• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Bitcoin's "network effect" is NOT insurmountable

David

Just replied to a post on /r/BitcoinMarkets. Food for thought:

When was the last time anybody you knew went to a store and was able to pull out their phone and pay with bitcoin? When was the last time you or anybody you know shopped at a *major* online retailer and paid in bitcoin?

Bitcoin is an amazing thing--I'm not down on it at all--but I don't buy all the talk about insurmountable network effects. Yes, Bitcoin is the granddaddy of all cryptocurrencies, the 800 pound gorilla, the cat's meow. But when it comes to the wider world, the lead is minimal.

Imagine Bitcoin and the top nine altcoins are people who are running a 26.2 mile marathon. If I put Bitcoin's starting line two inches ahead of everybody else, is it really going to matter? Will that slight advantage in the beginning really have any affect on the winner?

I agree. I think that the cryptocoin with the best usability will win out in the end, providing that the technology is solid and there is an initial push for mainstream adoption and education of users.

Agree usability and marketing are the key

Dash has addressed usability but has not paid enough attention to marketing

Without proper marketing we are at risk of being dashed by another crypto which has better marketing

Dash is not mature yet. Before Evolution update rolls out and all the kinks are resolved, development must take priority. We already have a very good part of the budget delegated to marketing.

Dash is not mature yet. Before Evolution update rolls out and all the kinks are resolved, development must take priority. We already have a very good part of the budget delegated to marketing.

I agree with Dandy. While development must take priority, 1500 DASH (about $100,000) went unused in last month's budget. That is an enormous amount of money that could have done great things to advance the project (through marketing, or in other ways).

Back