• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Community Masternode Fund for Developers

Would you contribute to community masternodes?

• Total voters

Dr.Crypto

Hey everyone,

As you know, the Darkcoin community has been looking for different ways to collect funds for the dev team, for instance:
- start some tip-based fundraising: https://darkcointalk.org/threads/drk-team-tips-crowd-funding.2929/
- discuss a percentage of MN payments that would go directly to the Foundation: https://darkcointalk.org/threads/mn-percentage-for-development.2930/#post-30432

Now, I think that the problem with tips is that people (may) donate once in a while and then forget about it for long. Also, people may also see it as just money that goes away without direct result, even though it's actually a great help for the developers. Finally, the idea of setting up mandatory donations from the masternodes can also be perceived as totalitarian.

I'd like to suggest a new way to fund the development team: community masternodes. The principle would be that people would be free to send any amount of DRK they want to a given donation address. Once the donations reach 1000 DRK, a community masternode is setup, and all received payments are then donated to the development team. Though pure donations would always be welcome, anyone person donating to the fund could still get their coins back as long as a solution is found to keep the masternode on.

The pros of this approach would be as follows:
- anyone could contribute with the amount they want: rather than having 50 DRK sitting somewhere doing nothing, people could put them in a community masternode to fund the devs
- contributors would still be free to take their coins back when they actually need them
- at the current rate, the devs would get something like 20DRK per month, which is still modest right now but could go much higher later
- more masternodes are created, which supports the network's growth and health

I'm not going to offer to manage the community masternodes as people like flare or Ignition75 are probably better recognised by the community, but I'd like to get your opinions on this funding possibility!

Cheers,

I'm flat out getting a community wide GPU optimisation project launched, once that's done and dusted I was thinking of approaching vertoe and seeing if he wanted me to crowd fund his OpenBazaar integration work, but this is just as important.

Will be more then happy to help in any way I can...

I'm flat out getting a community wide GPU optimisation project launched, once that's done and dusted I was thinking of approaching vertoe and seeing if he wanted me to crowd fund his OpenBazaar integration work, but this is just as important.

Will be more then happy to help in any way I can...
Yup. What I meant was that, rather than getting a big, single crowdfunding exercise for discrete projects, an alternative would be that this money could be temporarily put towards a community masternode (CM). The coins obtained through masternode payments could be given directly to the Darkcoin team, or to third-party developers such as Wolf0 for their work. Also, when the crowdfunded project is working and delivered, some additional coins could be taken back from the CM funds and paid to the desired devs.

we have a community guy stating on OB when he is Finnished with electrum wallet (which is on TestNet already)
I think we should hold on with any crowd funding efforts as the foundation will launch soon and they will be/ should be in charge of that !
evan said the whole MN community donation implementation does not work or is too complicated , which is a bummer , as I agree , people will donate once and forget about it ! I would prefer tang a certain percentage just goes off my MN payments and done ... so we have to think of another way !

the problem still is / and has to be discusted how to outsource projects ! the problem is we have enough people working here for free, we can not just hire somebody for certain projects and not pay our people !!
I think we have to wait for the foundation to solve (or start a propper discussion) this !

PS: OB is burning under my toes and I try to get this going and moving since a while , but any outsource effort got stuck due to that payment question !!

Back