• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Budget Proposal - «Donation to Edward Snowden»

alex-ru

Judging by last interview https://dashtalk.org/threads/interviewed-nsa-whistleblower-edward-snowden-for-the-electronic-frontier-foundations-pioneer-awards.6271/
Edward Snowden still didn’t test and even don’t know about Dash cryptocurrency.

What do you think about voting for donation (I guess 600 DASH (?) is reasonable sum + 200 DASH (?) to organize informational campaign about this event and to inform Snowden about it somehow and transfer DASH directly to his Dash wallet…) Can we organize it?

Reasons to do it are:

1. To support the most reputable Person who protects the values shared by the majority of the Dash community (I guess).

2. To let him send anonymized money (DASH) to any (authoritative) payees who may be also interested in Dash and will start using Private Digital Cash as a result.

3. We can expect some positive Media PR reaction to this action.

4. We have chance to get some evaluation of DASH from competent Celebrity and opinion leader.

What do you think about it?

Last edited by a moderator:
grrr... :D

That is a fantastic idea I already had, but hadn't proposed because it's within another idea I have for a future budget proposal :tongue:

I would definitely vote positively on this!

Brilliant PR move, agree on the timing mentioned above. Dash should be nearing a completed product, easier to use for the curious newcomers such a move would bring.

I would also suggest to not only highlight privacy, but also the speed. We are no longer a one-trick pony. If we add "ease of use" to our repertoire by then, it could generate a whole lot of new users!

IF we do this, only after v0.13 is out, darksend is gone and replaced with the instant solution. Anon feature have to be perfect first.

I agree with this, and you would get my vote.

Pablo.

I think this is much more complex than just doing a donation !
We could do the above , but that would not mean we actually get anything out of it !

The key here (i think) would be to associate with Greenwald, Electronic Frontier Association, any privacy concern group .... and build up a reputation over that ! We have never done this, and we REALLY should ! We have to put the ground work in to get any rep in this scene.
Only donating to Snowden and hoping for returns is too simple as an approach.
Snoden is a clever guy, and will not fall for such a PR stunt/attempt (he know we want his name on this).

We should really talk this through in the proper way before we push this idea any further.

Sure it would be amazing if Snowden says: "Dash is what i use for my finances"
but
there is much more work to do than just send some cash !
Plus we have to be ready for probable repercussions coming out of this !

Are we ready for that ? (i do not think so)
Should we do it ? (i think we should save our money for now and do the legwork in the privacy scene 1st)

just my 2 Duff's !

Being that I love Edward Snowden for what he's done, I have to agree with Tungfa in that he is now well insulated from the public. We won't be able to get to him but through others, and if they think we just want to use his name for our product, we'll just get the door shut in our face.

So what to do? Well, I think we could start donating, and maybe open up a dialog with his handlers (I'm calling them that, but I realize they're really his protectors). In the mean time, if v13 is going to happen within the next 6 months, then, after getting to know his people and hopefully gaining trust, we could also ask if Mr. Snowden would be interested in doing a review of our currency. I highly suspect that if the USA's next president is more of a libertarian (and boy, I've been seeing a LOT of libertarian bumper stickers lately, and I live in a VERY liberal town) I think Mr. Snowden will be pardoned. Lets make friends. Lets make this a project for the foundation, as an official face of Dash, to make friends with his people. We could develop a long term relationship with him. And when he is pardoned and his name is cleared, he could be the best friend we ever had.

I honestly think that our philosophy and his are a great match. Only opening dialog will verify that. In the mean time, he is well cared for and us giving him a couple of grand isn't going to "buy" him. He obviously has integrity. And that's his #1 asset. Lets earn his respect, but that takes commitment and time. But yes, lets do something in this direction! Maybe a little under the wire, not so loud. We get this thing funded, then let the foundation do it's work. We can get reports from the foundation on how its going, but we don't scream it to the world "hey, we got Snowden on our side!" This is something, if we're smart, we build up a relationship, a trust, and in a year or so, when Snowden is a free man, he might agree to something fantastic, like being the face of Dash in commercials, etc... But this can only happen if Mr. Snowden also believes in Dash.

Being that I love Edward Snowden for what he's done, I have to agree with Tungfa in that he is now well insulated from the public. We won't be able to get to him but through others, and if they think we just want to use his name for our product, we'll just get the door shut in our face.

So what to do? Well, I think we could start donating, and maybe open up a dialog with his handlers (I'm calling them that, but I realize they're really his protectors). In the mean time, if v13 is going to happen within the next 6 months, then, after getting to know his people and hopefully gaining trust, we could also ask if Mr. Snowden would be interested in doing a review of our currency. I highly suspect that if the USA's next president is more of a libertarian (and boy, I've been seeing a LOT of libertarian bumper stickers lately, and I live in a VERY liberal town) I think Mr. Snowden will be pardoned. Lets make friends. Lets make this a project for the foundation, as an official face of Dash, to make friends with his people. We could develop a long term relationship with him. And when he is pardoned and his name is cleared, he could be the best friend we ever had.

I honestly think that our philosophy and his are a great match. Only opening dialog will verify that. In the mean time, he is well cared for and us giving him a couple of grand isn't going to "buy" him. He obviously has integrity. And that's his #1 asset. Lets earn his respect, but that takes commitment and time. But yes, lets do something in this direction! Maybe a little under the wire, not so loud. We get this thing funded, then let the foundation do it's work. We can get reports from the foundation on how its going, but we don't scream it to the world "hey, we got Snowden on our side!" This is something, if we're smart, we build up a relationship, a trust, and in a year or so, when Snowden is a free man, he might agree to something fantastic, like being the face of Dash in commercials, etc... But this can only happen if Mr. Snowden also believes in Dash.
So how do we open a dialogue? What's our first move in this?

So how do we open a dialogue? What's our first move in this?
AS Tante said. We have to start working with Snowden's "handlers" (protectors sounds better) I am guessing it would be great to reach out to EFF and The Intercept. At this point I am not sure what we would tell them. Maybe give them a quick overview of Dash, tell them how it can benefit finances of their organisations and at the end asked them if they could start accepting donations in DASH. If they do, it would give us some nice publicity (maybe the word would even get to Edward) and at that point we could start thinking about our next move.

Great way to start, AnarchicCluster, IMO. I think a reoccurring budget of 600 coins sounds great, we can have the foundation collect them and give them to the appropriate people while establishing a dialogue. The foundation is under our employ. We can ask them to do this for us, and with their policy of transparency in accounts, we can watch what is happening. I think it's perfectly secure. Evan is the current head of the foundation, he is approximately the same age as Mr. Snowden, they're both technologically inclined. Evan is the face of Dash, I know he is working hard, but it would be best if he were the one to establish communication, along with some of the others. I suspect they could hit it off well, if they could ever actually communicate with each other.

It's really a long term, no instant satisfaction kind of proposal, but I think most if not all of us here are in it for the very long haul (changing the world). Or? So an investment from the Dash Virtual Corporation, in establishing relationships, seems to me to be a very valid and important function. Mr. Snowden doesn't have to be the only one we reach out to either, though he's the obvious first.

AS Tante said. We have to start working with Snowden's "handlers" (protectors sounds better) I am guessing it would be great to reach out to EFF and The Intercept. At this point I am not sure what we would tell them. Maybe give them a quick overview of Dash, tell them how it can benefit finances of their organisations and at the end asked them if they could start accepting donations in DASH. If they do, it would give us some nice publicity (maybe the word would even get to Edward) and at that point we could start thinking about our next move.

i agree
the key is to start that slow (and string up the horse from the back / das pferd von hinten aufziehen)

we should not even reach out to snodwen or Greenwald (handler) but start with Intercept + EFF
approach them professional from the core team, no donations, no offers, just explaining how much better it would be (for them) to accept Dash Donations (privacy).
And parallel we should do the same with WikiLeaks, ...... there is a whole list of places i do not have on hand now.....
start that communication accross the board with all Privacy Concerned-Deserve / Freedom Loving/ ... Foundations and Outlets. Eventually one after the other (fingers crossed) will start to accept Dash (then we have to make sure they actually get donations in Dash)
and then
we can take this to the next level and talk to Greenwald, Snowden or wherever else we want to take this.

If the above happens it has to be handles very professional and in a sensitive /conscious/.... way !
Are we really supporting these causes ? or are we just hunting for PR ?
we better be very clear with ourself and the community that we ARE supporting these causes, otherwise this will not happen, as we will just be fishing for cheap PR on the back of great, nessacery, important causes and foundations !!

+ we would be reaching in 'sensitive' territory there, and it might be a good idea to hear from evan and core guys if we are actually ready for that
(tech wise, but message and philosophy wise as well)

(sorry, i am a bit in a rush here, otherwise i would have expressed myself better and more clear ... dam phone)

I don't know, I just realized I'm not sure about supporting wikileaks. Their policy of putting everything out in the open instead of considering the damage they might cause (death of people, etc..) makes me realize some people may not "support" what Snowden did (though I can't imagine it except for unthinking reactionaries)

So I'm wondering if we can't do this a different way, not to support causes but to find a common ground with them. Something both sides, the Dash Virtual Currency and the entity, be it Snowden, Wikileaks, the Greek government or National Geographic, can come together on. Both sides want to support and get the word out on, fund, etc...

Say we talk to Snowden about privacy, and control of government spending by taking the economy out of their hands. And then approach Wikileaks with ways to help protect their sources via an untraceable funding system, or National Geographic with a shared vision of banking the unbanked.

As long as the community, or Dash Virtual Corporation's best interests and the other entities best interests are the binding glue, I think it'd be better than stepping into politics that some community members would not be able to agree with.

I agree. I would rather start by donating to the EFF and getting their attention. They could then be an entre to Snowden or other things.

I'm torn on my opinions of Snowden. I'm glad we now know the things he revealed, but technically he committed treason. It's a lot to swallow. For that reason--the controversy--I would rather we support the EFF or some less controversial entity that is aligned with our goals. I also think we need to be aware that any coins we send them will be unceremoniously dumped on the market as well.

Lets not pretend. We do want this for his name. But, that's not ALL we want, and we can both do good without each other. It's just better that we team up.

Back