• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Dash + Protonmail

Also, evolution is optional, don't forget that part. Not everyone will be using it. Some people will prefer ye old instantx transaction via the DashQT app.

I recently switched from Gmail to Tutanota and I love it. I will also try Protonmail but back when I was looking at a new privacy-orientated email provider they were only taking in a select few new users.

I really love how Protonmail is based in Switzerland, but Tutanota is amazing too. The devs are really cool and made a really nice product. You have flexibility in choosing the domain of your email and you can send confidential emails which are encrypted with a shared password between you and the recipient/contact which comes in handy a lot. Everything is private, encrypted and secure. I also like how they have an Android app. The only negatives is sometimes the site can be sluggish and once they were offline for an hour and I had no idea how long or why, so it would be good if they had like an official Twitter or Facebook or something which would keep their customers up to date.

They're provide an amazing service though, especially that it's free. I hope Dash works something out with Tutanota, as well as Protonmail, it would benefit all parties involved!

Could someone explain to me why Evolution requires email registration in the first place? Is there a technical reason I'm not grasping here? Thanks!
Yes, please. The fact that we are looking for private e-mail services alone shows that this requirement is absurd. Instead of just signing up and testing the platform I'm worried about what e-mail should I use and how it can be traced back to me.

Yes, please. The fact that we are looking for private e-mail services alone shows that this requirement is absurd. Instead of just signing up and testing the platform I'm worried about what e-mail should I use and how it can be traced back to me.

I think it would be best to make the email requirement totally optional. Is there some agenda here to gather user email to send newsletters and whatnot or what's really the point? Is it to make DASH more acceptable to exchanges and regulators?

I think it would be best to make the email requirement totally optional. Is there some agenda here to gather user email to send newsletters and whatnot or what's really the point? Is it to make DASH more acceptable to exchanges and regulators?
Exactly... complying with KyC and selling user information are the two things that come to mind, though the former seems more likely than the latter. Either would be troubling developments for user privacy, to say the least.

If this truly is about KyC laws, the burden of identification should be placed on the third-party service providers, not cooked into the protocol itself. I understand why the core devs would pitch this to potential exchanges as a "feature," but requiring personally identifiable markers in a coin that has built its reputation on anonymity is a massive step backwards, imo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Exactly... complying with KyC and selling user information are the two things that come to mind, though the former seems more likely than the latter. Either would be troubling developments for user privacy, to say the least.

If this truly is about KyC laws, the burden of identification should be placed on the third-party service providers, not cooked into the protocol itself. I understand why the core devs would pitch this to potential exchanges as a "feature," but requiring personally identifiable markers in a coin that has built its reputation on anonymity is a massive step backwards, imo.

I don't think the email address is passed to the other side, I think it's just to stem automatic account creation from bots. I'm more concerned about metadata than the email address.

Protonmail is the one that uses some kind of weird java interface, no?

All these emails essential do what any hosted (centralised) provider does, but with embedded PGP. If you are serious about privacy use a non-commercial provider such as riseup/autistici combined with PGP.

Tuta looks good though I'd need to see what the people on privacy forums have found out about them.

There are some very active imaginations going on here. The email address "requirement" is to prevent Sybil attacks, and as the specs for Evolution are bound to change many times before its launch, email may not be required at all in the end.

Back