• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Cool Animation of Binary Star Ejecting Plasma at 1 Million mph

Sub-Ether

Do check out the excellent Nasa animation of a 1 million miles per hour ionized wind receding from a binary super star,Eta Carinae. (liquid smooth thermal imaging effect at 1:49 mins) .Put your settings to max :)

''Eta Carinae comprises two massive stars whose eccentric orbits bring them unusually close every 5.5 years. Both produce powerful gaseous outflows called stellar winds, which enshroud the stars'' ..
''the interaction of the two stellar winds accounts for many of the periodic changes observed in the system. The winds from each star have markedly different properties: thick and slow for the primary, lean and fast for the hotter companion. The primary's wind blows at nearly 1 million mph and is especially dense, carrying away the equivalent mass of our sun every thousand years. By contrast, the companion's wind carries off about 100 times less material than the primary's, but it races outward as much as six times faster.''

6a00d8341bf7f753ef0168e7680d16970c-500wi

There was a giant eruption recently, some think Eta Carinae will go supernova, but no need to worry because its 7000 light years away but the wind would tare your space ship apart if you were sight seeing near by!
Have a great weekend everyone :cool:

And to think this happened 7000 years ago just amazes me. It may already have gone supernova. But if the supernova travels at the speed of light it would hit us as soon as we observed it. So I guess it is something to worry about. :) I wonder what that would look like.

A light travelling towards you at the speed of light would just be a bright flash before it passed you. Then observing it as it went away from you, would it flicker? Or would it just dim?

Such a weird subject. :)

Edit:

A supernova only travels 10% the speed of light. So we're ok for 700 years! :)

And to think this happened 7000 years ago just amazes me. It may already have gone supernova. But if the supernova travels at the speed of light it would hit us as soon as we observed it. So I guess it is something to worry about. :) I wonder what that would look like.

A light travelling towards you at the speed of light would just be a bright flash before it passed you. Then observing it as it went away from you, would it flicker? Or would it just dim?

Such a weird subject. :)

Edit:

A supernova only travels 10% the speed of light. So we're ok for 700 years! :)
See the event horizon at the centre of these 28 massive stars swirling around the middle of our Galaxy around a black hole, this took 16 years because the stars take that time to orbit the black hole (some is not animation btw)

Back