• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Can you think of a project to fund ?

As I have said previously in many other threads, apart from the dev team getting their cut, the ENTIRE budget needs to be expended on marketing and PR activities for at least the next 3-6 months. You look at the largest companies who even sell shonky stuff but rake in the cash...why....because their budgets are spent on marketing and PR.....We have an amazing product and its time to get serious with marketing as this is where Dash is severely lacking. I think there is so many fronts to attack and there is more work to do in this space than even coding of the new evolution system. It seems as though there is some secret work going on in the back end but we need to allocate as much budget as we can.

I feel as though we have plateaued with the number of investors and users and this is a great time to enter as an investor with evolution on the horizon but most people dont even know about Dash. I bet you put a poll on the main BTC forum and everyone will either have a negative opinion based on 9-12 month old information (closed source, trusted masternodes, reference nodes) or they have never heard of it. Dont even get me started on normal every day users, we are well outside of their reach at this time.

Edit: Look at this for reference and see which points Dash is currently excelling at....product development....the rest...not so much.
Oxke9az.png

Last edited by a moderator:
It came to my attention that if all of the coins in the superblock are not allocated the rest of the coins that have no proposals get destroyed. That seems like such a waste.

I'm sorry but this is a really bad idea.

If the coins get destroyed (is that what happens? hmmm), then so be it. Every holder ends up having a larger portion of the total. That's exactly how it should be.
In case unused coins don't get destroyed, then the unspent coins should be paid out to all existing addresses (admittedly, this creates a PoS curse, so I'd prefer that they be destroyed).

Disclosure: I don't hold any Dash yet (waiting for money to arrive to exchange), but will hold some soon.

and "too many cooks.... "
we can not put any idea to open discussions + Vote, sorry but it just does not work like that
(you know how long it will take to get anything done ?)
+ everything is leaked right away (i can see that tweets already: "Dash will do .... soon')

we are not doing the PR campaign for our community (as we know you guys are all in) but we need you to be as
excited about it as the next guy (outsider) for sharing, posting, bumping,....

any suggestions from the community are well listened to and noted
but 'many cooks....' you have to find and stick to a certain plan, you can not just do everything at the same time.

there are certain aspects of the PR you can do, paid PR and Stories, paid share of Press Releases, paid shares of video,.....
imagine our troll friends getting wind of that and the whole PR campaign fails as every second comment will come from them pointing at :
Thread x = paid PR
sorry, no offence everybody (i did not want to start this discussion here)
but trust me that PR campaigning has to be sorted out in a small team
1st to get anything done
2nd to have the surprise effect

if there are issues and you guys do not trust us to take care of that money in a proper way
(thinking we spend it on coffee, ice-cream and margaritas)
there were discussions before about a community auditor who can look into the books if needed.
I am totally overtaking myself (and the plan) here, but these ideas are already in motion.

Is there a need for complications? Not sure how it would work post-Evolution but it's easy to see what addresses funds went to and fill in what they where spent on afterwards, just like doing regular books but without all the buggering around entering figures and invoice numbers and all that tedious whatever. I'd be dead against no accounting though, mysterious black holes magicking away funds like a government budget, it doesn't inspire trust.

On that note I'm kind of shocked no-one seems to have put together a crypto accounting package yet, it made my life a hell of a lot easier just with regular transactions and I'd imagine the beancounters would wet themselves if they saw how much work they could save with the advanced stuff (or maybe they like that kind of thing, idk).

Is there a need for complications? Not sure how it would work post-Evolution but it's easy to see what addresses funds went to and fill in what they where spent on afterwards, just like doing regular books but without all the buggering around entering figures and invoice numbers and all that tedious whatever. I'd be dead against no accounting though, mysterious black holes magicking away funds like a government budget, it doesn't inspire trust.

On that note I'm kind of shocked no-one seems to have put together a crypto accounting package yet, it made my life a hell of a lot easier just with regular transactions and I'd imagine the beancounters would wet themselves if they saw how much work they could save with the advanced stuff (or maybe they like that kind of thing, idk).

that is all in spreadsheets / Excel, no worries with the logistics.
we are totally aware on this, and it is top of the agenda to come up with a solution (transparency, sharing or not,...)
but
some guys are still on jetlack due to amsterdam and evan is still there
(as usual , we need a bit more time)

i think we need to have at least one working value added project on MN program, before wasting coin for PR and adv.

i think of
1. VPN
2. trading coin program (like quatloo) which user need to hold certain amount of dash

I'd also like to see someone make a mobile dash wallet as a plugin e.g. easily integrated into personal finance apps like Financisto. I mean, what better way to get dash into peoples hands than by stealth. All these mobile wallets are great but when it comes to tracking expenses they usually just allow you to attach a note to a transaction.. that is not helpful! I can't help thinking that to win end-users, all wallets will eventually have to include expense managers... or preferably the other way around; expense managers with wallet back-ends.

Another idea of mine is for the MN network to implement a message broadcast system, to facilitate automation and free speech:

https://dashtalk.org/threads/automation-internet-of-things-and-free-speech.6295/

I think it would be nice to spend some coins on a thorough audit of the code, security audit, maybe put up a bounty for breaking DarkSend. I know these ideas aren't new, and have already been discussed somewhere on this forum. I just want to bring them up again because I think an audit would be a good idea. Kristov Atlas did a great job last year but maybe let's hire a reputable security company this time. It should add more prestige to our project and let us sleep easier :)

Such security audit has an additional benefit. It would give us something to counter some of these ridicules accusations made by trolls.

I think it would be nice to spend some coins on a thorough audit of the code, security audit, maybe put up a bounty for breaking DarkSend. I know these ideas aren't new, and have already been discussed somewhere on this forum. I just want to bring them up again because I think an audit would be a good idea. Kristov Atlas did a great job last year but maybe let's hire a reputable security company this time. It should add more prestige to our project and let us sleep easier :)

Such security audit has an additional benefit. It would give us something to counter some of these ridicules accusations made by trolls.

This is a good idea, to create a bounty for security bugs or speed up security audit if necessary.

fible1: I wonder if 2FA could be done in a modular way which could be used by different software packages.

How about unused coins would go to faucet on the new official site to stimulate people to check out the site and paper wallets that are distributed at conferences something like 5 dash per paperwallet. try that out for a couple of months. Might amount be to large sum to do for longer than that.

Cant see the point in a security test if the code is being rewritten to the protocol level, better to wait until sections of Evolution are finished and perhaps offer incentive bounties for the breaking the revised code as it is released and tested.

Cant see the point in a security test if the code is being rewritten to the protocol level, better to wait until sections of Evolution are finished and perhaps offer incentive bounties for the breaking the revised code as it is released and tested.

Well, you know what they say: Security is a process. The next refactoring is always right around the corner, so if you want to wait for that, you'll never do the audit. The point is that a) the code is in the wild & used by a number of people and b) the funds we're talking about expire in less than 30 days. So if the alternative would be just to burn them, why not make a bounty from them?

We only seem to be looking at funds from a hand-to-mouth perspective and not from the perspective of putting something into a budget each month until it accumulates enough for a major undertaking, saving up enough for a top of the line security review by a brand name company (does such a thing exist?) would be both testing and PR.

As I have said previously in many other threads, apart from the dev team getting their cut, the ENTIRE budget needs to be expended on marketing and PR activities for at least the next 3-6 months. You look at the largest companies who even sell shonky stuff but rake in the cash...why....because their budgets are spent on marketing and PR.....We have an amazing product and its time to get serious with marketing as this is where Dash is severely lacking. I think there is so many fronts to attack and there is more work to do in this space than even coding of the new evolution system. It seems as though there is some secret work going on in the back end but we need to allocate as much budget as we can.

I feel as though we have plateaued with the number of investors and users and this is a great time to enter as an investor with evolution on the horizon but most people dont even know about Dash. I bet you put a poll on the main BTC forum and everyone will either have a negative opinion based on 9-12 month old information (closed source, trusted masternodes, reference nodes) or they have never heard of it. Dont even get me started on normal every day users, we are well outside of their reach at this time.

Edit: Look at this for reference and see which points Dash is currently excelling at....product development....the rest...not so much.
Oxke9az.png

I agree in principle, but I think the time is not yet right for that. Dash Evolution is looking to be such a huge, radical paradigm shift in our project (and in crypto in general) that I would wait until after its released to make really big PR waves.

If it was up to me, I'd suggest something along the lines of 50% for development (core team plus other development-related projects), 25% to future PR/marketing, and 25% to current PR/marketing. I definitely think we need to continue marketing right now, but I think the big shift (like 25% to development and 75% to marketing) should be made AFTER Evolution is released.

Just using rough numbers, here is what I suggest:

Current:
Development: $10,000 per month
PR: $5,000 per month
Future PR Fund: $5,000 per month

Future (after Evolution is released and stable):
Development: $5,000 per month
PR: $15,000 per month

Let's assume (based on other major releases from the past) that it takes an additional four months from today to launch Evolution and get it stable on mainnet:

Four months of savings @ $5,000 per month = $20,000
First month post-Evolution PR budget = $15,000
Total to invest in PR blitz upon Evolution's release = $35,000

That would be a nice figure to work with, I think. Then, instead of saying "We have a really cool coin with lots of future potential" we can say "We have revolutionized digital money. Here's Dash Evolution."

Why wasting money on breaking Darksend if there will be no darksend in the evolution thing? Didn't Evan said something like that?
I can't imagine instantly anonymous coins and slow-as-fuck-mixing at the same time? Are we talking about the same coin? :D

I'd like to see 2FA suport, such as Trezor or google Auth, on the core wallet.

Seems like this feature would be a win for everyone.

Pablo.

2FA was planned some time ago. Anyone knows what happened to that? I also would like to see that in the core wallet.

Why wasting money on breaking Darksend if there will be no darksend in the evolution thing? Didn't Evan said something like that?
I can't imagine instantly anonymous coins and slow-as-fuck-mixing at the same time? Are we talking about the same coin? :D
You are right. I'm not saying that we have to do the audit right now, but I think it would be good to do it at some point in the near future. Maybe When the dust settles after launching evolution we can start thinking about the audit

Back