• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Another recovery question

scott.marshall

Late last November, I sent a small amount of Dash from Bittrex to my Dashcore wallet. I used a Dash address the wallet generated. However, I sent it before the wallet had finished syncing.
I can see the address and txnid in the Bittrex account.
I can see the txn as confirmed in Blockcypher, and can see the address it was sent to, which matches the Bittrex account.

When it didn't show in the wallet, I wasn't concerned as it hadn't synched. However, now I have got round to synching, the balance isn't showing up.
More concerning, this address isn't showing up as a receiving address in my Dashcore wallet.
I have the backups from a week after the txn date.

Is there anything I can do to recover these ?

Hi Scott, thanks for providing this level of detail in your question. Sending before sync is complete shouldn't affect your ability to receive Dash.

Let's first check whether the private key to the address exists in your wallet. In Dash Core, go to Tools > Debug console and type:

Code:
validateaddress <your_receive_address>

You will see output similar to the following:

Code:
{
  "isvalid": true,
  "address": "XjZRxjReLjq8gj4J895tnrdfjkU16tCydG",
  "scriptPubKey": "76a91461524b3467ae32f8c5d61f92fe86b6e63abe323588ac",
  "ismine": false,
  "iswatchonly": false,
  "isscript": false
}

Check the "ismine" section - if this is "true" then you control this address and should go to Wallet repair > Rescan. If this is "false", you have somehow gotten your wallet files mixed up. Go to Tools > Show automatic backups (or wherever you kept your backups) and find the file you think is correct. Copy this to the %APPDATA%/DashCore folder (if under Windows) and rename it to wallet.dat, renaming the existing wallet.dat file if you want to keep it. Then restart Dash Core, Rescan if necessary, run validateaddress to check if the key exists in this wallet file, etc. until you find the right wallet.

Please post back with your results :) Good luck!

Firstly, thanks for the prompt and excellent response. I worked through the steps, but the wallet address was always ismine:false.

Then, I remembered I had installed the mobile wallet as well, so opened the app. I checked, the amount was there, the addresses matched, the mistake was mine all along. At least I learned more about the wallet and using Dash.

Really sorry to bother you, and thanks again.

No worries - thanks for asking the question in a public forum! This way we all learn ;)

Back