• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

12.1 Testnet Testing Phase Two Ignition

Status
Not open for further replies.
It used to work, wth the 12.1 client from bit more then week ago, tbh I do not see a real use case for it but the current behavior seems / feels off to me. (bad ux, I'm guessing @UdjinM6 needs to go over his changes ?)

Last edited:
It'll probably cost us hundreds to thousands of dollars a month
I doubt that it'll be thousands. Maybe a few hundred...

Unlike mining hardware, which is a vertical market where the manufacturer charges whatever the market will bear, cohosting is priced from a much broader market. We can use this to our advantage, while the shitcoin miners can't, and wouldn't even know how if you told them... They can plug in toasters. Anything beyond that is more than they can handle... Enter 3rd party MN services to consolidate and undermine the network...

The more cohosts accept crypto , the better. Looks like MNs aren't going to get any defense against aggressive, violent, coercive protection racketeers of any name...

I doubt that it'll be thousands. Maybe a few hundred...

Unlike mining hardware, which is a vertical market where the manufacturer charges whatever the market will bear, cohosting is priced from a much broader market. We can use this to our advantage, while the shitcoin miners can't, and wouldn't even know how if you told them... They can plug in toasters. Anything beyond that is more than they can handle... Enter 3rd party MN services to consolidate and undermine the network...

As for the first part, you are right. For less than 100 a month you can get pretty high-end dedicated server with uncapped data and DDOS protection. They are no different to operate the VPS that most of us use now. For your second point, I disagree. The increase in USD price of DASH is what made me switch off of node40. Pricing the service in DASH per month made it cost prohibitive and worth the trouble of actually running my own MN. When MN income becomes a larger part of my monthly income in the future, why would I leave money on the table by going with a more expensive centralized service?

As for the first part, you are right. For less than 100 a month you can get pretty high-end dedicated server with uncapped data and DDOS protection. They are no different to operate the VPS that most of us use now. For your second point, I disagree. The increase in USD price of DASH is what made me switch off of node40. Pricing the service in DASH per month made it cost prohibitive and worth the trouble of actually running my own MN. When MN income becomes a larger part of my monthly income in the future, why would I leave money on the table by going with a more expensive centralized service?
Leave money on the table now.
Leave money on the table later.

How expensive was that 10,000 BTC pizza?

When you look back and realize that you threw away $250,000 because you couldn't be asked to think...

Last edited:
I'm going to leave my tMN and tLP on v0.12.1.0-e2eaf1d for now. They're staying synced and seem to be functioning pretty well. I will probably update them in a few hours or so. Maybe by then a few more of those pull requests will be committed to the testing branch. :)

Version v0.12.1.0-f729d82 seems to really fix the syncing problems which i experienced with earlier version(s).
I will do some testing of the mixing, although with previous version(s) when my wallets did manage to completely sync (4 out of 6) .. they did mix without problem.

Update : here are the results of my mixing sessions, which i started through a previous version and finished with current version v0.12.1.0-f729d82 :

1aAkusB.png

This one looks good. It took 1 hour and 15 minutes to mix 70 Dash / 8 rounds.

HhUeX8O.png

This one overshot its target by 10 Dash and took 1 hour and 30 minutes to finish (target amount was 70 Dash)

0HjW5Kt.png

These two are pretty much right on target.

Last edited:
New version out in case nobody saw/checked :)

Indeed. I follow the LastestSuccessful builds. I.e., Last build was "Jan 30, 2017 8:31:50 AM":
https://dashpay.atlassian.net/builds/artifact/DASHL-DEV/JOB1/build-latestSuccessful/

These are what will be shipped. At least that has been my understanding.

I hoped that Feb 2 commits would be compiled already, but those are not yet compiled...

There is no way that translations can make to 12.1 release Feb 5.

OK, so if any of you have an update script or something, like me, you will need to notice that these updates are now located at a different place. You can see it was updated on page 1. We are now on protocol 70206 and latest update is today (Feb 2) Just FYI because I know a lot of people lurk and this thread is being ignored :p (slack is better)

OK, so if any of you have an update script or something, like me, you will need to notice that these updates are now located at a different place. You can see it was updated on page 1. We are now on protocol 70206 and latest update is today (Feb 2) Just FYI because I know a lot of people lurk and this thread is being ignored :p (slack is better)

Yup. I have an update script that reaches into the https://dashpay.atlassian.net/ as I mentioned above. And it stopped on the 30th. I figured, for hardening.

Um... what's the difference between the https://dashpay.atlassian.net/ latest builds and the https://bamboo.dash.org/ lastest builds?

I have three questions with regards to v12.1 on mainnet per 5 Feb :

1 : with the new path (user/dashcore/etc) in update 12.1 how do we avoid users downloading the whole blockchain again (ending up having duplicate blockchains) and possibly getting into trouble with limited diskspace ?
2 : there is some talk about 1000 MB RAM being minimal requirements for update 12.1 ? I have currently no problems with running 756MB RAM on my masternodes, will that change with update 12.1 ?
because frankly i was planning to upgrade my VPS package on a much later date (around the Evolution update).
3 : how fast do we need to upgrade our masternodes version to 12.1 ? Say for example one of our masternodes could be paid in two days (after 5 feb), is it okay to wait for those two days and then upgrade ?
Is there a certain "grace" time period ?

Last edited:
On point 2:

I've decided to bite the bullet and roll in a RAM upgrade to my VPS setup. These badboys are bringing in some serious income now that market price is rising. For the sake of an extra few $$ it's not worth the risk of having them lock up on me halfway through a payment cycle. It's a false economy (arguably always was in hindsight!) lol ;)

At the end of the day the MNs have got to go to the back of the queue anyway during this upgrade so there won't be a better opportunity this year to down your VPS(s) and get them geared up for Evolution. Sure, it might cost me an extra $100 in RAM I don't need before Evo 'goes live' but we're getting $130 every month per MN at current rates. :D

Cheers

Walter

@qwizzie Related to your third question, https://www.dash.org/forum/threads/details-on-the-feb-5th-update.12874/

There will be a grace period where both 12.0 and 12.1 are allowed. Maximizing masternode payment is a bit tricky. On one hand you want to upgrade when the majority of the miners shift from 12.0 to 12.1. But you also need to consider the masternodes' place in the queue.
All in all there is not a huge difference in payout, so just relax and do it when it suits you best :) (as long as it's within a few days)

Last edited:
I only ran my 256MB MNs as a symptom check for memory leaks and wasteful inefficiencies. I throw 2048 at them on testnet and they use it.

I still have an occasional node fall off the network even though the machine and daemon remain responsive. I haven't been able to track down why, but it's very rare. It seems like they just spontaneously get removed from the list without cause. The only discernible suspicious symptom is that it always happens within hours a payment being due. It leads me to suspect an exploit that lets someone push you off of a payment. But, I have nothing but that simple coincidence to support it.

12.1 is a complete departure from DASH as we know it, as far as the underlying code. Holding on to any old data is meaningless. You may as well apply the metrics of running a full node of a totally different coin. It's meaningless now. You should err on the side of caution. At these price points, a little fancier box is warranted. Trying to scrimp a few bucks a year for something that pays you $60/mo is kinda dumb. As @Walter said, false economy. Be prepared. Even if it seems like more than you really need, its going to be needed in the not to distant future. You'll just end up upgrading again... Plan ahead and upgrade once.

This has completely re-invented DASH, and the only thing that will be bigger than this step, will be DashDrive.

Oh, and @kodaxx 's project... DASH will finally live up to it's promises. No reason it should have taken this long... Better late than never.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back