• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

12.1 Testnet Testing Phase Two Ignition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Holding on to any old data is meaningless. You may as well apply the metrics of running a full node of a totally different coin.

Just to clarify; this refers to the data on memory consumption and not the data in ~/.dash/ vs ~/.dashcore/

From what I understand you may very well keed the blockchain files from 12.0. No need to re-download the whole thing. Considering how many will update in a short period of time we might want 12.1 automatically copy from ~/.dash/ when first started to not cause havoc?

@qwizzie Related to your third question, https://www.dash.org/forum/threads/details-on-the-feb-5th-update.12874/

There will be a grace period where both 12.0 and 12.1 are allowed. Maximizing masternode payment is a bit tricky. On one hand you want to upgrade when the majority of the miners shift from 12.0 to 12.1. But you also need to consider the masternodes' place in the queue.
All in all there is not a huge difference in payout, so just relax and do it when it suits you best :) (as long as it's within a few days)

@eduffield has said there will be a significant financial incentive to upgrading MNs ASAP.

Just to clarify; this refers to the data on memory consumption and not the data in ~/.dash/ vs ~/.dashcore/

From what I understand you may very well keed the blockchain files from 12.0. No need to re-download the whole thing. Considering how many will update in a short period of time we might want 12.1 automatically copy from ~/.dash/ when first started to not cause havoc?
I was referring to statistical data gathered on resource usage.

@eduffield has said there will be a significant financial incentive to upgrading MNs ASAP.

Yup. Maybe if you own a huge amount of MNs. We can be pretty sure there will be a few hundred MNs that will upgrade within an hour. In one hour there are only about 24 blocks. So unless you have a significant portion of those early upgraders, you are not likely to get that many extra payments.

And that's with the assumption that all miners will upgrade immediately. They won't. And miners on 12.0 will pay MNs on 12.0. So, that's why I previously said that one should only upgrade after a majority of the miners do. And of course you need to consider your place in the payment queue.

I'll pass on the recommendation moocowmoo gave me in my thread; Hold of your upgrade if your node is in the front of the payment queue, but a day or two tops. Otherwise upgrade asap.

Yup. Maybe if you own a huge amount of MNs. We can be pretty sure there will be a few hundred MNs that will upgrade within an hour. In one hour there are only about 24 blocks. So unless you have a significant portion of those early upgraders, you are not likely to get that many extra payments.

And that's with the assumption that all miners will upgrade immediately. They won't. And miners on 12.0 will pay MNs on 12.0. So, that's why I previously said that one should only upgrade after a majority of the miners do. And of course you need to consider your place in the payment queue.

I'll pass on the recommendation moocowmoo gave me in my thread; Hold of your upgrade if your node is in the front of the payment queue, but a day or two tops. Otherwise upgrade asap.

OK, if you say so. I know that Evan said something completely different, but maybe that's changed. Cheers!

Dedicated tMN and tLP updated to v0.12.1.0-0ecc7c6. Synced nmarley sentinel and reindexed both nodes. Should have a little time to test more tomorrow. Quite a few fixes in the pipeline I see. Are we still on schedule for mainnet launch?

I have three questions with regards to v12.1 on mainnet per 5 Feb :

1 : with the new path (user/dashcore/etc) in update 12.1 how do we avoid users downloading the whole blockchain again (ending up having duplicate blockchains) and possibly getting into trouble with limited diskspace ?
2 : there is some talk about 1000 MB RAM being minimal requirements for update 12.1 ? I have currently no problems with running 756MB RAM on my masternodes, will that change with update 12.1 ?
because frankly i was planning to upgrade my VPS package on a much later date (around the Evolution update).
3 : how fast do we need to upgrade our masternodes version to 12.1 ? Say for example one of our masternodes could be paid in two days (after 5 feb), is it okay to wait for those two days and then upgrade ?
Is there a certain "grace" time period ?

1. We should be able to move the blocks and chainstate folders to .dashcore from .dash. Nothing else takes that long to update really, and those other things might change or something, so that's what I'm going to do. Hopefully it will go smoothly. At worst, we'll have to -reindex, but with everyone doing that at the same time, it'll probably be a pain in the arse.

2. Because 12.1 also runs sentinel, it might cause you troubles if you have less than 1GB but it might take a while and/or a sudden increase of need which happens once in a while. I've increased all my servers to 1GB with 2GB swap to be sure they'll run smoothly, but that's up to you :) If you want to see if you drop off the network, and can respond pretty fast, or don't care about a little loss, that's a fine way to go as well. It's just that you increase the possibility of running out of ram and drop off the network, losing your spot in the queue. The increase cost me $5 a month, a lost payment would cost me around $65 at current price, so I don't want to take a chance. Frankly, I'm worried I'm going too low with 1GB because of this, but I figure I'll watch my RAM usage and upgrade when it starts hitting higher highs. If that's next week or in a year, it can be done pretty quickly :D

3. I would let my MN go through payout if it's in line within a day or two, but other than that, the sooner we upgrade the MN network, the sooner we can switch the enforcement on. You know miners are going to keep the whole reward to themselves and until we upgrade and get enforecement back on, we're likely to get nothing. I don't trust that new etherium project that mines Dash in Costa Rica, or wherever they are, Avalon or something? So I'm only going to wait if it looks like one of my MNs is imminently due for a payout :)

I think the real incentive is to get enforcement on ASAP so the miners can't keep all the rewards, which is what happens every time we spork and enforcement goes off.

I don't know if it's just that nobody is mixing, but my wallet of yesterday's build (Feb 3) wasn't mixing?? Updating now :)

I've updated, and I keep getting timed out, so maybe nobody is mixing??

Last edited:
In preparation for tomorrows event I made a quick test and started the new Windows wallet on mainnet to see if the blockchain syncs correctly. This worked.
Then I checked if my masternode.conf would work unchanged for 12.1. But after starting the wallet, I got this error:
"Error reading masternode configuration file: Invalid Port detected in masternode.conf ..... (must be 9999 for mainnet)"
Needless to say that I didn't change anything in my working masternode.conf from 12.0. It seems to reject port 9999.

Pinging @UdjinM6 @flare to check this.

Last edited:
Has there been any documentation made on the 12.1 upgrade/Sentinel installation process for people who have not read, and wouldn't understand, this thread?

We know full well, just like every other time, there's going to be a majority of people who have no idea what's going, never even heard of Sentinel, didn't know that there was a testnet, or that any upgrade was happening, etc...

And, of course, the discovery and frantic updates that come from problems found that could not be detected in the testnet environment...

Has there been any documentation made on the 12.1 upgrade/Sentinel installation process for people who have not read, and wouldn't understand, this thread?

We know full well, just like every other time, there's going to be a majority of people who have no idea what's going, never even heard of Sentinel, didn't know that there was a testnet, or that any upgrade was happening, etc...

And, of course, the discovery and frantic updates that come from problems found that could not be detected in the testnet environment...

https://dashpay.atlassian.net/wiki/display/DOC/Masternode+Update

This is currently work in progress, but it should have clear instructions later on.
The recommended specs are interesting, i'm glad i did that server hardware upgrade.

In preparation for tomorrows event I made a quick test and started the new Windows wallet on mainnet to see if the blockchain syncs correctly. This worked.
Then I checked if my masternode.conf would work unchanged for 12.1. But after starting the wallet, I got this error:
"Error reading masternode configuration file: Invalid Port detected in masternode.conf ..... (must be 9999 for mainnet)"
Needless to say that I didn't change anything in my working masternode.conf from 12.0. It seems to reject port 9999.

Pinging @UdjinM6 @flare to check this.

Yep, confirmed - looking into it.

And mentioned in one of the slack channels...

Testing is complete for the Red Hat'ification of Dash that I have been working on for quite some time. If you are adventuresome, I have written a small pile of documentation, but if you just want to get going, here's an example of getting started with the simple wallet use case...

1. Crank up a Fedora Linux 25 instance (they make live ISOs that are trivial to install)
  2. Login and open up a terminal... I'm assuming you gave yourself admin privileges in the install wizard...
  3. Type this...

Code:
cd /etc/yum.repos.d/
sudo curl -O  https://raw.githubusercontent.com/taw00/dashcore-rpm/master/dashcore-fedora.repo
cd -
sudo dnf install -y dashcore-client

If you wanna get super fancy, update the whole operating system and reboot..
Code:
sudo dnf upgrade -y
sudo reboot # to be all fresh and stuff

Then find the Dash icon in your menus click on it and done

But what's different about all this?

1. If you install dashcore-server instead, it is all prepped to operate as a systemd managed service like a real daemon should be. Prepped for future hardening with SELinux and other fancy things...
  2. All your default logs are rotated by the operating system...
  3. Firewall rules and fail2ban settings are explained...
  4. Sentinel also logs to a sensible log-rotated log file and the only configuration needed is a crontab edit.
  5. dashd and Sentinel run as a system user dashcore instead of a normal user (if you want)
  6. As updates are published... you are alerted that an update is available and you can automatically trigger them at your convenience with a one-liner update and restart of the service
  7. Need to update the kernel and reboot (a common thing)? No problem, systemd shuts down the service and restarts it upon boot.
  8. Advanced admins can figure out how to spin up multiple systemd managed dashd instances pretty easily (I have an RFE in for Sentinel to make it easier to configure though)
  9. I even added OS menu icons and desktop stuff ... to include high-contrast icons to blend in nicely with the desktop experience and for those who have difficulty seeing

I'm sure I am forgetting something. Anyway... It's solid. It works. It's "right". It's added "polish".

You can find it all at https://github.com/taw00/dashcore-rpm -- Read the READMEs and then dive into the documentation directory.

Builds for Fedora 23, 24, 25, 26 and CentOS7, and Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 -- i686 and x86_64

Happy Dashing -t

Last edited:
Would it be possible to set up a private tDASH testnet? Maybe even separated from the internet.

I am looking into that topic for academic purposes but unfortunately even after hours of searching I couldn't find anything.
Help and Link would be very much appreciated :)

Thanks

Would it be possible to set up a private tDASH testnet? Maybe even separated from the internet.

I am looking into that topic for academic purposes but unfortunately even after hours of searching I couldn't find anything.
Help and Link would be very much appreciated :)

Thanks
Sure yeah get a vpn setup and run your own testnet i side a private network. I doubt there is a guide its all aspects of blockchain on private network, so you need it ALL setup.

Sure yeah get a vpn setup and run your own testnet i side a private network. I doubt there is a guide its all aspects of blockchain on private network, so you need it ALL setup.

OK. Kind of excited here :) So here is the roadmap as it shows in my head:
1. Go to Github > dashpay > dash and compile miner and masternode. Seems straight forward
2. Setting up a vpn environment. Seems straight forward, perhaps I am looking into virtualiziation.
3. Get Miners and Masternodes to run
? How do I tell my miners and masternodes to span a new network with each other and not with mainnet or official testnet?
? Are there any configfiles or do I have to change that inside the code?
? I am pretty sure I need a new genesis block. Is the genesis block compiled into the wallets and masternodes?
? How to get a faucet to receive my initial testDASH for the Masternodes?
4. Compile Wallets
? How do I tell these wallets to work on my testnet?
5. Setting up a Block Explorer
? Where can I I find the sources. Are they even available open source?

Thanks everybody for helping me out with these questions. I just need a small boost at the beginning of my project. Hopefully in the future I can contribute to the dash project...and some of our students too:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back