• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Corrupt Masternode Walet after RC3 soft fork

Yes, I shut down the daemon using CTRL+C, backed up the wallet and tried to kick it back on when I received the failed message. I guess this could be where the problem occurred.
How were you able to shut it down with CTRL+C? As far as I'm aware, if you start darkcoind with the daemon flag, to shut it down properly, you would need to issue the command "Darkcoind stop"

As long time supporter and being software dev, why on earth did you not join testnet, but ran a test on mainnet?

Not trying to pick a fight, truly! But you're not making sense. No testnet, dont agree with the absolutely logical and understandable closed-source, for a "massive loss" you dont even have private keys dumped, you didnt encrypt the wallet, c'mon!

You cannot stop the daemon with CTRL+C. Its "darkcoind stop".
You are the first and only to experience such phenomena.

Could please stop antagonizing an obvious community desperately trying to help you?

Did I blame the coin? I believe I was suggesting there perhaps is an issue in the bleeding edge version of the RC3 soft fork. I personally can't check the code so it is very difficult for me to determine the source of the problem. It is very clear to me many of you don't care about the code base at all and are only interested in making money.

My point was only that the way you present yourself matters. Given the tone and hysteria of the post (not to mention it was in the wrong forum) it had little chance of getting a pleasant response. And yes, in any community, there are large number in it for the money. To use this as a drawback is rather, like you always say, absurd.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also when I first loaded the new soft fork I did this:

./darkcoind masternode list
And got an empty hash
{
}

No matter what you say next, you either running stable version and not RC, or your darkcoind.conf has masternode=0 instread of masternode=1, both a clear indication almost nothing you say makes sense.

As long time supporter and being software dev, why on earth did you not join testnet, and ran a test on mainnet?

Not trying to pick a fight, truly! But you're not making sense. No testnet, dont agree with the absolutely logical and understandable closed-source, for a "massive loss" you dont even have private keys dumped, you didnt encrypt the wallet, c'mon!

You cannot stop the daemon with CTRL+C. Its "darkcoind stop".
You are the first and only to experience such phenomena.

Could please stop antagonizing an obvious community desperately trying to help you?

Just because I didn't run nodes on the test net does not mean I was not participating in other ways. Also first to report such a phenomena does not mean I'm the only one, the wallet could have been corrupting in other situations but no one reported it because they didn't lose coins.

I will stop to "disrupt" your thread, but before that a small reminder from the documentation for all users (advanced like the OP or not) :
"Backup wallet.dat. Frequently backup after, this is BETA software."

PS : Don't try to copy wallet.dat while the client is running

Yes, I shut down the daemon using CTRL+C, backed up the wallet and tried to kick it back on when I received the failed message. I guess this could be where the problem occurred.

If you press <CTRL><C> on linux you send a request to kill the process. This can be intercepted by the process (darkcoin) to cleanly shutdown itself or ignored (you get a error message back)

<Explanation>
superuser*com*questions*262942*whats-different-between-ctrlz-and-ctrlc-in-unix-command-line

I don't know the behaviour of the wallet. You can check if darkcoin isn't terminated/it's running with
ps aux | grep dark

If its running you can bring it back and cleanly shutdown/and save/create hopefully a working wallet.dat.

I didn't used my linux knowlede for years and it is little bit aged. You can get the console back with fg (put program in foreground) and bg (sends program to backgound). Please see above ecxplanation, hopefiully it helps you.

Best Wishes
hrodeberht

The darkcoin instance is definitely shut down by now, I have dd'd my mem in the hopes I might be able to find it in there but I can't think of anything else to do.

The darkcoin instance is definitely shut down by now, I have dd'd my mem in the hopes I might be able to find it in there but I can't think of anything else to do.

A good idea would to make a backup of the swap partition/file, too. Hopefully one of the developers/experts is able to recover the private keys from mem/swap (if they are stored there).

I grabbed the swap too, I went through the physical memory and didn't find anything useful. Hopefully I will have better luck in the swap. Perhaps if evan gets back to me he can least give me an idea if it would be possible to recover.

It appears that the problem wasn't darkoin, but with the improper method of shutdown using CTRL-C. I know from personal experience is switching between GUI desktops and command line terminals that I sometimes accidently hit CTRL-C in the terminal when I meant to copy text from the terminal...and that it does NOT shut down darkcoind.

I have an idea, but am not sure how to implement it. Is there a way to get darkcoind to output the private key of an address in your own wallet? If this were the case, it would be a trivial task to output and save such private key (someplace safe) BEFORE sending DRK to the address. Then, even in the event of catastrophic failure, you would be able to recover your DRK.

Any thoughts?

I tried loading an older wallet file I was using for software I'm building with the new bitcoind. After closing it out and attempting to open it, it is now it is also corrupted in the same way. All zeroes and is the same file size as the one I sent 1k DRK too. Something very weird is going on, I have a working backup of that wallet file so something was lost, but it is very strange occurrence.

Back