• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Collateralized mining - ETA

Propagandalf

Is there a rough ETA for when collateralized mining may become a reality? When this happens, is it possible for a miner to somehow collaborate with someone else's master node, or does each miner need to own 1000 coins to simultaneously run mining and the master node?

Will there be some sort of cap on how much mining power you can allocate to one master node?

Thanks for sharing it was knowledgeable.

I have few questions.

1. Expected timing as i could guess is June 2018? please share your guess
2. Master nodes will give key to mining contractors, so how this will reduce miners reward and how will miners be able to get mining key? would that be sole discretion of master nodes or what? And why will master nodes even give the keys? Why won't they simply do mining themselves?
3. I am confused on the fact that whether the sub contracting mining from master node to miner continue or subsequently master node will be the miner thus removing miners from the game?
4. When the block size increase to 2 MB and later on further will this increase the mining incentive / miners income too or not?

As a normal user running a single asic miner, how will collateralized mining affect me in the future? Since hashpower will be determined by how many masternodes a person runs, does that mean having a high h/s asic is meaningless? What I'm trying to find out is when collateralized mining is mandatory, how will a newcoming start mining dash? Can we still buy asics and join a pool to mine from home, or will we have to rent equipment from some datacenter?

1. Expected timing as i could guess is June 2018? please share your guess
Phase II would be around that time maybe. Don't know.

2. Master nodes will give key to mining contractors, so how this will reduce miners reward and how will miners be able to get mining key? would that be sole discretion of master nodes or what? And why will master nodes even give the keys? Why won't they simply do mining themselves?
I think i'll rent my key to the highest bidder.

3. I am confused on the fact that whether the sub contracting mining from master node to miner continue or subsequently master node will be the miner thus removing miners from the game?
Eventually miners would need a MN. Will miners become a MNO or will MNO become miners? Semantics.

4. When the block size increase to 2 MB and later on further will this increase the mining incentive / miners income too or not?
More transactions more fees i guess.

Thanks for the information and good questions so far. I am still wondering about the details concerning how Master Nodes can rent out their key to miners. Will negotiation be done directly between miner and MN, or through some sort of exchange? Or both perhaps? I'm also wondering if each MN is 'limited' to handling for instance 1000 MH/s hashrate, so that people who own ASICs with a higher amount of hashpower will need to sign contracts (rent keys) from multiple MNOs.

Definitely more transaction and more fees... always the difficulty problem.
I think that MNO will not become a big miner, maybe he will work as a Venture... just buying and selling...
Yes, it was a nice time for miners, who has some 1000 DASH now, has no reason, or better they have, or wait... there is no reason to be afraid about this... against miners, they are suffering everyday... the clock time is just doing tic-tac...

Definitely more transaction and more fees... always the difficulty problem.
I think that MNO will not become a big miner, maybe he will work as a Venture... just buying and selling...
Yes, it was a nice time for miners, who has some 1000 DASH now, has no reason, or better they have, or wait... there is no reason to be afraid about this... against miners, they are suffering everyday... the clock time is just doing tic-tac...

Lets hope for the best and have faith in power of nature :)

As a normal user running a single asic miner, how will collateralized mining affect me in the future? Since hashpower will be determined by how many masternodes a person runs, does that mean having a high h/s asic is meaningless? What I'm trying to find out is when collateralized mining is mandatory, how will a newcoming start mining dash? Can we still buy asics and join a pool to mine from home, or will we have to rent equipment from some datacenter?

The details haven't been spelled out but I imagine its something you can scale so home miners can pool their hashes for example if you have 1 DASH you can mine up at 100Mhs, 10 DASH allows up to 1Ghs, 100 DASH allows for 10GHs and 1 masternode could run at 100 GHs...

The details haven't been spelled out but I imagine its something you can scale so home miners can pool their hashes for example if you have 1 DASH you can mine up at 100Mhs, 10 DASH allows up to 1Ghs, 100 DASH allows for 10GHs and 1 masternode could run at 100 GHs...

And what is your prediction for its activation?

I don't see it until there is high centralization of miners currently DASH has a nice spread of mining power right now IMO lets see when new generations of miners start getting powered up. The future is exciting!

So you need to spend a couple hundred thousand just to make sure you will be able to mine? Seems crazy to invest in the miners unless you own a node

So you need to spend a couple hundred thousand just to make sure you will be able to mine? Seems crazy to invest in the miners unless you own a node

I am confident DASH Foundation will keep in view the interest of miners and do not allow nodes to monopolize it, lets hope for the best! On the other hands they are trying to do it to make sure no single mining group can take it over just like bitmain did in case of bitcoin

I am confident DASH Foundation will keep in view the interest of miners and do not allow nodes to monopolize it, lets hope for the best! On the other hands they are trying to do it to make sure no single mining group can take it over just like bitmain did in case of bitcoin
I don't like to invest in hope. I read it and kind of get what they are trying to do but seems like a big risk. I could see a scenario of having to bribe a master node in able to get permission to mine..I was gonna get a couple A5 dash miners but at $10k each and this additional risk i think I'll stick to one. Worst case I'll have to sell it at a loss to someone with a masternode since I can't afford a masternode

By the time this could happen the A5 model is a historical relic, only used for pivx, on stolen electric. Maybe with the A12 model.
I thought pivx was only POS no mining? And if this A5 gonna be obsolete that fast maybe I should sell it instead of mining lol

I'm not su sure about that. If I had to guess, the Dash Foundation would favor the MasterNodes, not the miners. Anyone can buy a Baikal miner today. Not everyone can buy a MN today. People who have MNs are early adopters and supporters, and big whales (now or back then). It would've been relatively easy to put $2000 when Dash was worth $2 in 2015, as opposed to $200.000 now. I'd think Dash would favor early adopters and big investors rather than a regular joe miner. And it makes sense. I bet founders have lots of MNs, and would like to support those who supported them when they weren't that popular, back in the DarkCoin days.

Back