• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Are masternode operators allowed to sell their votes?

And, if so, how could they prove to the vote buyer that they got what they paid for?

Hi Voluntary,

In Dash, having a vote is not free it requires 1000 DASH collateral and thus your vote represents the interest of an invested individual. And yes you could sell your vote by selling your 1000 DASH and someone could buy a vote by paying for 1000 DASH.

In the end the collateral provides the game theory incentive to act in favor of the network. If a person that holds the 1000 DASH collateral votes to hurt the network then he would hurt himself as the rate of $/DASH would go down hurting his investment. If the third party you mention wants the masternode to vote in favor of something that is beneficial to the Dash network maybe they wont need to pay at all they can just ask and if the the third party wants the masternode to vote for something that would hurt the network then they would need to pay the node more than the dollar value of the collateral they are going to lose by attacking the network, in which case is better for the third party to just buy 1000 DASH and cast their own vote.

The protocol has no opinion regarding what motivates your vote. So, YES you are "allowed".
Could you prove your vote?... I suspect the answer is also yes.
The economics of actually doing it would be interesting to figure out.

And, if so, how could they prove to the vote buyer that they got what they paid for?
Allowed? Who's the Masternode Police? I guess you could. Proof would be declaring your MN VIN and cross referencing it to the vote records... Seems doable, and can't imagine who could stop it. But, kind of a dick thing to do...

Pay me to vote to hurt my own investment? Nope. Pay me to vote on soemthing in a way I was already going to vote because it's good for my investment?

That's like paying me to vote for Hillary... There's no such thing as that much money.

It's a theoretical thing, but in reality, the paradoxical feedback loop prevents it.

p

please don't

ok , as you wish. I will not explain it.

This post is poll.

If you are interested in the theory of selling and buying votes, and you want me to explain it, then give a dislike to this post.
If you are NOT interested in the theory of selling and buying votes, and you DONT want me to explain it, then give a like to this post.

I will respect the result of this poll.

Back