• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Abolish Darksend & Save Dash

Proteus

I think that this community definitely understands the power of a name and the power of perception. So I can only imagine that this has been addressed before (probably around the time of changing names).

Darksend is an amazing feature and natural progression in this technology and cryptocurrencies as whole. However, we need to think more about the user experience and user perception. We need to get DASH to the point that a new user doesn't need a research paper to have a clue of what this function might do. Not only does the word Darksend not communicate it's function, but it immediately is given a criminal annotation to anyone who has heard the word "Darknet" or "Dark Markets" more than once or twice. While this function may be attractive to those who frequent "Dark" related content, they are only a small fraction of those who would benefit from this and without the "general users" the function becomes less and less effective for the lets say "bad actors" attempting to use this perfectly lawful function for less than lawful means.

It makes me think of TOR honestly. The US Navy released TOR publicly because without a mass of additional users the protocol is not near effective enough, and would basically provide US enemies with an even easier way to isolate their communications. This is exactly what's happening with Dash. Imagine if the Navy released TOR as "US Operative Safe Transfer Protocol" instead of "The Onion Router". How many parties attempting to browse anonymously would trust or adopt this protocol? Substantially less and it's debatable if TOR would have ever even gained traction. Onion Router also much better explains it's function, rather than it's original intended purpose (which as we see now is NOT its primary use). Darksend pretty much solely relates to it's original intended use not what it's actually doing.

Beyond the word "Dark", "Send" is also incredibly misleading. Imagine you receive your first dash deposit, you are now ready to purchase your first product/service and when using Darksend (which again is a primary function of Dash) it takes 12 hours to send your funds lol "This thing is fucking broken, fuck this I'm buying bitcoin" as we know most crypto nerds have such a colorful vocabulary ;)

It makes much more sense to make it more clearly defined while more attractive to a broader audience. i.e. "Anonymize Funds" for the mixxing process & "Send from Anonymous Pool" checkbox for the actual sending of mixed coins. This is really a very short/generic version of my thoughts on this, but before I type a 12 page proposal I'll get some initial feedback lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree about Darksend, disagree about anything that involves the word "anonymous". That is also a generally negatively viewed term, from my dealings on Twitter.

I would welcome any other suggestions, such as "Create Digital Cash". Then, you could have a Dash balance, and a Digital Cash balance. Just an idea.

Ever since rebranding to Dash, I've thought that we didn't take it far enough. Why get rid of "Dark" in our name and keep "Dark" in one of our core technologies? You are correct on the "send" part too...it's always been a misnomer.

I don't know what to call it, but Evan since he is working on making it instant in the next release, so maybe there will be a rebranding as part of that? I'm honestly wondering this, actually: If v13 Darksend will be instant, will it just be incorporated automatically by default? So there wouldn't be any anonymizing of funds at all...all transfers would be automatically and instantaneously anonymized?

I'm down with this: Create Digital Cash". Then, you could have a Dash balance, and a Digital Cash balance.

or a variation

as regards it taking 12 hours to mix, as Evan discussed, there could be liquidity providers in the future that will constantly be mixing coins and this will speed things up considerably.

as regards it taking 12 hours to mix, as Evan discussed, there could be liquidity providers in the future that will constantly be mixing coins and this will speed things up considerably.
Well if it is true that the mixxing process will be passive and automatically enabled in v13, that's all the liquidity we could need. Again, I haven't kept up to date and didn't know that was "in the works" prior to posting.

Well if it is true that the mixxing process will be passive and automatically enabled in v13, that's all the liquidity we could need. Again, I haven't kept up to date and didn't know that was "in the works" prior to posting.
Yer, its hard to keep up, but think that was mentioned as well, if everyone was mixing it would be super quick. In testnet it was about 2 Dash per minute and there were only a few of us, main net should be much quicker, but there is the limiting confirmation times of course.

Yer, its hard to keep up, but think that was mentioned as well, if everyone was mixing it would be super quick. In testnet it was about 2 Dash per minute and there were only a few of us, main net should be much quicker, but there is the limiting confirmation times of course.

Evan has said the new system is instant and that the existing system will be deprecated. So I'm assuming he found a revolutionary new way to do "mixing" that doesn't require mixing...because how could mixing ever be instant? No clue how, but it will be interesting to find out!

Evan has said the new system is instant and that the existing system will be deprecated. So I'm assuming he found a revolutionary new way to do "mixing" that doesn't require mixing...because how could mixing ever be instant? No clue how, but it will be interesting to find out!

Wow, I missed that one. Do you know when Evan said that and do you have a link to it?

Back