• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Dash Wallet for Android (Release 4) [closed]

Status
Not open for further replies.

HashEngineering

This will be the new topic for the Android Wallet for Dash that is forked from Bitcoin Wallet by Andreas Schildbach.

This post will include a log of when updates are made.

Next Planned Update:
More IX support (https://dashtalk.org/threads/dash-wallet-for-android-ix-w-send-and-receive-new-ui.8228/)

Future Updates:
IX support
Add Masternode Support (viewing nodes)
DarkSend
Add TestNet app for testing for future updates.

Source Code:
https://github.com/HashEngineering/darkcoinj (bitcoinj fork)
https://github.com/HashEngineering/darkcoin-wallet (Bitcoin Wallet fork)

Downloads:
https://github.com/HashEngineering/darkcoin-wallet/releases/

Updates:
March 1 - Fixed a bug that prevented mined coins from being sent.
February 10 - Added Disconnect back to the menu.
January 24 - Fixed bug with sending attachments.
January 20, 2016 - InstantX added for sending only.
September 9: Updated for Bitcoin Wallet 4.40, bitcoinj 0.13, removed InstantX, fix Dash 0.12 bugs
August 20: Updated for Dash 0.12 (first update), Bitcoin Wallet 4.33
July 15: Beginning to update for Dash 0.12
July 8 - Updated Dash Wallet to Bitcoin Wallet 4.33
May 15 - Updated darkcoinj to bitcoinj 0.12.3
May 7 - Added Content Rating on Google Play.
May 5 - Update Google Play Screenshots and Icons
May 1 - Uploaded v4.18r3 to Google Play
April 27 - Finished last update to the Beta Program to upgrade Dash Wallet (version v4.18r3)

Last edited by a moderator:
How do you make a first transaction without scanning the qr code?? There is no option to copy the address to clipboard or generate a first address!
When you get past this, everything is great!

These are great questions, let me answer them.

How do you make a first transaction without scanning the qr code?? There is no option to copy the address to clipboard or generate a first address!
When you get past this, everything is great!

First of all, this new version of the app uses what is called an HD Wallet. An HD wallet is a wallet where all addresses are based on a single seed value. You can read more about it here: https://github.com/bitcoin/bips/blob/master/bip-0032.mediawiki. How do you generate a new address? Unlike the previous version of the app, where you had to go to "your addresses" and then add one, this new version will generate an address every time you start the app and click on the QR code on the main screen. Additionally it will generate an new address for you when you press Request Coins. From Request coins you can copy to the clipboard the Dash URI (which looks like this dash:X.....) or you can send it to another app, such as an email app or a texting app. That is how I transfer my address to my computer for testing.

This app doesn't have a copy to clipboard button as the last version did. This app is based on the Bitcoin Wallet by Andreas Schildbach and other developers. They do not consider a copy function as a safe function. For instance if the phone has a virus that is looking in the clipboard (any app can access it), then another app can watch and change the clipboard if it sees a Dash address to its own address. Then you would be sending funds to someone else instead. However, the Request Coins is a secure way of sending the address to another app.

I have another question. How to add a new receiving address under "your addresses" in the address book?

There is no need to do this, you can get a new address by using Request Coins (which is also similar to the Dash Core wallet for the desktop, if you go to "Receive" and then click Request Payment). In the future, after I update to the latest version of Bitcoin Wallet, the "Your addresses" page will have more of the addresses that are generated for requests - but we will find out soon.

These are great questions, let me answer them.

First of all, this new version of the app uses what is called an HD Wallet. An HD wallet is a wallet where all addresses are based on a single seed value. You can read more about it here: https://github.com/bitcoin/bips/blob/master/bip-0032.mediawiki. How do you generate a new address? Unlike the previous version of the app, where you had to go to "your addresses" and then add one, this new version will generate an address every time you start the app and click on the QR code on the main screen. Additionally it will generate an new address for you when you press Request Coins. From Request coins you can copy to the clipboard the Dash URI (which looks like this dash:X.....) or you can send it to another app, such as an email app or a texting app. That is how I transfer my address to my computer for testing.

This app doesn't have a copy to clipboard button as the last version did. This app is based on the Bitcoin Wallet by Andreas Schildbach and other developers. They do not consider a copy function as a safe function. For instance if the phone has a virus that is looking in the clipboard (any app can access it), then another app can watch and change the clipboard if it sees a Dash address to its own address. Then you would be sending funds to someone else instead. However, the Request Coins is a secure way of sending the address to another app.

There is no need to do this, you can get a new address by using Request Coins (which is also similar to the Dash Core wallet for the desktop, if you go to "Receive" and then click Request Payment). In the future, after I update to the latest version of Bitcoin Wallet, the "Your addresses" page will have more of the addresses that are generated for requests - but we will find out soon.

Thanks for the reply! Looking forward to future updates, good luck!

I have started the process of upgrading to the latest Bitcoin Wallet version on this app. It is supposed to include some speed improvements on syncing. It will also have more translations and more of a "Material Design" look (from Android 5.0).

I am currently working on upgrading the app to Bitcoin Wallet 4.29. It is presenting a few challenges.

any chance i can get another download link ? (dropbox or so)
anything google in china does not work (in the biggest parts)
so it would be nice to have another option for the chinese community ?!

Hi #E, I posted this on reddit and was directed here:
I lost my android phone that had a dash wallet. I had backed up just a few days earlier. How do I recover my funds given just a back up fill? I have a new phone and just downloaded the dash wallet, and I also have a desktop client. Sorry for the noob questions, would appreciate any help.
The backup fill just has a random name I gave and saved on my desktop. I notice it has no file extension. I am not a techie at all.

Rename the file on your desktop to "darkcoin-wallet-backup-2015-06-06" then transfer it to you the SD card on your phone in the Download folder.

Then in the Dash Wallet, go to the options menu, then Safety, then Restore Wallet. Select your file from the list (darkcoin-wallet-backup-2015-06-06). It also will ask for your password.

I hope this helps. I will not be checking this board for two weeks.

* first of all, for "your safety", make a (spare back-up) copy of the back-up file, just in case.

Ok, to restore your former backed-up wallet, you simply have to save a copy of the back-up file into the "download" folder of your android device.

Now, in the Wallet App go to the "back up" menu option, and then, "Restore private keys": it will read your back-up file saved in the "downloads" folder, and will resync with the network.

*After recovering your coins, I advise you to send all of them to a newly created address, in a fresh new wallet (so my advice is that you stop using the old lost wallet addresses - in Android you can ditch the old addresses, and have the App to create completely new ones, in "applications > Manage applications > select the DASH wallet icon > Force stop > Clear data > clear cache" ... At least that's how I'd do it) just in case someone finds it and gains control over it.*

I hope my "tutorial" was not too messed, I am terrible in giving clear directions :wink:

Rename the file on your desktop to "darkcoin-wallet-backup-2015-06-06" then transfer it to you the SD card on your phone in the Download folder.

Then in the Dash Wallet, go to the options menu, then Safety, then Restore Wallet. Select your file from the list (darkcoin-wallet-backup-2015-06-06). It also will ask for your password.

I hope this helps. I will not be checking this board for two weeks.
Worked like a charm!! Thanks so much for this and your service to the community.

Last edited by a moderator:
* first ll, for "your safety", make a (spare back-up) copy of the back-up file, just in case.

Ok, to restore your former backed-up wallet, you simply have to save a copy of the back-up file into the "download" folder of your android device.

Now, in the Wallet App go to the "back up" menu option, and then, "Restore private keys": it will read your back-up file saved in the "downloads" folder, and will resync with the network.

*After recovering your coins, I advise you to send all of them to a newly created address, in a fresh new wallet (so my advice is that you stop using the old lost wallet addresses - in Android you can ditch the old addresses, and have the App to create completely new ones, in "applications > Manage applications > select the DASH wallet icon > Force stop > Clear data > clear cache" ... At least that's how I'd do it) just in case someone finds it and gains control over it.*

I hope my "tutorial" was not too messed, I am terrible in giving clear directions :wink:
This was great explanation. Can't thank you enough

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back