• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Dash lacking research papers

xjones

Bitcoin's life began with a document Bitcoin: A Peer-to-Peer Electronic Cash System that, according to Google Scholar, has been cited 1600+ times in other scholarly works. Ethereum has not been cited so much, but the Ethereum Foundation has produced an ongoing stream of blog entries that contain a moderate degree of mathematical rigor.

Dash — not so much.

If we could get more attention from the academic researchers, that would give Dash far more credibility than the type of publicity that is currently occurring, which consists mostly of flame wars and web chats.

The privacy scheme implemented by the masternodes deserves to be studied by academic experts. If it survives their scrutiny, Dash emerges stronger. If it fails their scrutiny, better sooner than later so any problems can be fixed now.

How can we make these academic studies happen? This is where I'm drawing a blank. Perhaps the budget could be used to make grants to researchers that would pay some of their costs, e.g., internships for their students or their publishing costs. But with care, so their research doesn't look like it was purchased.

Maybe you, the reader, have some ideas that I missed.

I see many features of the new software listed. But nothing about studies by academic exports. And no mention of game theory, which is the relevant field of research here.

Maybe Dash needs a program like the one Google has.

Paying Professors: Inside Google’s Academic Influence Campaign.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/paying-professors-inside-googles-academic-influence-campaign-1499785286

(Archived at: http://archive.is/XF2S3.)

Mr. Desai, now a law professor at Georgia Institute of Technology after leaving Google in 2012, said part of his job was to compile a list of “all the major policy academics in intellectual property so” Google lobbyists could know whom to follow and potentially target for papers.

He said Google was careful to say the checks came with no requirements: “It was a gift. Recipients can do what they want.”​

I noted this in Ryan Taylor's recent ROAD MAP post:

We would also like to announce the creation of a new team to be centered in Hong Kong, called Dash Labs. This team will be the scientific arm of the project, focusing on research and the development of custom hardware.

although it's not precisely what you're describing, the notion of DASH LABS is in the ballpark, I think...

Bitcoin white paper has been cited so many times because it was the first blockchain project and a lot of things from that paper also applies to Dash, therefore there is no need for researchers to cite Dash white paper.
I think Ryan has mentioned funding blockchain research team at University of Arizona. Have a look at this: https://www.dashcentral.org/p/asu-bc-lab-201707

Every revolution needs a written ideological underpinning - Thomas Paine, The Federalist Papers, Marx, etc. A hard money cryptocurrency revolution is no different. Scholarly papers could help...

So nice to see this answered so well. Dash is basically Bitcoin with a second tier, and thus, the basics have been covered. With the second tier and all the services Dash has and is implementing, the core team have been working toward building an infrastructure for this very purpose. They have purposefully set up the first Dash office at UA'S Skysong Center to tap into their resources. They created and funded a Dash specific research program at the Arizona State University's blockchain research laboratory. Evan is heading the new Dash Labs in Hong Kong and already has "books" of information and research written, which I'd give an arm and a leg to read! I take it, that when he feels it's ready to publish, it will be released for the world to tear apart (which is what research is supposed to do)

But Dash is also a project in a competitive field. Research has been happening this past year and a half in-house while our team have been building Evolution's foundations. It's kept close to the vest because we need to protect our work from others until release. Although it will indeed be open sourced, MIT licensed, etc... there are likely to be patents applied for before release as well as after as things continue to be built. This is for proactive protection against having our work claimed by others and being locked out of using it. And as things are released, there will be time for review before going on main-net. From that point on, there will be both Dash funded research as well as research by advisories (we hope), other universities, companies, white hats and of course black hats.

Remember, a research paper is not proof that something is solid on it's own, but rather, a body of research papers, together, can only provide evidence of possible truth. And the more people who review Dash and research it's logic, it's functions, etc... the closer to understanding how true, and functional Dash is. But first it has to be built.

Back