• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Any thoughts on CRAVE?

darkjack

Foundation Member
It will be interesting to see how this coin develops, whether it fills the darknet vacuum left by Darkcoins name change, or implodes as a scam. Anyone else watching this develop?

Agreed. Interesting ideas, and surprisingly quick development, but... There are a lot of buts...

Proof of Stake?! You're joking, right?

If there is nothing of value (processing power, electricity, money, real estate) "mining" the transactions and creating new coins, then it is no longer a cryptocurrency. You can't even call it a blockchain in the same sense that you call bitcoin a blockchain. You're trading around tokens of someone's centralized ledger. Do a search for the "nothing at stake" problem.

Stay FAR away from any coin that has no mining, unless you're just going to (dangerously) ride a short term "pump" (you can't even prove THAT is actually happening!) and get out quick before someone pulls the rug out from under it.

EDIT: all proof of stake coins are by nature, scams. It is not a matter of if, but when the creator chooses to steal every single externally-contributed BTC from unsuspecting, blindly trusting investors.

Last edited by a moderator:
Proof of Stake?! You're joking, right?

If there is nothing of value (processing power, electricity, money, real estate) "mining" the transactions and creating new coins, then it is no longer a cryptocurrency. You can't even call it a blockchain in the same sense that you call bitcoin a blockchain. You're trading around tokens of someone's centralized ledger. Do a search for the "nothing at stake" problem.

Stay FAR away from any coin that has no mining, unless you're just going to (dangerously) ride a short term "pump" (you can't even prove THAT is actually happening!) and get out quick before someone pulls the rug out from under it.

EDIT: all proof of stake coins are by nature, scams. It is not a matter of if, but when the creator chooses to steal every single externally-contributed BTC from unsuspecting, blindly trusting investors.

I'll need to do some research on the POS problem you're referring to. For now, I did pick up a few BTC worth, sold when it doubled to regain my principal, and am just letting the balance ride. The dev has some interesting ideas, in any case.

Any thoughts on CRAVE now after a month or so (aside from theoretical POS weaknesses)?

I volunteered to host the cravetalk.org community, but am very cautious. I cashed out my principal long ago, sold a chunk for profit last week, and am letting a masternode's worth ride to keep an eye on it. Again, seems like interesting ideas, but am not sure it's anything more than the devs personal experiment.

whether it fills the darknet vacuum left by Darkcoins name change

Why do you feel "Darkcoins->DASH" created "darknet vacuum"?

This name-change made DASH more attractive and usable for darknet also (so less space for "competitors")...

Best anonymous coin must be most popular with lots of legitimate ordinary users to be mixed (hided between). This is what rebranding is helping with.

That is why Bitcoin and DASH are better for darknet also.

Last edited by a moderator:
It will be interesting to see how this coin develops, whether it fills the darknet vacuum left by Darkcoins name change, or implodes as a scam. Anyone else watching this develop?
There is no vacuum you speak of. As a matter of fact, Bitcoin is still the leader in the Darknet. Dash is rebranding to distance it's perception that it's only utility was for nefarious purposes. Cash is used for nefarious purposes, but it's not called Dark Cash. Sure the anonymity Dark Send provides could in theory be used for lesser than legal purposes, but nobody can control that anyways.

The fact is the darknet really adopted Darkcoin on a mass to begin with and it's always been niche. The rebranding is breaking the paradigm that many perceived it only served a niche purpose, lesser than one like Bitcoin, which we know to be inferior in many respects except for in terms of adoption. Bitcoin reigns in the adoption of users for all uses from paying bills, buying goods, investing, speculating, and any other service (legal or not).

Dash is trying to give to public image of it being the superior choice or at least a complement to Bitcoin implying it's digital cash. Cash is quite anonymous.

For the sake of argument, let's say you want to buy something personal that you may not be comfortable having records of what you purchased. I feel it's perfectly reasonable to feel and desire anonymity for some transactions. What if you happened to have a fetish you rather keep secret from others because of personal embarrassment or simply you don't like the idea of a nanny state watching your every move.

Hell what if you live in a country that limits free speech and you desire to pay for a VPN without having it on your credit history?

No vacuum was created, but instead only new horizons set. All the features loved by those seeking anonymity are still present.

I think you both misunderstand me. I think the direction Dash has taken is a very good one, and I've been all for it. It's no secret that many others are upset with the name change and the new direction Dash has taken. CRAVE supposedly fills that gap.

I'm not promoting CRAVE, simply asking what others think about it.

I think you both misunderstand me. I think the direction Dash has taken is a very good one, and I've been all for it. It's no secret that many others are upset with the name change and the new direction Dash has taken. CRAVE supposedly fills that gap.

If I understand, Dash is not moving from point "A" to point "B", leaving gap in "A"...
Dash is expanding from point "A" to points "A", "B", "C", "D", "F", ... without new gaps...
It has not about just naming - it is about general strategy and so on... ("darkcoin"-name was just an obstacle for this strategy)

So what is about "lovers of shadow-names"... I don't think it is important group of "linguistic investors" to care about them... IMHO

- First coin with native i2p network
apparently. Since they used huge chunks of Dash's code perhaps we should make use of some of their work?

Between the POS rewards and MN rewards I suspect their emission is fairly high and general POS PnD feel I'd be very cautious of this one.

- First coin with native i2p network
apparently. Since they used huge chunks of Dash's code perhaps we should make use of some of their work?

Between the POS rewards and MN rewards I suspect their emission is fairly high and general POS PnD feel I'd be very cautious of this one.
It's 2 year old implementation by one of the guy from ru community on btct
https://github.com/VirtualDestructor/bitcoin-qt-i2p

The "dev" did nothing so far but a copy/paste of everything he can found... It could be quite useful though to have all code we might need later in one place :)

Back