• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Can x11 be made asic proof?

thesavoyard

Clearly we have a problem with Chinese data centers controlling Dash. They won't release their asic miners as long as they make more mining. Dash is in danger of becoming Bitcoin. Since the Dash core team has the keys to the encryption and Dash has mastered a hard fork, can GPU mining be added and maybe eventually take over? Myriad has multi-mining algorithms, I'd like to see Dash add GPU mining and eventually phase out ASICs to prevent centralization.

Clearly we have a problem with Chinese data centers controlling Dash. They won't release their asic miners as long as they make more mining. Dash is in danger of becoming Bitcoin. Since the Dash core team has the keys to the encryption and Dash has mastered a hard fork, can GPU mining be added and maybe eventually take over? Myriad has multi-mining algorithms, I'd like to see Dash add GPU mining and eventually phase out ASICs to prevent centralization.

Changing the algorithm so that GPU mining is the norm wont defeat the problem. No matter what you implement whether it be CPU/GPU algorithms the Chinese generally will just take it on and build farms for it, if it seems profitable. The best way to deal with such an issue is to control it and i believe Evan and the core team mentioned this at some point a few months ago on controlling mining to prevent such an issue as centralization.

Well the only x11 manufacturers at the moment won't sell their miners. So I'd say GPU mining would take the monopoly from them. How can they control the mining?

that is not a Chinese data centers issue
that is a general economy issue

Nothing we can do tbh
centralisation - not a problem - look at the 12.1 update - all miners /pool were updated in 24h

It would be a great way to piss off a growing industry that made millions of USD worth of infrastructural investment into our project (in self interest of course) while securing our network.

We should embrace the fact that people actually took the time/money/energy to develop ASICs for an algorithm a ginger hacker from Arizona came up with 3.5 years ago. It's a huge recognition further proving that Dash is not just a random shitcoin. Also, as usual with Dash: We're a special case anyway. Miners aren't the ultimate arbiters for everything in our network thanks to our Masternodes.

Even if it should ever become a probelm: With Evan's idea of collateralizing mining it'll evaporate anyway in the next couple of years.

It would be fine if they continued to sell the miners to the public, but they've been keeping them for months now. Hashpower has grown but only in datacenters in China I assume. I hope a new x11 manufacturer comes out soon to challenge them.

ASICs are designed specifically to implement an algorithm and will always be .... Could an algorithm be made ASIC-resistant by simply adding.

Back