• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

DASH at TNABC 2016 in Miami

Macrochip

I just deleted this post from BTCTalk due to the toxic environment and decided to increase my activity here from now on.
I couldn't find a general thread on the Miami gig in here so I'm sorry for starting a new thread, this was only supposed to be a message. If a thread already exists, please append this post to it and delete the thread.

Original message:

Random brainfart:

What if Evan blew the audience's mind by presenting a more or less representative poll on the blocksize debate on TNABC? We have, what, almost 3500 Masternodes all across the globe and it seems very fair to assume the people running them are involved in Bitcoin and have a valid opinion on the blocksize of it. This question affects Dash (in its current form at least) in exactly the same way anyway.

Let the Masternoders vote on the question: "Do you support BIP101?" And maybe donate 100 Dash or so to the BitcoinXT project if the majority supports it. But the money is only a gimmick. The mind blow would be the poll itself due to its representativeness. Masternode votes cannot be faked or sockpuppeteered like reddit-votes or similar things. Of course we'd have to agree Otoh, Evan & maybe some other founder abstained from voting to avoid skewing the result. But other than that even a turnout of 1000 votes from all over the world would make quite an impact. We have this revolutionary tool, so I suggest we use it.

Addendum:
I know that time is extremely tight in Miami, only 20 minutes, which dissappointed me a little when I read it. Still I wanted to ask whether these topics could be considered, even as a side note:

1. This hypothetical poll ofc
2. The Peter Todd double spend as an introduction to
3. the Dash Soda machine showing off InstantX as a solution to the problem Todd exploited

Edit: The crux here is simple. Bitcoin's governance is flawed, the blocksize debate is only a symptom of that flaw. By engaging this problem directly (making a poll on that topic and using Decentralized Governance by Blockchain to create this very poll) DASH can only win.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea - lets get Peter Todd to re-write the BTC python into a DASH python and try to double spend on the POP machine

Can you imagine the looks we'd get - lol

late edit: or maybe moocowmoo would be up to the challenge :p
I rather see PT do it, simply to remove the 'DASH bias'.....
......does snake oil melt? or burn? hummmmmm

Last edited:
20 min is standard for most talks at this conference. I guess some have double that but in 20 min you can say a LOT if you don't stray from message. At this event in Germany they've only had 5 min talks which was more than enough time to convey the message.

The btctalk is beyond toxic at this point. I ended up being banned few years back for speaking against some of the regular forum donors. Yes, they do ban you if you piss off the wrong people.

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally I'd stay away from the third rail of Bitcoin politics, but that's just me. No sense alienating the 50% of people who disagree with BIP101.

Seems like this debate is getting put to rest a bit (by non forum trolls), so would probably be beating a dead horse at this point. The goal is completely on point though. If we can get enough people educated it will be a natural evolution to adopt the superior digital monetary system on a mainstream level. (see what I did there? ;p)

We need to get the word out. 90% or more of Bitcoin people have no clue about the advancements DASH has made.

20 min is standard for most talks at this conference. I guess some have double that but in 20 min you can say a LOT if you don't stray from message.

Explaining DASH from the ground up, history, features, current state and then the whole stuff from Evolution? I could imagine 30 minutes at least.

Personally I'd stay away from the third rail of Bitcoin politics, but that's just me. No sense alienating the 50% of people who disagree with BIP101.

50%? What makes you think the blocksize Nazi camp is that large? I just stumbled upon this
And if this is true, I'd have no problem alienating 1%. Even without that rumor, I'm absolutely convinced the majority of the Bitcoin community is pro bigger blocks. The actual problem are greedy Chinese miners with too much hashing power who simply don't care about this whole story. And that's what the 1% are a shamelessly exploiting to further their Blockstream agenda.

Edit: Oh and Charlie Lee just got around supporting bigger blocks, too:
https://www.reddit.com/r/btc/comments/40m9jz/maybe_satoshi_is_in_the_big_blocks_camp/

Looks like he took the PITA Toad trolling personal. Still, good he came to his senses,

Explaining DASH from the ground up, history, features, current state and then the whole stuff from Evolution? I could imagine 30 minutes at least.
That's what I started writing last night. I've got to get back to it. I don't know what to do with it, but I felt like writing it. It's going to require some graphics too, but I'll do that later, and a lot of editing, so I doubt I'll finish it in time :p

Short is best actually if you want to keep people interested. It has been proven most people lose focus after 3 minutes. The first 3 minutes are the most effective. Consider people at the conference have to watch a bunch of these presentations. You don't want a long winded presentation presenting all history and stuff like that. People want the juicy bits first. If you manage to get them interested, they will look deeper, research the history and so on on their own.

50%? What makes you think the blocksize Nazi camp is that large? I just stumbled upon this
And if this is true, I'd have no problem alienating 1%. Even without that rumor, I'm absolutely convinced the majority of the Bitcoin community is pro bigger blocks. The actual problem are greedy Chinese miners with too much hashing power who simply don't care about this whole story. And that's what the 1% are a shamelessly exploiting to further their Blockstream agenda.

Edit: Oh and Charlie Lee just got around supporting bigger blocks, too:
https://www.reddit.com/r/btc/comments/40m9jz/maybe_satoshi_is_in_the_big_blocks_camp/

Looks like he took the PITA Toad trolling personal. Still, good he came to his senses,

Good point on the size of the opposition, but regardless, I don't feel like it's appropriate to involve ourselves in Bitcoin's internal affairs, especially when they have nothing to do with us. Even supporters of BIP 101 are likely to say "Who are you again? And why is an alt currency sticking their nose into this?"

Good point on the size of the opposition, but regardless, I don't feel like it's appropriate to involve ourselves in Bitcoin's internal affairs, especially when they have nothing to do with us. Even supporters of BIP 101 are likely to say "Who are you again? And why is an alt currency sticking their nose into this?"

Because we already did.

Evan was invited to the Latin American Bitcoin conference to deliver "Tools and Ideas for developers". Sub-topic was how to scale/improve Bitcoin. Evan spoke directly on that using Dash as an example and how Bitcoin could learn from what Dash has been experimenting with.

We even got positive feedback from Trace Mayer (which is the reason we landed the MASSIVE gig on the Lamassu Bitcoin ATM integration!) and Andreas Antonopolous for talking about it.

Engaging Bitcoin's problems on the Bitcoin conference is the best thing we can do promoting DASH.
Remaining in the shadows and hoping Bitcoiners will come to us just like that is the wrong approach.

It's not "their affair" btw. Many if not almost all of us use Bitcoin as a means to trade DASH and most probably other stuff, thus we are Bitcoin users as well. We are not an isolated group just because we chose to be part of the community of an altcoin. Our opinions, methods and approaches on how Bitcoin could/should work in the future are as valid as those of the next guys.

Yea - lets get Peter Todd to re-write the BTC python into a DASH python and try to double spend on the POP machine

Can you imagine the looks we'd get - lol

late edit: or maybe moocowmoo would be up to the challenge :p
I rather see PT do it, simply to remove the 'DASH bias'.....
......does snake oil melt? or burn? hummmmmm

I feel this might even be essential to get the point across InstantX is trying to make. I mean imagine the situation: People go to the vending machine, select their drink, pay with DASH, get it and done. "So what? I did this with Bitcoin last year, durr!!!"
We have to prove the advantage of InstantX by attempting a double-spend otherwise it would be just another "Bitcoin machine" and the reaction: "boooring!"

Because we already did.

Evan was invited to the Latin American Bitcoin conference to deliver "Tools and Ideas for developers". Sub-topic was how to scale/improve Bitcoin. Evan spoke directly on that using Dash as an example and how Bitcoin could learn from what Dash has been experimenting with.

We even got positive feedback from Trace Mayer (which is the reason we landed the MASSIVE gig on the Lamassu Bitcoin ATM integration!) and Andreas Antonopolous for talking about it.

Engaging Bitcoin's problems on the Bitcoin conference is the best thing we can do promoting DASH.
Remaining in the shadows and hoping Bitcoiners will come to us just like that is the wrong approach.

It's not "their affair" btw. Many if not almost all of us use Bitcoin as a means to trade DASH and most probably other stuff, thus we are Bitcoin users as well. We are not an isolated group just because we chose to be part of the community of an altcoin. Our opinions, methods and approaches on how Bitcoin could/should work in the future are as valid as those of the next guys.

Touche; I see your point. Personally, I would continue our more generalized approach and stay away from endorsing specific proposals, but I do see where you are coming from.

I feel this might even be essential to get the point across InstantX is trying to make. I mean imagine the situation: People go to the vending machine, select their drink, pay with DASH, get it and done. "So what? I did this with Bitcoin last year, durr!!!"
We have to prove the advantage of InstantX by attempting a double-spend otherwise it would be just another "Bitcoin machine" and the reaction: "boooring!"
You're right. Presentation needs to clearly get this point across in a very direct way somehow, otherwise folks would just think this is old news as vending machines with 0 confirmation/pending confirmations were probably showcased before.

The idea of adding some stickers to anything that accepts zero confirmations came up. Something like this:

Peter Todd
Double Spend Target

Ok, we are not going to do that.

We are at the conference to discuss Dash. We have plenty of ways to show how fast and low fee InstantX is and how it is different from any other coin. I have also added some information to the brochures to highlight point of sale/merchant capabilities. I think this conference will be big for Dash. Next year, I will not be surprised if they pay Dash to attend.

As for voting on the blockchain size, this is not our problem. We don't need to spend time discussing other coin's problems. There are 20 other speakers that will try to explain a solution to each Bitcoin problem. No need for us to do that too.

As for voting on the blockchain size, this is not our problem. We don't need to spend time discussing other coin's problems. There are 20 other speakers that will try to explain a solution to each Bitcoin problem. No need for us to do that too.

Agreed.

image.png

You're missing my point.
The purpose is not solving Bitcoin's problem. The purpose is showing off the advantage of Dash just like Evan did in Mexico. The purpose is showing them how we would settle something like the blocksize debate they are having. We are merely using it as an insertion point to brag with our DGBB. You have to captivate people before you sell them your product. How else would you get the attention of Bitcoiners on a Bitcoin conference if you don't talk about Bitcoin (first)?

Merchants don't care about blocksize. They care about:
Transaction fees
Speed of transactions
Risk of rejected/double spend tx
Size of wallets / ease of use

We focus on these. Anything else is noise.

Back