like tax information... Because you are building tax software which you might someday profit from... Now, we know your stance and it's not in the community / MNOs best interest, now is it... FYI - @Walter Details from the Slack follow:

Screenshot from 2017-08-06 00-05-06.png

No one said I would profit from it. It'll be ope source when finished. I think this thread should change direction and instead trying to get the owners to host it... it should just remain open source and those that want to host it, host it. I completely fail to understand why the network should host it.

In my opinion hosting is completely separate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No one said I would profit from it. It'll be ope source when finished. I think this thread should change direction and instead trying to get the owners to host it... it should just remain open source and those that want to host it, host it. I completely fail to understand why the network should host it.

@acidburn I'm glad to see you plan on open sourcing your tax tool, please proved this thread the github address for completeness when you do... and MNO would be happy to pay you for your work though the proposal system... Please submit a proposal, as you know that's how this community works.

I think you are still a little confused about the term "MNO hosting"... The MNO wouldn't have to install anything, or host anything. We are trying to build an "admin client" called DashLocal that could be installed when a MN is installed or run in DAPI. We want DashLocal to be accepted by existing MN hosting services, as I still believe this is how most MN are run, thus providing the most benefit to the MNO community.

I'm seeing the MNO votes leaning toward DAPI... Can someone explain to me, if this type of implementation would allow the starting of MN on hosting services relatively easily? This feature, I'm pretty sure would be relatively easy if both the "admin client" and MN service resided on localhost... Please educate me on how the DAPI implementation might work... :D

Well done! This makes a lot more sense to me. Speaking as a non-MNO, I believe this initiative will benefit the community as a whole, not just MNOs. I know of at least two cases where people have lost 5 Dash while attempting to submit proposals, which indicates there is a need to full-proof the process. Also anything that helps MNOs to perform better is a benefit to Dash.

My experience is that the Core Team has a full plate working on Evo. Have you considered making a budget proposal to fund a dev team dedicated to this project?

If we at DashIncubator can be of assistance in any way, let me know.

Well done! This makes a lot more sense to me. Speaking as a non-MNO, I believe this initiative will benefit the community as a whole, not just MNOs. I know of at least two cases where people have lost 5 Dash while attempting to submit proposals, which indicates there is a need to full-proof the process. Also anything that helps MNOs to perform better is a benefit to Dash.

Thanks @jimbursch and I agree... MNOs are needing some better tools to help move all of Dash forward... It's time for an Admin Console...

My experience is that the Core Team has a full plate working on Evo. Have you considered making a budget proposal to fund a dev team dedicated to this project?

I have not... Although I'm open to turning this over to anyone, the community feels can get this job done working w/ the Core. I'll put up the 5'er for the proposal submission... I would want @TroyDASH to review any proposal changes beyond what we have stated above, just to make sure we are heading down the right road... Ideally @moocowmoo too, but I know he is a busy guy.

If we at DashIncubator can be of assistance in any way, let me know.

Will do... Thanks!

This is the core of Dash. Like amanda has said, she believes we could be the most successful coin just on governance alone. We could take a major hit if Dash centrals website ended up shutting down or getting hacked.

I think there could be a whole separate wallet that is used by only Masternodes that has all the features mentioned and has open source code. Akivar is working on proposals within the electrum wallet he is making but I'm sure he couldn't build all of this alone.

Thanks @joezippy for taking the time on the Slack yesterday to help me understand more what you're aiming for. I have given this some thought and I agree with the reasons presented for why this should be brought up for public discussion.

As I mentioned to joezippy, I think we really need to break down some of these individual components and figure out the best way to implement, and they might not be all in the same solution. For example, having a nice UI/UX for voting, submitting proposals, or displaying the status of the current budgets sounds to me like it could potentially be added as either a local module on the MN, or even as a separate module within the Dash Core wallet. A solution for earnings reports or tax assistance might not even necessarily need to have an active connection to Dash Core (although it might need some data source for price data or a transaction history/block explorer). Enabling comments on budget proposals would require a central or distributed public database of some kind, which dramatically changes things since that would be more within the realm of a DAPI use-case. And monitoring node status might also fall under that because if a masternode has some connectivity problem or other problem with it, it might not be able to send notifications, and could thus benefit from a distributed solution. Or, all of the above could be developed with DAPI...

So the tasks here may or may not be so easily rolled up into one thing, but I can see why each of these functions would be desirable to have in a more open source, trustless way. Moving in this direction helps masternode operators' privacy, and it lessens/removes the impact of central points of failure (or central points of potential pain). I don't have the answers, but I would love to see the scope of this project continue to get a little more organized, and move forward with guidance from the Dash Core team.

Last edited:
Great thoughts @TroyDASH ... I really like the idea of breaking things apart... I hear you saying this... Where any of these functions could be "cut out" and fall back to the DAPI... Based on Core Team recommendations... How am I doing?

Screenshot from 2017-08-09 12-16-48.png

The dash core wallet will eventually be phased out because it won't be able to keep up with transactions.

I want a masternode specific app because that can do the necessary pings and I can be notified of problems ASAP. Might as well also feed the health of the hardware / software direct to the app so I can get an at-a-glance view. Earnings reports / tax assistance... yep, from the same app because I don't want to be tied to a desktop unnecessarily. A masternode-only forum also? - why not! (publicly readable, MNO writeable). In fact, just jam as much as possible into a masternode specific app. Collateral should be kept on a trezor anyway, so we can also use that for authentication and encryption.

Back