• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Amazon Spot Instances

Propulsion

The buck stops here.
Just a heads up to everyone, my Amazon Spot Instance was terminated without any warning from them. In fact, looking at the amazon console, I'm unable to find any information of it ever existing!

The ip was 54.213.240.24
With adress XgMAEMH6CrdFUNJ1vjFkjUY59dcWXhbdHf

chaeplin can you tell me the last time it was seen from any of your logs? I'd appreciate it.

Just goes to show, I should have enabled an email for the daemon itself. (Then again, if it was terminated, it would of never been able to send the email.)

Should Amazon be avoided if possible for a new masternode setup ? Might darksend violate some TOS ? Is Vultr is a better choice at this point ?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure. I do like amazon because of the web console. It makes it really fool proof for security.
Plus, if you have more than one MN, it is possible to clone the original image.
Amazon really does have an outstanding web interface!

Finally, you can always pay for a non spot instance to avoid the above problem.

You do know what a spot instance is right? They are a way to bid on unused capacity, the second someone bids higher than you, your instance is terminated.

You absolutely do NOT want to use spot instances for anything that needs to stay running. They are used for short lived processes that can be programmatically spun up and down.

You want to use a regular on demand instance, NOT a spot instance.

And no, it is not against the AWS TOS.

nj47 Yeah. Never had it happen before though. Really expected at least an email.
Nope. I use them quite extensively in a project, and they are not made to last. However if you use them correctly, you can save a lot of money.

For instance, if your instance is terminated before the hour is up, you don't pay. So any CPU intensive tasks instead of my main app handling itself, I put into a queue, and spin up a spot instance for it. However I set the price as low as possible and hope it get terminated before the hour is up.

Back