• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Automatic Wallet Backup Documentation

Is it really necessary to backup every time the wallet opens? There is a limit of one each minute, but wouldn't once per day be more reasonable?

The backups folder has an s. Bottom note might be better with this:
Note: when you change the data directory for Dash with the command-line parameter '-datadir=newfolder' the backups folder will be created in that directory.

Otherwise, I really like that the extension isn't a .dat and that the .xx is a constantly changing number. - Makes it harder for an attacker to find a wallet when it isn't a defined extension.

crowning
I noticed that the backup file timestamp (in filename) is not local (my computer) time.
I started wallet 9:30 PM and backup timestamp was 6:30 PM.
No biggie, just noticed this.
Win7.

crowning
I noticed that the backup file timestamp (in filename) is not local (my computer) time.
I started wallet 9:30 PM and backup timestamp was 6:30 PM.
No biggie, just noticed this.
Win7.

I think the internal (-wallet) time is GMT.

Do you live in a timezone with GMT+3?

I think the internal (-wallet) time is GMT.

Do you live in a timezone with GMT+3?
Yes, Finland, wintertime is UTC+2 and summertime is UTC+3.
And now is the summertime.

EDIT: corrected timezones.

Last edited by a moderator:
Am I missing something here? I put -createwalletbackups=10 in my dash.conf and there is still no backup folder after restarting he client several times. Win7 64

Am I missing something here? I put -createwalletbackups=10 in my dash.conf and there is still no backup folder after restarting he client several times. Win7 64

General information for ALL Dash-parameters:
  • when you specify a parameter as command-line-option, the "-" (minus) is mandatory, e.g. -createwalletbackups=7
  • if you want to do this via dash.conf you need to write createwalletbackups=7 (without(!) the minus)
  • most but not all command-lines parameters can be used in dash.conf....one obvious exception is the parameter for the name of the config-file itself
But you don't have to configure anything at all, 10 backups is the default setting.

You DO use wallet-version v0.11.1.23?

Thanks for pointing out the obvious goof, and yes I am using .23. EDIT: Ignore me, I'm an idiot. Downloaded .23 and then forgot to extract the files. I should sleep more often.

Back