• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Bounty fund

Icebucket

I want to propose a Bounty fund

I have been seeing some proposals that "need" technical write ups and other ones that can easily be harvested from our community. For fractions of the cost to hire someone that knows nothing about Dash and has to start from scratch.

It does not need to be a big fund, maybe 100 dash per month from the budget gets added to the fund and then distributed to the winners each month.

A bounty system really engages the core believers and gives them a challenge that could be rewarded in Dash, (they are also more likely not to sell them) instead of that technical writer or whatever contractor will get the job, they will want to convert to USD.

Just so you know. I dont want to be the fund manager of this bounty fund, I just think this should be one of the ammunition in the foundations arsenal. Instead of looking outwards for talent, look within and you will find the experts were here all along.

Last edited:
Also a bounty fund can be fun like 10 Dash for the best dash picture or whatever. There is a huge benefit in engaging its community in a healthy competition.

That sounds like using the budget to fund a project without a specific goal.

Aren't bounties typically funded directly from people that want specific things?

Aren't bounties typically funded directly from people that want specific things?

...Maybe it's kinda like a raffle... fun for participants... a community interest fun kinda thing ???

:)
rc

I dunno whether I'd be happy or sad if there was nothing better to do with the development fund than gamble with it.

I dunno whether I'd be happy or sad if there was nothing better to do with the development fund than gamble with it.
Not really gambling is it, It could spawn so much from the community if they have a way to participate for a small reward.
There are other ways also that this small fund could help like for give outs at conferences.
Or just what ever some genius in our mists comes up with ;)

The goal would be to engage the community to produce something of value for Dash.

The goal would be to engage the community to produce something of value for Dash.

I agree that the community should stimulate contributions, efforts and dedication from individual members (and money is not the only form of incentive, nor it is the most important).

I nostalgically love the open sourced peer-to-peer way of DASH in its beginnings. But I wonder if this is what the community wants now: do the community still value volunteer contributions? Because I have got a feeling that the general consensus now is on a corporate model, instead.

I really don't understand why some people separate contributions based on whether they are voluntary or compensated. If a member of the community carries out task X, does task X have some additional benefit if it is based in altruism?

If not, then only reason to try to get a community member to volunteer is if we are trying to cut expenses which hardly necessary given the rising price and the fact that unused budget money is burned monthly. Not to mention the fact that the vast majority of the time you get what you pay for.

In essence, I don't think there has been any change in philosophy, but rather DASH is heavily leveraging its unique decentralized treasury feature in order to expedite high quality development / documentation / etc.

What am I missing here?

I really don't understand why some people separate contributions based on whether they are voluntary or compensated. If a member of the community carries out task X, does task X have some additional benefit if it is based in altruism?

If not, then only reason to try to get a community member to volunteer is if we are trying to cut expenses which hardly necessary given the rising price and the fact that unused budget money is burned monthly. Not to mention the fact that the vast majority of the time you get what you pay for.

In essence, I don't think there has been any change in philosophy, but rather DASH is heavily leveraging its unique decentralized treasury feature in order to expedite high quality development / documentation / etc.

What am I missing here?

That's why I said that money is not the only form of incentive. Support, recognition, attention, the deserved manifestation of gratitude towards induvidual efforts from the community, are great examples of incentives (much more efficient than money, most of the times).... but...

That's why I said that money is not the only form of incentive. Support, recognition, attention, the deserved manifestation of gratitude towards induvidual efforts from the community, are great examples of incentives (much more efficient than money, most of the times).... but...

I don't necessarily disagree. The good thing is that the people motivated by those things shouldn't be disinclined to volunteer regardless of what proposals are up for vote.

Essentially with the budget system we should be able to attract all types -- including those who are not motivated only by money.

Last edited:
I don't necessarily disagree. The good thing is that the people motivated by those things shouldn't be disinclined to volunteer regardless of what proposals are up for vote.

Essentially with the budget system we should be able to attract all types -- including those who are not motivated only by money.

I guess they will be disinclined to volunteer as soon as they notice that volunteers can be considered to be an "inconvenience" in a corporate model structure ;)

Guys, Im only suggesting that we engage the community and have some fun with a tiny fraction of the budget. All work and no play makes ... u know ;)

Does not need to be 100 dash, 10 dash might just do fine..

a monthly competition in graphics, writing, video, anything really just something creative and fun

Last edited:
I'm all for more efficiency in regards to funds allocation. We've seen where waste is getting us: Nowhere.
Btw: How many Lamassu ATMs are running Dash currently and where can I buy one? Oops...
Dart Payments anyone? Oops_2...

With the Slack Community Proposal having passed I agree with UdjinM6 that this specific prop is now unnecessary but let me clarify one thing: We are talking about actual bounties. Funds that will be paid after a job is done (as seen in the real world). No more "Pay and Pray". At least with that fraction of the Blockchain Budget. Chance of Fraud: 0%

Back