Welcome to the Dash Forum!

Please sign up to discuss the most innovative cryptocurrency!

Are Dash nodes exposed to this type of attack?

Discussion in 'Development Tech Discussion' started by alex9, Sep 11, 2017.

1. alex9

alex9 New Member

Sorry, I'm too lazy to do my own research about this right now, but want to know - Dash Core exposed to this attack?

http://www.trustnodes.com/2017/09/1...n-cash-developer-centralization-called-threat

This paragraph worries me a little:

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. alex9

alex9 New Member

Today I'm not so lazy ;)

Chris Jeffrey (JJ) on Breaking Bitcoin
    Starts from 2:30:25
    Demo - 4 mins
    Full presentation - 29 mins

I've made screenshots of his slides:
    https://imgur.com/a/w0ljK

Are we affected? @tungfa @UdjinM6 or any other knowledgeable?
    I think it's pretty serious.

• Like Like x 1
  3. UdjinM6

UdjinM6 Official Dash Dev
    Core Developer Moderator

Yes we are aware. But as it was mentioned in the video, to prepare an attack like that one would require millions of $$ spent in fees, so it's more of a theoretical one. With this in mind, we do not plan to address this in initial 12.2 release as this would require backporting way too much of bitcoin code OR writing a dirty patch which would cause issues for following bitcoin codebase later. And both options would require additional time for testing. We are already working on backporting bitcoin 0.14 including this fix (and excluding segwit). The plan is to close this attack vector by the end of this year i.e. in 12.2.1 or 12.3 release.

EDIT: with this being said, if you care about Dash network health in general and your income as a MNO in particular, make sure your MN have good specs, just in case.

4. demo

demo Active Member

Dash Address:
    XnpT2YQaYpyh7F9twM6EtDMn1TCDCEEgNX
    This shouldn’t be a problem, because Dash is a decentralized protocol where people should be using multiple different implementations. At least, that’s how Dash should be. I hope I opened some peoples’ eyes on that. Implementation centralization will kill Dash one day, just not today, since I don’t think this attack is reasonable to pull off in practice. But it serves as a good reminder — single points of failure suck.

5. alex9

alex9 New Member

Unfortunately not. Millions $ for Bitcoin. For Dash - less than $100'000 at current prices. To be more precisely - 240 DASH spent on fees (24'000 transactions x 100 kB x 0.0001 DASH/kB). Not so theoretical, sorry.