• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Assisting my father with his wallet. Dash no longer there

lilswmj

Hello, my father bought Dash a couple months ago and we left it in his wallet on one of his PC profiles and I don't remember or see evidence of us backing up the wallet. That PC profile (one of the profiles you can choose when you log in) corrupted and he moved everything to a new profile including the dash folder. When we open up the wallet and let it sync, the dash is missing from his wallet.... How can we get this back? Thanks!

Update: It looks like the receiving address is different than the original wallet I had the dash is. So I usually don't have dash but everytime I shut down the wallet and open it again it opens the wallet with the different receiving address... How do I log into the old wallet to recover the old wallet? Thanks!

I can point you to a few things. Others with more skills will chip in sooner or later I'm sure.

You are referring to the DashCore wallet?

Did you Dad ever do an intentional back up of the DashCore wallet? If not, let's make that a regular habit starting today.

If he did not, the DashCore wallet makes automatic back ups. On a pc it would usually be stored something like this:

mainuser > AppData > Roaming > DashCore > backups

See if you can find anything like that on the old or new machine.

Let us know what you find out.

Update: It looks like the receiving address is different than the original wallet I had the dash is. So I usually don't have dash but everytime I shut down the wallet and open it again it opens the wallet with the different receiving address... How do I log into the old wallet to recover the old wallet? Thanks!

receiving address change as they are supposed to
"How do I log into the old wallet" old wallet / new wallet ? did u change the wallet.dat file in any way ? otherwise old/new are the same encryption password
the wallet is the wallet - that has nothing to do with receiving address - privately is what it is all about !
so u lost your password ?
(am totally confused by all of this)

Assuming this is Dash Core wallet, you need to look in the previous profile folder for any backups of the wallet. In the future, keep your backups in a physically separate location.

Wow. Thank you all for the responses!... I apologize for not explaining this well as I don't run the dash core wallet myself and trying to determine what my dad did lol. Ok yes the addresses seem to be different, but if that is normal because of privacy then cool... I was wondering if there was a way I was logging into a different wallet then my dad's original (with the dash in it). I found the backup wallet files from the old profile in the location Solarguy provided! I moved one of the backup files to this profile and in the dash core wallet folder next to the bin, include and lib folders. I opened the wallet again and let sync but the dash was not there :(.

And you let it connect to the internet and chug for a while and fully synchronize? Fully?

How much Dash are we talking about, in round figures?

And if you get the Dash Core wallet to load from back up, you should also have access to the tab "transactions" so you can see what, if anything, happened to the Dash.

It's fully connected... .054 dash was the amount... so yea like $30 usd... I still want to know what happened tho that's why I'm reaching out because he wants to buy more and I don't want to have him buy more before knowing the problem. In the transaction history there are no transactions of receiving the dash or him sending the dash... That is why I'm wondering if I am in a different wallet than his original... How can I confirm we are pulling from the correct .dat file?

Is this the only computer your dad may have used?
Anybody else have access to that computer?
How computer savvy is your dad?
Are you and your dad studying best practices if you're going to have significant amounts of cryptocurrency laying around?

Ok I fixed it... I have no idea what was happening with any of the old dash wallet, So I uninstalled and deleted everything dash from both profiles except the .dat automatic back up file and I left that on my desktop... I redownloaded and installed a brand new dash wallet and installed it. I replaced the backup .dat file from the new wallet with the old backup .dat file... let the blockchain fully sync and poof. There was my dad's dash.. I have no idea why this was not working before. But it's good now. Thanks again for assisting!!!

Glad it had a happy ending.

And you and dad are going to make 4 copies on thumb drives and stash them in various safe places, some of which are not on the premises, and mark on the calendar so you do regular back ups......right?

Sounds like you maybe forgot to rename the backup to wallet.dat when you copied it into the folder of the clean installation. Keep backups!

Thumb drive is a great idea! I backed it up and stored on his computer, but I will tell him to throw it on a thumb drive as well.

Thumb drive is a great idea! I backed it up and stored on his computer, but I will tell him to throw it on a thumb drive as well.
3 thumb drives, stored securely, and not all in his house. If the house burns down and he loses the computer AND the thumb drive, it's still gone.

Carry on, have fun, win!

Back