• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Can a masternode skip his payment?

Kayser

Is it possible for a masternode to arrive in its position of receiving the reward, but not receiving it, even though its last payment registered in the listing column is in the dash core? Why would a masternode skip his payment? On what occasions can this occur and how often?

According to information we have of the secret, unknowable inner workings of DASH that nobody ever talks about, MasterNodes don't get skipped, they get kicked off the network entirely. By this mechanism, they don't get paid because they're not in the network anymore.

I'd like to see a skip mechanism instead. That way misbehaving/underperforming nodes would simply be sentenced to community service... What benefit they are providing, even if not up to par, would be provided for free. Which is appropriate, because sub-standard service to the network does not deserve to be paid.

Is it possible for a masternode to arrive in its position of receiving the reward, but not receiving it, even though its last payment registered in the listing column is in the dash core? Why would a masternode skip his payment? On what occasions can this occur and how often?

This was much more a problem with our old masternode payment logic, it could happen that masternodes either did not get paid (unlucky masternode) or got paid twice (winning the lottery / lucky masternode). With our new deterministic masternode system that is no longer the case. As camosoul already mentioned, masternodes now either get paid or get de-listed / kicked from the network.

The PoSe Penalty score show a possible problem with masternodes (0 = no problem), if a masternode PoSe Penalty score gets too high it automatically ends up in a PoSe ban status.
Which is the 'delisting / kicking of the network' part.

Link :

https://www.dashninja.pl/deterministic-masternodes.html (to see the PoSe Penalty scores of the masternodes)
https://docs.dash.org/en/stable/masternodes/maintenance.html#proof-of-service-bans (to get a more detailed description of the PoSe ban)
https://docs.dash.org/en/stable/masternodes/understanding.html#proof-of-service (to get a more detailed description of PoSe)

The largest impact on PoSe Penalty score will be failure of masternodes to participate in DKG (Distributed Key Generator) --> 66% punishment

3f3Kmlk.jpg

Current number of active masternodes : 4642
66% of 4642 : 3064 (rounded upwards)
PoSe Penalty score for failure to participate in DKG : 3064

Looking at above situation :

If a masternode with a PoSe Penalty of 1579 or higher gets another large PoSe penalty (for example due to failure to participate in DKG), it will automatically ends up in PoSe ban
(1579+3064 = 4643 = exceeding number of registered masternodes)

If a masternode with a PoSe Penalty of 1578 or lower gets another large PoSe penalty (due to failure to participate in DKG), it will not get PoSe banned just yet.
(1578+3064 = 4642 = not exceeding number of registered masternodes)
That masternode can still bring down its own PoSe Penalty score over time.

** Above calculation is my own interpretation of when PoSe ban occurs exactly, please have someone correct me if those numbers are incorrect **

Last edited:
I understood it as rules, but I would like to know if it is currently possible for a masternode that has PoSe 0 and is in the ENABLED situation in the list of the wallet dash core, to be showing his last payment in the expected block, but in fact his reward did not arrive in his on your payoutAddress?

I understood it as rules, but I would like to know if it is currently possible for a masternode that has PoSe 0 and is in the ENABLED situation in the list of the wallet dash core, to be showing his last payment in the expected block, but in fact his reward did not arrive in his on your payoutAddress?

That should not be possible, specially not with an enabled masternode with a PoSe 0.

What can happen is that the 'Next Payment' block gets moved up a bit, due to other masternodes getting into a PoSe ban. That means the reward ends up a few blocks earlier then people perhaps expect in their payoutAddress.

What i normally do is check current block and check 'Next Payment' block and then simply deduct the current block from the 'Next Payment' block to get the number of blocks to go.
I then update this every few days for myself to get a more up to date number of blocks to go, before next payment.

I never witnessed with my deterministic masternode a skipped masternode payment the way you describe. I suggest you check your payoutAddress on a block explorer and see if you can spot a missed payment there. You can use this block explorer : https://chainz.cryptoid.info/dash/
You should see payments coming in every 8 or 9 days.

I do seem to recall at the very start of our deterministic masternodes system that masternodes needed a full cycle first, before getting any masternode payments.
But that was just when we switched over, from our old masternode system to our new deterministic masternode system. Even then i don't recall having any missed masternode payments.

Last edited:
Back