• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

An Idea for a New Type of Forum

nmarley

Administrator
Dash Core Group
It's been brought to my attention that Dashtalk has become a lot less valuable place to spend time lately due to certain members criticizing... well, mostly everything, and being generally unhelpful.

I've even thought so myself and realized that I've been avoiding Dashtalk for the past month or so, when previously I was excited to read new posts and threads on here.

So here's an idea that I had for a productive forum:

You know how in Bitcoin and Dash, spam/dust transactions are avoided by requiring a small fee, small enough that anyone can pay it, but large enough to deter spammers and prevent DOS attacks?

What if there were a forum which did the same -- so that instead of just allowing anyone to register and start spewing out posts, the posts actually cost money? Not a lot, just like 50 cents or something to start a new thread, and smaller amounts, a few cents, to reply.

I think people would have incentive to make their posts count for something, instead of just regurgitating whatever comes to mind immediately without thinking things through.

Trolls would be deterred, or really incentivised. People who have nothing better to do than sit around the house and post on forums all day could still do so, but at a price.

Also, accounts could have a "usefulness" rating attached to them, and the community votes per post (like Reddit up/down votes), such that a user with tons of "this is really useful!" votes would eventually pay less per post, and accounts with lots of "this guy is a troll" -type votes would have to pay more to continue posting.

So in that case, why wouldn't the "troll" just create a new account? Well, account age and number of posts could be considered also in the new system, such as restrictions on new accounts and/or a nominal fee could even be charged for account creation. In order to prevent new user accounts created all the time to get around these "troll protection" measures.

And of course direct tipping in Dash could be implemented, in case some forum user really just knocks it out of the park with a great idea they post, or something like that. Productivity is rewarded in this system, and if people are producing valuable contributions, then those contributions are rewarded.

Fees collected could be partitioned out to those who run the forum infrastructure and admin/mod the forums, with those providing the most value getting the highest % of the payout, on a weekly or monthly basis.

I kinda something like this kinda goes in line with a lot of the principles on which Dash is based (e.g. incentivizing producers, yet being open to everyone to participate).

Anyone else have ideas/feedback on something like this?

Interesting, watching. I'd seen something similar suggested before on BCT and was a little opposed to it ("only the rich get to air their views") but it makes a lot of sense, forums aren't free to run and it would be fair to run on a none-profit basis. I'd wondered about a deposit on BCT as a means of keeping the trolls down, earn a ban and you've lost your deposit kind of thing but that's just adding unnessasary complication for Dash at the mo.

I don't see the problem on these forums everyone seems to think there is one. I guess the ignore button doesn't work? Everyone is free to create forums and utilize them. There are many communities to choose from. If someone doesn't like it here I strongly encourage them to create a community they do like.

This idea here in nmarleys post is a good place to start. Good luck with this. I would never pay to post.

I can see your intention - but not sure it will work.
Trolls always have more time, forum accounts, and in some cases money to fulfill their mission...

So such initiative may not stop trolls but will harass some regular users... :(

And profesional troll will easily cheat such rating system:
"Let's put Dash to BTC-E!"
"Let's do PR 100 times cheaper!"
"Let's publish 100 new articles about DASH!"
"Let's make DASH the best crypto!"

and they will easily collect hundreds of likes. :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Lol. Good point jpr.

The idea is intesresting, but I don't think it can be applied, it can divide even more and look unfair.
We need free speach.

I can see your intention - but not sure it will work.
Trolls always have more time, forum accounts, and in some cases money to fulfill their mission...

So such initiative may not stop trolls but will harass some regular users... :(

And profesional troll will easily cheat such rating system:
"Let's put Dash to BTC-E!"
"Let's do PR 100 times cheaper!"
"Let's publish 100 new articles about DASH!"
"Let's make DASH the best crypto!"

and they will easily collect hundreds of likes. :wink:

You're obviously referring to me because I was the one who suggested BTC-E and cheaper Terpin alternatives.

Who got you this stupid idea into your head that I am a professional troll? I know folks like David paddled such retarded conspiracy theories but I thought this community was smarter than that. Just because I'm against a super troll rip off artist like Terpin means I'm a professional troll, really?

The obvious solution is: someone ask a technical question and flare is payed by that someone for his answer :grin:

There was something like that back in the GLBSE days of Bitcoin, something like stackexchange that paid a bounty to the top answer. Worked very well while it was around, it didn't take off but might of if it had been around longer. It was a bit too general but it could work really well with something specific like Dash related questions and could build up into a sort of wiki.

Can you imagine someone ask technical questions and flare has to pay to answer? :D

Yeah!! Let him pay ;) flare :)

The users with up votes enough would pay the lowest fee possible.

I could accept that.....

My first knee jerk reaction was "that would kill the forum, I'd never post!" but then I kept reading, and it's a rather interesting concept!

My first knee jerk reaction was "that would kill the forum, I'd never post!" but then I kept reading, and it's a rather interesting concept!

This forum was more or less deserted not long ago safe for some technical mining related talk and how to set up nodes. What's wrong with having a place that's alive and kicking? Wanna have a cemetery of dead boring consensus all the time?

The only reason some came up with this idea was because they can't handle opposing views. Someone needs to mature a bit and accept it's perfectly normal for others to have divergent points of view. It's what leads to progress.

Other forums pay members to post ffs.

No it's not this, it's not having opposing views.
Debate, diferent thinking is good.

Ranting all day long saying : you should do this, or that you should not do this or that and make nothing, is not constructive!

No it's not this, it's not having opposing views.
Debate, diferent thinking is good.

Ranting all day long saying : you should do this, or this you should not do this or this and make nothing is not constructive!

Show me what have you done so far that has been constructive. I can show you a lots of areas where I have been pretty constructive. Do you want to make a list and compare? What have you done for the project so far instead of lobbying with some other guy on the official slack channel to have me and other members banned? It's funny how this banning push is coming from forum members that are very much in support of Transform PR. Same member started a let's ban some guy thread not long ago and he is now trying the same thing.

All your posting history is very much arid without much to show for. If we were to judge on a like/post ratio, I'd say I've been more constructive than you on this metric alone.

Ok maybe on forum you win, as you are bitching here all day long.
Sorry but once again this discution is not very constructive, so I'll not continue here, some things to do in real world.

What about real life? This count?
20151204_110941.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Show me what have you done so far that has been constructive. I can show you a lots of areas where I have been pretty constructive. Do you want to make a list and compare? What have you done for the project so far instead of lobbying with some other guy on the official slack channel to have me and other members banned? It's funny how this banning push is coming from forum members that are very much in support of Transform PR. Same member started a let's ban some guy thread not long ago and he is now trying the same thing.

All your posting history is very much arid without much to show for. If we were to judge on a like/post ratio, I'd say I've been more constructive than you on this metric alone.
InTheWoods, if you re-read your comment here and the one above where you started "You're obviously referring to me because I was the one who suggested BTC-E and cheaper Terpin alternatives." are examples of how your voice is coming across. It's very confrontational, and maybe this is being brought over from another thread, but I didn't see him referring to BTCe or Terpin or anything about you being a troll. Please try to refrain from continuing these ongoing fights over God knows what. Nobody minds hearing opposing views, but if you can't do the same (listen to other's opposing views nicely, productively and maturely) then we do have a problem because there are many differing points of views here, and we need to be polite to each other.

There are people here from homogeneous societies, people who were brought up on capitalism, or communism, people from Muslim ruled countries, and even from Christian and Jewish ruled countries, people from Dictatorships to Democracies and everything in between. This is a world wide forum, and everyone has their prejudices because that's the way people are. It's when we can step outside those built-in, hard wired biases and listen politely and constructively, then discuss the pros and cons, that we can actually extract value and wisdom from these differing points of view.

But beating a dead horse, or using ad hominems constantly (example: you are ignorant not to agree with me) just sours the forum and kills creativity as well as productivity.

And it's not the same as camosoul , because 1. he's always ranting against the undefined "they" or "stupid people" not actual members or people, and 2. because his rants are over the top funny with a theme. It makes a big difference to me. I think he's hilarious, some don't like his crudeness.

So ultimately, if you can't control yourself, even if you have Asperger's syndrome, and you're so disruptive to the community, as TheDashGuy has been as well, something has to be done about it. I'd rather you got that chip off your shoulder and settle down, stop being so angry, accept that people will disagree with you, and re-join the community in a productive way. This nonsense has gone on far too long. It's just ugly. Thanks if you've read this, thank you so very much if you can actually consider what I'm trying to say.

Ok maybe at forum you win, as you are bitching here all day long.
Sorry but once again this discution is not very constructive, so I'll no continue here, some things to do in real world.

What about real life? This count?
View attachment 2203

Where is this? Looks awesome, another convention? Are you in Acapulco? Did you guys get a table? Cool!!! Should have brought down the Dash n Drink machine, LOL (Florida is only er... ~2500 miles via car, no?

Oh duh, LOL, I see now, the LABC :D

The obvious solution is: someone ask a technical question and flare is payed by that someone for his answer :grin:

That's the gist, right there. The point is that productive people actually get rewarded for their contributions, whereas detractors get penalized. So instead of paying to detract from an idea or project, they'll just leave (and hopefully find something more productive to do with their time).

Say, the person who asks a technical question could even (but not required) add an optional bounty for the answer. In that case, flare would be incentivised to answer. The answers could then be judged by the asker, and the bounty given to the best answer, or split among them, or even perhaps doubled if, for instance, the question had two people answer with equally good perspectives on a technical issue (and the poster felt like doubling -- obviously his/her call). Nothing's set in stone, this is honestly just an idea right now.

The point is that the productive are rewarded and the non-productive are not. Regarding free speech: it would still be equal for all, everyone would start out on equal footing, and costs would be negligible, like transaction fees are. Remember, servers cost money to run. Even the guys who host and run dashtalk have to pay costs. Nothing is truly ever "free". There's always a cost somewhere.

Opposing viewpoints are good and perfectly able to exist in this (theoretical) system — if enough of the forum users are split on a particular issue or post, then the vote distribution would naturally balance out.

Back