• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

DASH scavanger hunt (guerilla marketing)

Ossel

Proposal for a DASH scavanger hunt with QR codes.
In my opinion this is a very cheap and at the same time a very effective guerilla marketing action.
Idea:
  1. Create one DASH address and split the private key into 20 pieces. UPDATE: I created the address: XkJpv8WxXhWZDeybD7ffCcBqx6D5AZ9AMQ
  2. Send $100 in DASH to the created address as trophy money.
  3. Create 20 QR codes with each containing one part(2-3 characters) of the private key.
  4. Print 5 x 20 QR = 100 QR code stickers and place them in one city.
  5. The first person that finds all 20 QR codes wins the price!
The website would contain the rules and a blockchain explorer link where everybody can check if the $100 trophy money is still there.

The sticker could look like this:
sticker.png

Please let me know what you think.

Last edited:
Interesting idea and I'm a big fan of guerrilla marketing. However, it's hard for me to imagine this "moving the needle" much since it's one city and $100. Can you think of a way to make this proposal bigger and affect more people? How can we make it more viral?

We could take a page from Decred's playbook and create some very difficult puzzles with a big Dash prize at the end. They can be completely online & not locked into a physical location

I'm pretty sure that putting stickers everywhere in the city is illegal.
I live in Aachen, Germany and we have a very popular app called 'jodel' where every one can post something anonymously.
I'm sure that if I would make a post there it would go viral.

I decided not to submit this proposal because the required amount is very low. In my opinion it is not worth taking the risk of losing the 5 DASH proposal fee. Only 2 DASH would be enough to make the proposal work.

So I decided to sponsor the printing of the QR codes and ask for donations for the trophy money.
I also decided to postpone the launch of this campain until the release of the evolution market place or at least unit we have a bigger european merchant adoption. Because why should anyone go for a 100€ DASH hunt if he can't spend it easily?

I have created a paper wallet for the trophy fund. The address is
XkJpv8WxXhWZDeybD7ffCcBqx6D5AZ9AMQ. I have written down the private key. A part of this private key will be contained in every QR-Code.

Donate if like to support the scavenger hunt:
scavenger_hunt.PNG

Even a really small amount is appreciated.
Funny story: I donated a long time ago a tiny amount of money in BTC to wikileaks. With the current BTC price it was a donation over 200$.
My gut tells me that the same will happen to DASH :)

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure that putting stickers everywhere in the city is illegal.
I live in Aachen, Germany and we have a very popular app called 'jodel' where every one can post something anonymously.
I'm sure that if I would make a post there it would go viral.

I decided not to submit this proposal because the required amount is very low. In my opinion it is not worth taking the risk of losing the 5 DASH proposal fee. Only 2 DASH would be enough to make the proposal work.

So I decided to sponsor the printing of the QR codes and ask for donations for the trophy money.
I also decided to postpone the launch of this campain until the release of the evolution market place or at least unit we have a bigger european merchant adoption. Because why should anyone go for a 100€ DASH hunt if he can't spend it easily?

I have created a paper wallet for the trophy fund. The address is
XkJpv8WxXhWZDeybD7ffCcBqx6D5AZ9AMQ. I have written down the private key. A part of this private key will be contained in every QR-Code.

Donate if like to support the scavenger hunt:
View attachment 4484
Even a really small amount is appreciated.
Funny story: I donated a long time ago a tiny amount of money in BTC to wikileaks. With the current BTC price it was a donation over 200$.
My gut tells me that the same will happen to DASH :)

got my support

Thanks to the german speaking part of the Dash Nation Slack I already raised 0.36 DASH (60€)!!
Thanks a lot guys, you're awesome!
Right before I print the QR codes I will ask again for donations so that I can print a round sexy number onto it.
100€ would be enough
250€ would be sexy
500€ would be like "Fuck my plans! I'm going on a scavenger hunt!"
More than 500€ would be a wast of resources in my opinion.

Instead of putting 2 character parts of the private key into the QR code I decided to create a 24 words seed with jaxx and put one word into each QR code.
This way it's easier to access the funds if someone collects all 24 words.

Interesting idea and I'm a big fan of guerrilla marketing. However, it's hard for me to imagine this "moving the needle" much since it's one city and $100. Can you think of a way to make this proposal bigger and affect more people? How can we make it more viral?
In my opinion it would be better having 10 scavanger hunts in 10 different citys than 1 big scavanger hunt. Giving away 10 times 500€ would be better than 1 time 5000€.
I will test this idea in my city and than check how much attention or who knows maybe local media attention this gets.

If this campain turns out greate we could try it on a country wide scale. Like 20 citys in germany. This of course would require masternode funding.
We would need 2 volunteers in each city to distribute the QR stickers.
I could create the QR codes for the scavanger hunt and send 1/2 of them to volunteer number 1 and 1/2 of them to volunteer number 2.
Why 2 volunteers? Because this way we ensure that they can not immediately steal the funds.
The 24 word seed creation could be also done in a trustless way: I'm a coder and I could write a open source programm that generates the 24 QR codes and sends them imeadiatly to different persons. These persons could print the QR stickers online and let them deliver to the 2 volunteers.
=> We could do the distribution in a trustless way

What do you think? Are here some volunteers? and for which city would you participate?

Back