• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Corrupt Masternode Walet after RC3 soft fork

I tried loading an older wallet file I was using for software I'm building with the new bitcoind. After closing it out and attempting to open it, it is now it is also corrupted in the same way. All zeroes and is the same file size as the one I sent 1k DRK too. Something very weird is going on, I have a working backup of that wallet file so something was lost, but it is very strange occurrence.
Based on this alone, I think it is now safe to say that the issue isn't from the Darkcoin daemon.

I tried loading an older wallet file I was using for software I'm building with the new bitcoind. After closing it out and attempting to open it, it is now it is also corrupted in the same way. All zeroes and is the same file size as the one I sent 1k DRK too. Something very weird is going on, I have a working backup of that wallet file so something was lost, but it is very strange occurrence.

Have you checked "binary wallet compatibility" ?

https://github.com/darkcoinproject/darkcoin/blob/master/doc/build-unix.md

libdb break compatibility.
Dependency Build Instructions: Ubuntu & Debian
Build requirements:

sudo apt-get install build-essential
sudo apt-get install libssl-dev
for Ubuntu 12.04:

sudo apt-get install libboost-all-dev
db4.8 packages are available here.

Ubuntu precise has packages for libdb5.1-dev and libdb5.1++-dev, but using these will break binary wallet compatibility, and is not recommended.

for other Ubuntu & Debian:

sudo apt-get install libdb4.8-dev
sudo apt-get install libdb4.8++-dev
sudo apt-get install libboost1.37-dev

Please report back when you have an idea what might be happening. Posts like "Basically due to this new update I got fucked out of 9700 dollars." seem to have caused a great deal of alarm, and if it turns out that what happened isn't the fault of the update at all it would be nice to undo as much of the damage as possible as soon as possible.

I'm not sure what caused it yet, I'm still talking to Evan about trying to find the core dumps. I'm still going through the logs and trying to figure out what happened, and why the new address didn't write anything to the wallet file and why my old wallet file had 0's written over it.

I did the same things I do with the clients I compile from source and never had these issues and this was the first time I used the precompiled client so I don't know if that was involved with the crash that left my wallet file zeroed out.

Of course I should have checked my backups before transfering coins and I should have transferred a smaller amount first but those don't get to the root of what caused this. This machine has definitely been used for other crypto clients without issue.

I will update the thread as I get more information from my logs.

I was just browsing some random historical threads and found this archived: https://www.reddit.com/r/DRKCoin/comments/2955u5/tried_to_setup_masternode_and_lost_1000_drk_coins/ The address in question seems to be (given by OP a few posts from the end): https://explorer.dashninja.pl/address/Xcp5aAE56XpB19DkUjTvyptvGKGrZPv4cs and it looks like amazingly the 1,000 DASH was recovered 4 days latter, it would be interesting to hear how as the threads don't seem to relate that, just curious, sorry for the necro.

Back