• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

A plead to the Darkcoin Devs regarding Masternodes!

yidakee

Foundation Member
Hey Evan and Kyke !! (and soon, many more loons!)

This is a personal plead. I will try NOT to tl;dr you guys... but imagine the planet for one second please...

In the long future of Masternodes and DRK, real pro's will ALWAYS be able to tackle the ins and outs of good linux higiene ... monitor servers, fail2ban, backends, .onion, VPS through VPN's, cronjobs, masked IP's, dd-wrt routers, keyloggers, ports and ip-tables, disable root login, distributed brute-force attacks, compiling, dependancies, hardening servers, DDoS... you get the gist.

On the other side of the scale, 90% of whoever is reading will have not understood the previous sentence. This constitutes a huge DRK investment set-back.

I do because I was brought up on Acorn Archimedes (yeah Evan, beat that, I bet you're gonna google it :tongue:!) ZX Spectrum, Commodore 64, Amiga 2000 (yup, not the 500!) , IBM 286, 386, 486, Pentium etc etc ... and never payed for a Windows license in my lifetime. Heck, these past few years I've been running Hackintoshes since OSx Tiger. I'm that of a non-pro geek! wooow much wisdom.... but... a total linux noob, just because when it appeared I never encountered a need for it, and always lusted for it, seriously... Soooooo and sooooo many people out there are the same situation.

We are the 25-55 year old 99% male demographic. Tech savvy, money holders, and very close to higher capital. I chose to become a musician instead of IT. Much cooler, more beer, and loads of chicks, constantly broke.

Testnet local-cold / remote was brainless. No matter how new, hard, weird and uncomfortable - its NOT rocket science (special mention to chaeplin's tutorials to kickstart my linux adventure ). I have now 5 local VM's, 2 VPS locked and loaded (with zero DRK there), I've got DRKs for MN=2+"1"+(if magic=5) - all offline right now - (if you catch my investment portfolio play of math) - ... that are fully operational and I'm quite comfortable with quickly updating and managing them... took me a good full month to get it all in my brain, thanks to being unemployed in a f*cked up southern european country with minimum monthly wage equivalent to about 480 USD.

1 month ago, I my self would not understand this previous paragraphs and would be completely freaked out to run a MN - specially after 1 reported case of an irresponsible guys setting up a weak node and getting jacked (apparently!!), and the fact that just 1 node today costs around 10k USD.

Even with knowing that I have closed all ports, disabled root, SSH certificate, fail2ban.. 32+ freak stringed passwords, clear bash history, backup-ed wallets, etc... I still KNOW I may be missing something, now or in the future, and a 0,00001% of losing my coins. It is simply too much of a risk for me, in my economy, with my economies, and even relatives and friend's funds.

Make local-cold / remote active MN's also a priority please! The price of DRK will go bananas. Anyone could try it with zero risk. Some might get it working, some might not. But there certainly would be a MASSIVE amount of people trying it just for the sake of it. Letting 1000 DRK sitting on a server would do quite the opposite. The ONLY problem is the health of a forking. That seems to have been taken care of.

Having knowledge that coins are safe is the recipe for HODL, which is the building block of PoS. In this scenario, I see people holding on to 1k DRK for months on end, just for the sake of getting a node up and running! Can you see my vision here? Gzillions os nodes could pop up, without fear of loosing coins. Even if badly secured and easily DDoS'ed, the network would not suffer like it did through the fork, IMHO, a clear intentional attack.

Even if 90% of crappy-server operators would not, say, be attempt to news and not do a mandatory update - just code a way to shut them off, I imagine its easy enough. Once earnings stop appearing, they'll sure to update.

Otherwise, only real truly network/linux/coding gurus (good or bad) + serious money (good or bad) = Masternode operators.
Again, IMHO, I believe the strength of Darkcoin goes in hand-in-hand with Metcalfe's law.

So here is my plead... fix local+cold/remote setup, and implement an out-of-current-version-daemon-block to the network.
Don't know if coding this is hard or a compromise of sorts, I'm just throwing it out there for your consideration.

Now get back to coding, you slackers!! :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back