• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Dash Android Wallet Proposal

HashEngineering

I would like feedback concerning the following draft of a proposal that could eventually be submitted for funding through the Dash blockchain.

Dash Android Wallet Proposal

This is a draft. Currently there is no mention of funds that would be requested. Some positions have no one that is assigned. No timeline is specified. This is mainly a scope and a list of goals.

Objective:

Upgrade the current Dash Wallet for Android (hashengineering.darkcoin.wallet) to bridge the gap between the Dash Core QT client and the upcoming Evolution (0.13) system that even your mother could use.

Development Teams and Goals:

Dash Core Level Team (dashj) - Leader: hashengineering

1. Fix the intermittent and random app crash after send coins bug. Once it crashes, the app will continue to crash unless Wifi or networking is turned off, then blockchain is reset then the networking/wifi is turned on again. The crash is because a transaction got stuck before or after sending and doesn’t have the correct status when it is saved to the wallet (not PENDING)

2. Update for 12.1

3. Add the necessary components for PrivateSend

4. Add or update unit tests or other testing modules.

Dash Wallet App Level Team (dash-wallet) – Leader: hashengineering; UI Developer: Tomasz.ludek

1. Modify the Blockchain Service to stay active while syncing the Tier 2 masternode information.

2. Add a central place to collect crash reports so all developers can see them. Currently only hashengineering sees them.

3. Add UI for PrivateSend

4. Update for 12.1

5. Update Help text and UI as needed.

Testing (Testnet, Beta, Production) – Leader: <need a leader>

1. First need is a Testing Team Leader. This person will create a team of testers and manage the data collected from them.

2. Second need is a team of testers with a variety of devices, android version and user knowledge levels (low knowledge – “your mom”, medium – “dash enthusiasts”, high – “developers”). Perhaps there should be 9 testers?

3. Third need is a way to collect data and feedback (besides email), something that can help track the levels of users, the devices and android versions used. Testers will have checklist of items to test and they will be able to check off success or not, write comments and submit crash reports.

Support and Documentation – Leader: <need a leader>

1. Find a place to store and create more detailed documentation for the Dash Wallet that is simple, easy to read with excellent grammar and formatting with many screenshots.

2. Need a person to manage the Documentation. This person will manage the document team and the support team and may be a member of both.

3. Create a team of support personnel who are able to answer questions about the app from users of all types.

4. Determine a place for users to easily find the help they need and a way to get there (from the app?)

Other possible job openings

1. BitcoinJ / DashJ developer to assist hashengineering in development of dashj for the future improvements including debugging and testing.

2. Android UI developer to assist Tomasz.ludek in the UI development of Dash Wallet.

i wouldn't mind volunteering for managing / leading the documentation. portion @HashEngineering is there a documentation methodology that i should be following? let me know and i can read up and spin up to speed

Great proposal. Fully support mobile development. PrivateSend on mobile, Yay!

I would suggest adding a feature. How about adding a merchant lockout feature? Force it to a dumb screen all you can do is enter the $/Dash amount field, type that in and QR code is displayed, then turns green or something when IX is detected.

You may need to incentivize testers. There seems to be limited feedback on the latest release. Maybe a pay per bug system. Or pay per device/hour tested. If you need test phones, make sure you add funds to purchase or find people that have enough models to get good test data.

The goal is to provide an app that makes paypal, applepay and so on look like childs play. PLEASEEEE.

This is money well spent IMO, no matter how much it runs us because what is Dash without a SOLID mobile experience? A computer program?

Vendor Mode!
How about adding a merchant lockout feature? Force it to a dumb screen all you can do is enter the $/Dash amount field, type that in and QR code is displayed, then turns green or something when IX is detected.
Nullify local wallet privkeys, use BIP32 import with this feature.

Please, won't someone think of the Vendors?

The mobile wallets should use a seed key like coinomi does. The merchant tools should also use a seed key - hello electrum wallets with IX receive detection.

The mobile wallets should use a seed key like coinomi does. The merchant tools should also use a seed key - hello electrum wallets with IX receive detection.

I agree about the seed key. The Bitcoin Wallet developers said they would add this feature, but it hasn't happened yet. This will be a difficult thing to add given my current understanding of HD Wallets.

Great proposal. Fully support mobile development. PrivateSend on mobile, Yay!

I would suggest adding a feature. How about adding a merchant lockout feature? Force it to a dumb screen all you can do is enter the $/Dash amount field, type that in and QR code is displayed, then turns green or something when IX is detected.

You may need to incentivize testers. There seems to be limited feedback on the latest release. Maybe a pay per bug system. Or pay per device/hour tested. If you need test phones, make sure you add funds to purchase or find people that have enough models to get good test data.

Yes, you are right about the issue of limited feedback. Even when I get emails from various users with problems, their feedback is not always helpful concerning the problems and the solutions provided. The testing system needs to be more organized and detailed so we get more information than "it doesn't work" or "it looks great." We need more people than few part time developers who don't get all the errors on their own devices and networks.

This will be a difficult thing to add given my current understanding of HD Wallets.
Then exit your comfort zone.

Become awesome(r).

In a less important vein. I prefer the old skin by a wide margin. Could there be a way for a person to choose the old look instead of being forced to use the new, garish, clumsy, dumbed-down look? The new look is so cartoony, the old look was pro and information dense.

Back