• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Cult of Evan?

just_mike

The Darkcoin team consists of InternetApe and Evan. All changes must be approved by and implemented by them. While this works well in the beginning, Darkcoin should have a real team and these team members should be empowered to make decisions.

There is lots of talk on the thread about about marketing and raising awareness. There are lots of people wanting to help. If there was a Marketing team, they could herd the cats and do something big. Translations, merchandise, etc.

A programming team could be tasked with getting and vetting any non-blockchain stuff. Android wallet, NOMP and P2P updates, shopping cart plug-ins, etc.

There is so much happening and so many things to do that Darkcoin is being held back. Allow more people to help.

I honestly don't think anyone has been held back from helping! We've had a few people helping with compiling in the beginning as well as putting together a miner, but they've moved on. There is an open invitation to please update P2pool as well as stratum etc... we need compilers for Macs, the android team has taken on Darkcoin which is awesome. But seriously, nobody has stepped up for big help. I'm a useless no talent, I don't code at all. I'm not even around at the right time for testing! Frankly, we're lucky we have Evan (Well, none of this would ever have existed if it weren't for his unusual interests) He can be full time here because he's been successful in his short young life. The fact that he's always been interested in both programing and finance just gelled because of the advent of Bitcoin. I think at this point, it's all in his head, and he knows how everything is put together so that when something isn't working out quite right, he knows how to fix it, and for speed's sake, he kind of has to do this alone but just for the foundation. Once it's all finished and open sourced, it will be easier to delegate the work of adding features such as a market, an exchange, a messaging system, etc... Those could all be headed by individuals, and it'll be great, but for now, I don't think there is much we can do to help. It won't be much longer though. Soon!

Freakin hell, that rambled! I'm too tired to fix, hope you can follow, LOL

Everything takes time and organizing people is hard work. You can not manage people and engineer software at the same. I got paid to do that and did not have the time to properly focus on either task.

TanteStafana - you made a lot of points. I will attempt to address them

I honestly don't think anyone has been held back from helping! ...

There is no direction. Everybody is doing their own thing. People propose good ideas but most of the time, they are not acknowledged.
This guy wrote up a marketing plan outline and created a dummy site -> https://darkcointalk.org/threads/my-website-branding-proposal.280/
This guy asked if he should do some promotion on darkweb -> https://darkcointalk.org/threads/marketing-on-darkweb.343/

There is an open invitation to please update P2pool as well as stratum etc... we need compilers for Macs ...

I know there is a bounty for NOMP and p2pool updates. Who contacted the NOMP dev? Who posted in the bitcointalk thread asking for Mac compilers?

I think at this point, it's all in his head, and he knows how everything is put together so that when something isn't working out quite right, he knows how to fix it, and for speed's sake, he kind of has to do this alone but just for the foundation. Once it's all finished and open sourced, it will be easier to delegate the work of adding features such as a market, an exchange, a messaging system, etc...

I get it. Evan is doing the main coding and features. But while he does that, other items are neglected.

Everything takes time and organizing people is hard work. You can not manage people and engineer software at the same. I got paid to do that and did not have the time to properly focus on either task.

Great point. This is why others should be involved. Manage the people.

Evidently Evan would rather be developing than delegating tasks. This is probably a good call. Delegating takes time and energy.

Managing volunteers can be more trouble than it is worth. The reality is that people who can effectively get things done do not work for free. You often wind up with three kinds of volunteers:
  1. The person who likes to talk, but who does not produce anything.
  2. The person who has the time to help, but who does not have a useful skill set.
  3. The person who has an awesome skill set, but who is too busy to actually help.
After "managing" them, the few people who actually get things done often wind up with a lot less time and little to show for it. This time and energy that could have been spent on development, so everything slows down.

If anyone feels like managing volunteers, go for it. Seek forgiveness, not permission.

Evidently Evan would rather be developing than delegating tasks. This is probably a good call. Delegating takes time and energy.

Managing volunteers can be more trouble than it is worth. The reality is that people who can effectively get things done do not work for free. You often wind up with three kinds of volunteers:
  2. The person who has the time to help, but who does not have a useful skill set.
  3. The person who has an awesome skill set, but who is too busy to actually help.
After "managing" them, the few people who actually get things done often wind up with a lot less time and little to show for it. This time and energy that could have been spent on development, so everything slows down.

If anyone feels like managing volunteers, go for it. Seek forgiveness, not permission.

That is why there should be a team. Blockchain dev team (evan), Other sw dev lader (android wallet, ticker toolbar, etc), Marketing leader (develop cohesive message), bounty leader, forum leader (propulsion), treasurer, etc. Each team member could be paid a small amount from donations / proceeds from official pool.

A regular scheduled meeting among the team leaders to make sure they aware what each is doing.

The only people that can currently approve this are Evan and InternetApe. Without their blessing, any volunteer "leader" would immediately be seen as illegitimate.

I'm definitely #1 and would like to think of myself as #2 and certainly nothing close to #3

Which means I basically suck .... :(

Yes there is a foundation, and several pools are donating a percentage of their income toward it. But it's kind of not being used yet.... yah... problems eh?

Tante, its a 2 dev show at the moment, and how bloody brilliant things are going! Best we can do is keep on testing and giving feedback on what has been done, to better pave the way for new things to come. When masternodes launch, its a major milestone. To me, p2pool patching is the most important think for everyone to focus on, spreading the word and getting someone to patch the damn thing ;) - Then we have a fully featured coin and the masses will take notice, a foundation can be set-up properly and take it to the next level.

We can do our part helping newbies to Darkcoin, sharing our knowledge and engaging the rest of the community

Tante, its a 2 dev show at the moment, and how bloody brilliant things are going! Best we can do is keep on testing and giving feedback on what has been done, to better pave the way for new things to come....

The development is going well and has direction but everything else is by chance. That's because it is just two people. Two people focused almost exclusively on development.

...To me, p2pool patching is the most important think for everyone to focus on, spreading the word and getting someone to patch the damn thing...

Who is working on this?

A possible solution to this, at least until there is more consensus or people designated to lead, is to create a few more subs on the forum. That way information is pooled and people collaborate. I would suggest the following be considered:

1. Marketing
2. Tech support
3. Separate Master-node section
4. A Bounty sub, for open and proposed bounties
5. A section to post when wiki's or articles contain outdated information
6. Foundation and its purpose/plan>?
7. FAQ
9. Meetups?
10. Official/Important Announcements

There will also probably be a need a call for mods after/before RC2 goes live
Edit: Spelling/Ideas

Last edited by a moderator:
No one! As far as I know. There is a bounty. NOMP has been "patched" (dunno if workaround counts as patch). Could you tackle it?

https://darkcointalk.org/threads/developement-work-for-p2pool-and-nomp-stratum-patch.360/

NOMP was patched to work with a bug in darkcoin that is not being fixed.

I can't personally fix but I will work on it. My talent is in finding people to do things. The bounty is a good incentive.

If this was coordinated, there would be a request on Twitter (over 1k followers).

I will contact InternetApe to get him to publicize the bounty on Twitter.

I posted in the bitcointalk thread -> https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=421615.msg6599696#msg6599696

I will contact coins101 to ask him to repost in his two drk related threads.

NOMP was patched to work with a bug in darkcoin that is not being fixed.

I can't personally fix but I will work on it. My talent is in finding people to do things. The bounty is a good incentive.

If this was coordinated, there would be a request on Twitter (over 1k followers).

I will contact InternetApe to get him to publicize the bounty on Twitter.

I posted in the bitcointalk thread -> https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=421615.msg6599696#msg6599696

I will contact coins101 to ask him to repost in his two drk related threads.

A clear need a Marketing, Bounty Subs. : p

I have posted in bitcointalk thread and reddit. I contacted internetape via pm on this board. I contacted coins101 on bitcointalk and asked him to repost on his drk related threads.

There are other subforums on bitcointalk. I will check them and repost as necessary later.

I will also go to cryptocointalk and see if there is an appropriate section.

A possible solution to this, at least until there is more consensus or people designated to lead, is to create a few more subs on the forum. That way information is pooled and people collaborate. I would suggest the following be considered:

1. Marketing
2. Tech support
3. Separate Master-node section
4. A Bounty sub, for open and proposed bounties
5. A section to post when wiki's or articles contain outdated information
6. Foundation and its purpose/plan>?
7. FAQ
9. Meetups?
10. Official/Important Announcements

There will also probably be a need a call for mods after/before RC2 goes live
Edit: Spelling/Ideas

Good stuff.

Want to see something cool for bounties - http://just-wegi.de/myriadbounty/ . Each job has its own address. Community members can donate to the bounty fund they feel is important.

Back