• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

A timely warning (or how I lost my wallet).

pbleak

This is just a reminder to everyone to look after their wallets when backing up. After a mild computer crash I plugged in my backup wallet into the latest DRK wallet only to find it revealed an old wallet and my current one seems to have disappeared into the ether. Not so bad for someone like me with not so much coin, but would have been hell with like a 100 on it.

"Dislike"
aiahh sorry man !

i am not sure i understand how this happened
but sure sucks !
:cool:

I think it was a personal mix-up. Basically must have moved one back up somewhere and I cannot locate it, but seemed to have kept the older one. But there was only 5-10DRK on it so no major loss but make me think a post to remind people may be in order if they are moving larger amounts. It's pretty ack!

shit
happened to me once
drove me nutz !!!

OUCH! So sorry to hear this.

Not knowing the exact cause it is difficult to say, but every time I hear a story like this it reemphasizes to me the need for a BTC Armory-type wallet for DRK. It seems almost like magic to me (ref. Aurthur C. Clark) that a paper backup made when first creating the wallet, is capable of recovering all subsequent (future) transactions ever made by that wallet! Not to mention its ability to keep coins in cold storage while still monitoring deposits to the wallet in real time, and integrated multisig transactions and lock boxes.

Would somebody with real Python skills PLEASE pursue this!!! The developer seems very supportive, and has even provided developer resources for others to use: https://bitcoinarmory.com/ All this is well over my head, but surely somebody has the requisite skills

From their FAQ:
Do You Have Plans To Support Alternative Coins And Other Virtual Currencies?
Armory developers are working non-stop on advanced bitcoin features to include multi-signature transactions, lite versions, offline wallet options, and even mobile integration. Our primary focus is on building a foundation that supports the growing needs of our user base. Although we are not working specifically on alternative currency implementation at this time, we're aware of the need, and we may entertain the idea in the future.

Yep, or even an Ethereum type one. I dislike being limited to the current wallet. Too many times I've read about wallet mess-ups, etc. And options are never bad!

Also I should note that in updating wallets it seems wisest to maybe send your coin to an exchange and then when your wallet starts up send them back.

get your privkey . Also I am using multiple PCs for my wallet. I imported all my privkeys into onesafe wallet on a PC not used much. I also have anotherone in virtual machine. Even If I need to format my PC, my virtual machine files saved somewhere else. I can install virtualbox and import my virtual machine. And there it is my wallet. Not to forget, I have 3 USB flash drive and backup in my google drive and One drive. All cloud options have 2way authentication.

Oh yep I am normally quite good at backups, etc. In this case a simple bit of confusion seems to have been at play (at some point renaming the wrong wallet maybe). It can be super simple to lose coins.

Back